IGNORED

High Score Competition (March: The Mine)

arcadeshopper

I remember back in 1984 when I got Pirate's Adventure, being the first adventure game I ever played. I sat with my friends in front of the TV set, and we were heading around cluelessly in those first rooms. Then I said, "hey, look, there is something new! The screen has turned red! Don't know what that means, though." - "How did you do that?" - "I climbed out of the window and said JUMP. Funny that this is the way to go on in the game..." Later I found that red means dead.

• Like 5

The game has only two treasures. Not sure what all you want for pics. Here is the final score screen. I do have the notes I made while playing (not a traditional map), but since this is ongoing, I'll hold off on including those.

EDIT: I somehow overlooked the post that said we could play any one we liked. Oh well, here's Pirate Adventure anyway!

post-39633-0-13322300-1551994027_thumb.jpg

Edited by majestyx
  • Like 3

We should also consider an Infocom adventure. I'm currently (hah, for some months...) trying to solve Planetfall, and I am that close --->||<---- to searching for a walkthru...

Noooo! Don't look for a walkthrough! You will eventually solve it :)

As to using Infocom adventures, these tend to be much harder, and a month will likely not be enough except for the fanatical player... On that topic, is there a compilation of the Infocom titles for the TI?

fb414e01c7d613b79424aa968b94f806.jpg

This was a fun trip down memory lane. Pirate adventure finally solved.

I have four of these adventures on cassette. Will try “strange odyssey” next.

Depending on if I can get it to load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm currently playing Savage Island 1, and my (bad) memories are coming back ... This game (the second I played back in those days) is almost ridiculously difficult. I used the Adventure Editor to analyse it, and there are some points that are practically beyond guess. Sorry, Scott, that was way over the top.

Savage Island 1 makes it especially cumbersome to play, since there are some dead ends without warning (you can reach an area where you will never return from when you do not have some special object in your inventory), you cannot save the game in critical situations, and the probabilities are set in a way that makes it much more likely you will die than you achieve some state that allows you to advance.

For example, you have to produce salt from seawater. There is only one location where this will work, a hot cliff, which may seem logical. However, the evaporation is not controlled by time but by probability, which is set to 10%. So you cannot say WAIT but you must do some action, like LOOK. 10% means that you have to do 7 actions so that the probability of a hit is higher than 50%. When you don't know what to do, and you pour the water on the cliffs and have to repeat LOOK for 10 times without anything happening, is it highly likely that you won't do that ever again.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

TI-99/4A High Score Challenge

Month: April 2019

Game: Dragon’s Lair

60f8199a10b25ab6ce10c35be5be3e51.jpg

d4683a46e1d43557bda048eb30b4a344.jpg

1c0c91b673c2c35ddd12706aff06ba9b.jpg

Scoring: live as long as you can. Use any difficulty, any order, and hints on or off. Just get the highest score you can.

Prize: Sam’s TI-99/4A 51 Fun and Educational Programs book and cassette. I will pay shipping.

I picked this game because it is brand new thanks to Tursi and I believe there are 155 copies in the wild.

Let’s put in some time enjoying this amazing game!

• Like 1

I respectfully disagree with the choice, not because of the game which is an amazing feat, but because of the steep cost of entry and no emulation option. I think we should only pick games that are freely available to download and play so as not to marginalize some of the players here. My 2 cents...

• Like 3

I respectfully disagree with the choice, not because of the game which is an amazing feat, but because of the steep cost of entry and no emulation option. I think we should only pick games that are freely available to download and play so as not to marginalize some of the players here. My 2 cents...

post-27864-0-21024900-1554208219.jpg

• Like 2

Thank you for the reply. I will put it under consideration.

My $0.02 is that the participation in these competitions has been pretty low over the past few months despite all of the games being readily accessible. And that there is a feverish pitch over the release of Dragon’s Lair.

I’d like to capitalize on that energy and encourage all 155 new owners of this remarkable release to play and post and discuss.

I think that others will also enjoy reading about the game as well.

And it is only one month.

I’ll wait to see if I’m totally off base here before changing the game.

Please let me know if you agree or disagree by Thursday night. I’d like to have a clear focus for gamers before the weekend.

• Like 1

Well judging that just one person (Thank you Home Automation) liked my suggestion, I'll go with the group and change the game.

TI-99/4A High Score Challenge

Month: April 2019

Game: Blasto

Scoring: Single player any mode you want

Instructions: http://www.videogamehouse.net/blasto.txt