IGNORED

CV carts at local shop - worth the price?

williamc

There's a shop near me that specializes in books, DVDs, and games. They have lot of collectible stuff, and price it fairly close to online prices, sometimes a little more or less. They must have bought out somebody's ColecoVision collection or something because today they had a TON of rare carts, almost all with near mint labels. I picked up the following (all loose):

Motocross Racer: $10

Chuck Norris Superkicks: $10

Dam Busters - $8

Gust Buster - $10

Montezuma's Revenge - $20

Robin Hood - $20

Roller Controller - $15

Front Line (with manual) - $8

These seemed a little expensive to me so I didn't get them, but I'm not as up on CV prices as I used to be. Whaddya think... should I grab any of these before they're gone? These are the prices as best I can remember:

Q*bert's Qubes - $60

Sir Lancelot - $30

Tapper - $20

Choplifter - $15

Aquattack - $40

Crossforce - $30

Dukes of Hazzard - $15

Blockade Runner - $15

Dragonfire - $40

Spectron - $30

Oil's Well - $40

2010 Graphic Action Game - $20

Alphabet Zoo - $15

Facemaker - $15

Brainstrainers - $15

Jukebox - $15

Moonsweeper - $20

Threshold - $40

Bump n' Jump - $25

I already had these so I didn't buy them. Now I'm wondering if any of them would be worth picking up at these prices for later sale/trade?

BC's Quest for Tires II: Grog's Revenge - $8

Campaign '84 - $15

Sewer Sam - $20

Flipper Slipper - $15 (would be a minor label upgrade for me)

Pitstop - $20

Defender - $15

James Bond 007 - Wasn't priced

Frogger II - $20

Wing War - $30

Driving Controller - $25 (The one at the shop had the gas pedal, and mine doesn't)

I'm still shocked at seeing this stuff show up at a local shop. They rarely have stuff this good but occasionally great items come in. They had some boxed NES games yet to be priced that I'm eyeing too.

So these are all carts only, no boxes of manuals?

Correct: loose carts, but generally quite good labels. Only Front Line had a manual.

Couple others I just remembered:

Star Wars The Arcade Game - $30

Star Trek SOS - $20

Nova Blast - $15

Thanks for any input. Most prices felt a bit high to me. Many of the ones I bought were borderline too... but I didn't have to pay shipping, plus it's a rare experience these days to buy CV stuff in the "real" world (not online and not at a retro convention).

You can probably talk them down if you buy a bunch all at once, many of them are easily found elsewhere most especially Ebay.... The advantage though is that you can actually see first hand what they look like and know what you're getting... I've spent so much time collecting CV CIB and NIB, It would be pretty cool to have a complete loose cart collection and those titles would certainly fill some holes ... Loose carts are a great way to turn that fanatical collector back into that happy gamer he or she once was ... a lot easier on the wallet too...

Hehe, is it Book Off in Costa Mesa? If so, they got those carts in a few weeks ago. Book Off used to be a cheap place, but now they have a couple guys there that use PriceCharting.com to come up with insane prices.

There were about 40 or 50 carts originally. They hadn't been priced yet when I was there three weeks ago, so they refused to sell them to me. ;)

Hehe, is it Book Off in Costa Mesa? If so, they got those carts in a few weeks ago. Book Off used to be a cheap place, but now they have a couple guys there that use PriceCharting.com to come up with insane prices.

There were about 40 or 50 carts originally. They hadn't been priced yet when I was there three weeks ago, so they refused to sell them to me. ;)

That site lists Sammy Lightfoot @ $599.00 NIB, Spy Hunter @ $441.76 NIB ... The list is very much incomplete.... The site claims "The prices shown in the table above are the average prices for each Colecovision game over the last 7 days on eBay, Amazon.com and Half.com. The Coleco prices are updated daily. The price is what an individual would receive when buying or selling the game. To see more detailed prices and historic prices for any game, click the game's title."

That site lists Sammy Lightfoot @ $599.00 NIB, Spy Hunter @ $441.76 NIB ... The list is very much incomplete.... The site claims "The prices shown in the table above are the average prices for each Colecovision game over the last 7 days on eBay, Amazon.com and Half.com. The Coleco prices are updated daily. The price is what an individual would receive when buying or selling the game. To see more detailed prices and historic prices for any game, click the game's title."

I don't trust that site one bit. People can claim all they want that it only accounts for "sold" listings (which I doubt), but I know for a fact it doesn't account for games found within a lot. The trackers search for the name of a game, but don't notice if the game happened to be part of a group of others, which artificially affects the game's "value".

Edited by Zenimus

I don't trust that site one bit. People can claim all they want that it only accounts for "sold" listings (which I doubt), but I know for a fact it doesn't account for games found within a lot. The trackers search for the name of a game, but don't notice if the game happened to be part of a group of others, which artificially affects the game's "value".

Agreed...