IGNORED

High Score Competition (April: Starfort)

arcadeshopper

This was one of the games I had as a kid. I often got it confused with Tombstone City. Neither one of them really got my interest back then. Probably because Parsec, Munch Man, and Tunnels of Doom were so awesome. And Football.

Now that we get to focus on it for the game of the month, I'm finding it quite fun. I like how the enemies change with each day, kinda like in Munch Man. I now know what a "day" is, and how to actually move from one day to the next. I didn't figure that out until this week.

I want to give the enemies names.. like "backwards shooting crossbow guys" and "infinite ladders"...you'll see as you unlock them.

Good luck everyone. Now that we have survived Valentines Day, we can get back to some retrocomputing awesomeness.

• Like 1

I think Chisholm Trail deserves a special prize as the game with the highest degree of abstraction from its title and background story.

I second your prize motion!

Yeah it's pretty far from a dusty cattle drive through Texas to the railhead at Abilene, Kansas. The converging cattle drive routes were called the Chisholm Trail.

The way I see it, you camp each night with your 16 cows in a perfectly square herd. Square cows. They wander off one at a time when you're not standing guard on the herd. You have to track them down and lasso them with bullets. Their actual fate would be a bullet in the head at the slaughterhouse in Chicago, but the game gets it done early.

Meanwhile, mutant rattlesnakes with lasers of vengeance approximate the risk of stepping on a rattlesnake in the brush.

Each day, a new cowboy joins you to replace the attrition.

At the title screen of the game, the blinking dot of attention-grabbing represents TI CEO J. Fred Bucy, who wants TI to invest lots of money in Lubbock, Texas. Lubbock was not on the Chisholm Trail. This is the rare appearance in a TI game of an actual employee. After he was forced out in 1985, J. Fred Bucy no doubt continued to haunt the wide hallways of TI as a bouncing 8-bit circle going "Weep, weep", that is when he was not busy sailing his yacht in the Gulf of Mexico.

Shift 8-3-8 on the title screen represents the ability that all Chisholm Trail cowboys had to utilize an underground warp network to bypass the boring parts of the cattle drive.

Chisholm Trail.. what a weird and semi-lovable game on our platform.

Edited by FarmerPotato
  • Like 5