IGNORED

High Score Competition (March: The Mine)

arcadeshopper

• 2 weeks later...

This game is interesting so as the history behind it. In another thread (currently I can’t find it) I learnt that the game was originally released both in disk format for EA env and on tape for the Mini-mem, by 2 different publishers. For collecting purposes, I would be interested in the original releases, especially the Mini-mem one. Are them available somewhere?

It is also very nice that there is a GitHub with the source and some binary re-crested by Eric LaFontaine. ?

I am playing it with the rpk that I downloaded by this GitHub.

On 2/13/2022 at 11:57 AM, Count9929A said:

This game is interesting so as the history behind it. In another thread (currently I can’t find it) I learnt that the game was originally released both in disk format for EA env and on tape for the Mini-mem, by 2 different publishers. For collecting purposes, I would be interested in the original releases, especially the Mini-mem one. Are them available somewhere?

It is also very nice that there is a GitHub with the source and some binary re-crested by Eric LaFontaine. ?

I am playing it with the rpk that I downloaded by this GitHub.

The original release was for the MiniMemory, and was titled Boulder Dash. That release was by Legio Computers in Holland. I doubt there are more than 50 original copies of this in circulation (and it was available on cassette or disk, as my original was on disk).

Asgard released the EA version about a year later, but changed the name to Rock Runner to avoid potential name conflicts. That one was disk only. It is somewhat more common than the LCC version for the MiniMemory, but it is still a bit tough to find an original.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ksarul said:

Asgard released the EA version about a year later, but changed the name to Rock Runner to avoid potential name conflicts. That one was disk only. It is somewhat more common than the LCC version for the MiniMemory, but it is still a bit tough to find an original.

I see... 

Any chance to find a copy of the LCC version for the Mini Memory? (either on tape or on disk)?

Score 3567, in a quick try starting from screen F (in Mame) -- with an unfair advantage as the developer.

Some tips:

• You can let monsters run in a loop by digging a long or short corridor counter-clockwise before them. That can keep them out of  the way.
  • You can create a lot of diamonds without much risk by letting diamond butterflies run into the expanding lava (animated green stuff, e.g. on screen F and my favorite H).
  • You can create diamonds without requiring precise timing by dropping a boulder on diamond butterflies from a vertical corridor.

If the game character dies in a pile of diamonds, the world continues running without him. You need to press space to restart.

I only have the original Mini Memory version on an old cassette tape, which I haven't tried in decades, but it's essentially the same as the EA version.

0000.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The game is rather difficult, and I didn't have enough time to understand fully the dynamics.

I was only able to complete level A ?

But I will try more in the future!

@Eric: I am interested in the MiniMemory version because I have a strange fascination for that environment, and I find truly remarkable that you accomplished to create this wonderful game with just the MiniMemory!

Does the Minimemory version requires the 32K, or does it run with just the MiniMem cart?

sc-1604-MAME-60hz.png

On 2/28/2022 at 6:49 PM, Count9929A said:

@Eric: I am interested in the MiniMemory version because I have a strange fascination for that environment, and I find truly remarkable that you accomplished to create this wonderful game with just the MiniMemory!

Does the Minimemory version requires the 32K, or does it run with just the MiniMem cart?

The MiniMemory module is great -- 4 KB of battery-backed RAM and access to assembly! The assembly code of Rock Runner fits in the 4 KB, at the time allowing me to work on it more easily (with the line-by-line assembler or in hexadecimal). The 32 KB memory expansion is needed for the game screens, which I could load from tape (all of them or just a few, for development and testing).

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Eric Lafortune said:

Let me propose Restless II by @sometimes99er as the next game for this competition (announcement, cartridge binary, video, short review ). It's a space shooter with a simple concept but nice attention to detail, quick to play and smooth. I don't think it has been in the competition before.

Thank you.

image.png.5fea848346d8254bd97d3a36c23291ff.png

• Like 2