IGNORED

Soulbuster's Non-Variant List of Homebrew Games Released

The bigger picture idea would be for BSR to release a newley programmed game and blow everyone's mind by expanding the original list to 126!

Personally, I still wouldn't consider a newly programmed game by a BSR part of the "original list." I would classify it in the same bucket as all other modern games. Even though some do not like the term, to me it would be as much "home-brew" as D2K, Space Patrol, Christmas Carol, Stonix, Ms. Pac-Man, Meteor, and all the other high-quality, professionally produced modern games.

-dZ.

• Like 1

Personally, I still wouldn't consider a newly programmed game by a BSR part of the "original list." I would classify it in the same bucket as all other modern games. Even though some do not like the term, to me it would be as much "home-brew" as D2K, Space Patrol, Christmas Carol, Stonix, Ms. Pac-Man, Meteor, and all the other high-quality, professionally produced modern games.

-dZ.

But what about a legacy game that is not among the 125?.... Something released only as a ROM previously (At least officially)?

Such as:

Super Pro European Bike Rally

Super Pro Auto Racing

Super Pro Horse Racing

Kareteka

Flight Simulator

Space Shuttle

Computer Corridor

Happy Holidays

Party Line

High Dive

Party Animals

Punch Line

Hypnotic Lights

Target Andromeda

Go for the Gold

MotU 2

Flashlight

Pizza Time

Magic Carpet

Hydroplane

Woody Woodpecker

Edit: Some of those never made it past the concept phase.

Edited by JasonlikesINTV
  • Like 1

-dZ.

Paddle Party by Elektronite will not classify to be added to the official original 125 (123) list? Edited by Rev
  • Like 1

But what about a legacy game that is not among the 125?.... Something released only as a ROM previously (At least officially)?

You mean like all the unofficial ROMs published in cartridge without a license? People around here have no trouble calling those "home-brews" either, so I don't see why an official license would make them different.

Let us be honest here, the 125 are the originally released games. Anything outside that set and released later is -- by definition -- not an "originally released game."

That is not to say that it has no value or that it won't be a nice collectible, just that it seems disingenuous to me to bundle it up with the 125. Extending that number right now also seems a bit of a play on collectors. Really, where does it end? Will the new games made for the Amico by Intellivision Entertainment be part of the "original set" because it was made by the original guys from Mattel?

-dZ.

• Like 3

The boxes, overlays, instructions, and PCBs are homebrew unless the graphics and text were used without permission.

What about the games that were first released by Intellivision Productions on Intellivision Lives/Rocks e.g. Deep Pockets, Takeover, League of Light, Robot Rubble. They were programmed before the Intellivision platform was retired in 1990. Do they remain unreleased/unfinished prototypes.

Edited by mr_me

-dZ.

To be honest, I was mostly kidding. But I also wasn't thinking about a game programmed by A BSR but an actual original release from Blue Sky Rangers, Inc. and how that could be viewed. Meaning, would that be different from anyone else releasing a post 125 game as this is the current iteration of the original company?

I also do not consider "homebrew" to be a bad label in any way. It's just a way to differentiate between new games and the original 125. It does not carry a negative connotation at all but it may be far too narrow a term for how we tend to use it here. I believe "Homebrew" should be reserved for original post 125 games programmed from scratch, "Post 125" for updated games or ports of ones made for other systems, and "Legacy Titles" for previously unreleased games that were programmed or contain code that was originally intended for release with the 125 but never made it to production. The problem with all of that is it gets a little bulky and would only serve to increase arguments even if it is more accurate. It's just easier to list all new releases as "homebrew" and not worry too much beyond that.

You mean like all the unofficial ROMs published in cartridge without a license? People around here have no trouble calling those "home-brews" either, so I don't see why an official license would make them different.

I agree but again, it's not so much that they are considering those to be homebrews as "New original program releases for a classic system" as they are simply saying those are post 125. Homebrew means different things to different people and I think its use as a general term is an oversimplification. But that genie is long since out of the bottle and the vernacular isn't going to change now.

Let us be honest here, the 125 are the originally released games. Anything outside that set and released later is -- by definition -- not an "originally released game."

I agree that the 125 should be left alone. But the argument could be made that it's not about being an "originally released game", as you could make the claim that can be applied to games made after the Mattel era, but that it's a game released by the "current iteration of the original company". The point of contention being where you apply weight to the word "original". I would side with you and list a new BSR Inc game as a Legacy Title and not alter the 125.

