IGNORED

High Score Competition (April: Starfort)

arcadeshopper

Road Hunter is a good game too. You have to keep moving to pick up fuel or game over.... no sitting around hoarding points in that one! :evil:

When the name of the game is HIGH SCORE..... ;)

EDIT: I could have just posted my screenshot at the end and kept my mouth shut. |:)

Edited by Sinphaltimus
  • Like 2

EDIT: I could have just posted my screenshot at the end and kept my mouth shut. | :)

I'm glad you didn't! I can just imagine how irritated people would be, myself included, not even coming close to that score. Now that I know what is involved, I'll bow out of this one. Thanks for saving us all time & aggravation.

• Like 1

Are you kidding me??? Can this happen with the original JetPac on the Spectrum? The respawning of the monsters is randomized to direction and location, but I suppose this could happen, and apparently it did. It would be harder to do this beyond the first level as the monsters become bouncy. Can you replicate this and maybe post a short video?

OK how about we do this: Instead of switching games yet again, let's make it a rule that one has to move on to the next level as soon as possible after fueling the rocket. Some hovering around and shooting will likely be necessary at that stage in order to make a safe exit, but it should not be deliberate stalling. There will of course be no way of enforcing that, so it will have to be an honor thing. If you want to make a video of your exploits like Discgolfer72, even better. It will however be much harder to sit around at the higher levels anyway. Kudos to Sinphaltimus for reporting that unusual quirk in the gameplay instead of keeping quiet, even though I can't seem to be able to replicate it.

Given that new rule, I will take out the latest scores by Sinphaltimus and keep his highest one prior. Opry99er, did you achieve that magnificent score by the wait and bait trick or through straight play?

JetPac Leaderboard

Tursi 6000

Discgolfer72 4700 (video backed)

Vorticon 3825

Sinphaltimus 3525

Omega 1275

Opry99er ?

Edited by Vorticon

I'm glad you didn't! I can just imagine how irritated people would be, myself included, not even coming close to that score. Now that I know what is involved, I'll bow out of this one. Thanks for saving us all time & aggravation.

Do you want to reconsider given the above? If not I'll take your entry out of the leaderboard because it would not be fair to you.

I spent an hour getting that score. We're playing within the game's mechanics (not cheating) of what it allows us to do. I really think we play it out as is (everyone has an equal shot to beat it - Oppery99er has taken to the challenge) - I don't think we should stick with the game if my score is discounted. I really want that Navarone. And anyone here can replicate my method at an attempt to beat me. So I think either we stick with it, or we change games, not change the rules. That would invalidate all my efforts and reporting.

I spent an hour getting that score. We're playing within the game's mechanics (not cheating) of what it allows us to do. I really think we play it out as is (everyone has an equal shot to beat it - Oppery99er has taken to the challenge) - I don't think we should stick with the game if my score is discounted. I really want that Navarone. And anyone here can replicate my method at an attempt to beat me. So I think either we stick with it, or we change games, not change the rules. That would invalidate all my efforts and reporting.

I get what you are saying, and your score was certainly obtained fair and square within the game rules. Frankly I'm not sure how we want to proceed here. I don't think many of us would want to try and challenge your score in the manner you did because it would not be that much fun to play, hence my suggestion.

Can I please have a show of hands on one of the following 3 options? I'll go with the whatever the majority decides:

• Play JetPac in any way you wish trying to maximize your score
  • Play JetPac with the modified rule I suggested
  • Switch to a new game

Let's try to get to a resolution quickly so we can get going with this :)

• Like 1

A lot of games are buggy, or are played in ways other than initially intended... The Super Mario Bros glitch where you jump on the turtle infinitely, increasing your extra lives up and beyond 100. In Morrowind, you can take a 100+ hour epic game and speed run it in 14 minutes by exploiting a suspect flag-checking mechanism.

Many games have unique characteristics that make it seem buggy. I just think there are multiple ways to play the game.

On my high score (so far) I did a bit of a combination of methods... I found a way to level out all the enemies to a flat trajectory below the platforms. I would then wait until an item dropped and then go to war by wiping out the enemies on my way down and then on my way back up again. Then it would take some time to train the bad guys to flatten back out, and then I would have to kill any that were flying above the platforms until they re-spawned below.

Really just having fun trying new things, and I think thats part of the fun. Really starting to like this game. :)

Edited by Opry99er
  • Like 1

I get what you are saying, and your score was certainly obtained fair and square within the game rules. Frankly I'm not sure how we want to proceed here. I don't think many of us would want to try and challenge your score in the manner you did because it would not be that much fun to play, hence my suggestion.

Can I please have a show of hands on one of the following 3 options? I'll go with the whatever the majority decides:

• Play JetPac in any way you wish trying to maximize your score
  • Play JetPac with the modified rule I suggested
  • Switch to a new game
Let's try to get to a resolution quickly so we can get going with this :)
Stick with this one whatever exploits are fine it's just a game and anyone can do them

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

I did take a short video last night demonstrating how I got it to work out for me. In the end, leaving the enemies alive below the platforms is what did me in because of air drops I couldn't grab in time. But the short video demonstrated the method flawlessly with the exception of missed air drops.

I can't upload it now because I'm currently uploading an unrelated video to YT (and have about 2 more hours to go) - but when that clears, I'll share my JP short clip here.

Sounds like you (Oppery993r) did pretty much the same thing I did except I never attacked the enemies after they settled below the platforms, I just avoided them as much as possible.

In hindsight, my point in sharing was out of guilt. It felt like it was cheating at first. And I thought there was no way anyone else could play this game for a significant amount of time without making the same discovery.
i don't cheat, I explore and exploit with what I'm given via the games I play themselves. My intent in sharing was to see if the community was OK with that in general OR we change games. Hence my BIAS in voting.

It really was as simple as - Why do I have to leave now? How long can I stay here for and do the airdrops continue to fall?

Vorticon - as an update to your version of the game, you may want to only do a fixed number of air drops. Say maybe 10 total to start +1 per level and increase their value by a lot (500 points). That would certainly force people to eventually leave the level because it's significantly harder to continually wipe out all enemies over and over again for too long when the reward for moving to the next level is so much better. I think that simple *fix* might mitigate this situation in the future.

Edited by Sinphaltimus

OK let's leave things as is then. I have revised the leaderboard accordingly. Omega I took your entry out since you bowed out. Let me know if you change your mind.

Looking forward to Sinphaltimus' video to learn the new trick so I can meaningfully compete :D

As for revising the game, I was actually thinking of placing countdown timer which starts as soon as a rocket is fully fueled to force the player to move on. But for that I will have to re-familiarize myself with the code and all that entails. Maybe at some point in the future... It's interesting that no one ever reported such an exploit in the original Spectrum JetPac, so I guess Sinphaltimus gets discovery credits!

JetPac Leaderboard

Sinphaltimus 30575

Opry99er 13775

Tursi 6000

Discgolfer72 4700

Vorticon 3825

Edited by Vorticon
  • Like 2

Also, you dont have to fill the rocket up with fuel to exploit the platform *feature*.In this way, you dont see advancing as the goal, you look at advancing as a *bad thing*.

On my high score, I accidentally ran into the fully fueled ship, and that is what sent me to the next level.

• Like 2