That is not to say that it has no value or that it won't be a nice collectible, just that it seems disingenuous to me to bundle it up with the 125. Extending that number right now also seems a bit of a play on collectors.

I don't think that would be any kind of play on collectors as you could all it anything you like and, as long as it's a new game, collectors will snap it up regardless. People would buy it just to have a new BSR game whether they claimed it as #126 or called it a homebrew themselves. But I understand your concern for continuity and that people are not getting duped.

Personally, I would like to see Blue Sky Rangers Inc. label any new releases they may create as the "Legacy Series" or some other moniker and market it as a new generation of original titles for the original hardware. That's seems much more genuine than trying to claim #126 onward but I can't deny that they have the right to do so either. I just believe something new would receive a warmer reception and eliminate any contention from their intended market.

Really, where does it end? Will the new games made for the Amico by Intellivision Entertainment be part of the "original set" because it was made by the original guys from Mattel?

The Amico is an entirely new system and those games will not be playable on original hardware. That would be akin to counting PS4 titles in the original PlayStation's game list.

• Like 2

I think that calling previously unreleased products being currently published "legacy series," sounds fair.

Like you, I don't find the moniker "home-brew" to be in any sense derogatory. In fact, I am immensely proud of calling Christmas Carol a "home-brew," because it was brewed 100% in my home from organic, all natural ingredients -- even though it's considered by many a highly polished and professionally released game. ;)

I don't really subscribe to calling everything a "home-brew" like some people do, but like you and Rev have said, it's mostly a shortcut for "post 125" and has been such since this community started.

All those unreleased ROMs harvested from T-Cards which were released by IntelligentVision are called "home-brew" by almost everybody here, even though they were very much a Mattel Electronics software production from back in the day.

I guess you and I are in agreement (fancy that!), there should be three classifications:

• Original 125 - Released during the original active reign of the Intellivision console, before it was discontinued, all the way through INTV Corp.
  • Post 125 - Anything newly developed after the Intellivision console was discontinued.
  • Legacy series - All previously unreleased products which would have been released back during the Intellivision's reign but were not, and are being released or officially re-released after an unofficial publication.

So far, people call the first one "Original 125," and the latter two "Home-Brew." What we need is a distinction between those last two. :)

-dZ.

P.S. Just because it feels a bit weird to agree with you, let me just ... :roll:

• Like 2

Holy crap, two people on the internet just agreed with each other...

]tumblr_n7xj7lxBOL1tdusq5o1_500.gif

HA!!!!

To be clear, I have always found DZ to be talented, generous and very dedicated to our little corner of the retro gaming community. We don't often agree on things, and we both are as stubborn as all get out in expressing it, but I have nothing but respect for Captain Eyeroll's contributions to the group.

P.S. Just because it feels a bit weird to agree with you, let me just ... :roll:

I may have wept had you left that out :lolblue:

• Like 2

HA!!!!

To be clear, I have always found DZ to be talented, generous and very dedicated our little corner of the retro gaming community. We don't often agree on things, and we both are as stubborn as all get out in expressing it, but I have nothing but respect for Captain Eyeroll's contributions to the group.

I may have wept had you left that out :lolblue:

:roll:

:grin:

• Like 1

Great list you keep up to date here!

Going over it and transferring info to my files I found a few things missing.

Figured I would mention them. You may have skipped them for a reason but maybe not. I know this is a non variant list, but you do specify the versions on each line for most.

So the air raid early bird prge release is not on here. As well as the Defender of the Crown demo cart.

Those are the only 2 not mentioned I think.

The rest is version info not added.

Bc's quest for tires had a limited and standard edition.

Christmas Carol had a CGE and standard edition.

Copter command had a limited and standard edition.

DK Arcade also had the loose cart with 1 page manual.

Hover Bover had the half cut and standard.

Old school had the loose cart with box upgrade kit and the standard.

Great list you keep up to date here!

Going over it and transferring info to my files I found a few things missing.

Figured I would mention them. You may have skipped them for a reason but maybe not. I know this is a non variant list, but you do specify the versions on each line for most.

So the air raid early bird prge release is not on here. As well as the Defender of the Crown demo cart.

Those are the only 2 not mentioned I think.

The rest is version info not added.

Bc's quest for tires had a limited and standard edition.

Christmas Carol had a CGE and standard edition.

Copter command had a limited and standard edition.

DK Arcade also had the loose cart with 1 page manual.

Hover Bover had the half cut and standard.

Old school had the loose cart with box upgrade kit and the standard.

Check here for those.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/286512-the-definitive-list-of-released-intellivision-homebrews/page-1

• Like 1