IGNORED

High Score Competition (March: The Mine)

arcadeshopper

• 4 weeks later...

*********************************************************************************

*********************************************************************************

TI-99/4A High Score Challenge

Month: January 2020

Game: TIX, by @Asmusr

I used to like QIX in the arcade.   I remember the game being really hard requiring the player to balance greed and being too conservative. 

Please see this thread for more information on the development of TIX.

Latest files as of 1/9/20 are attached.

tix.dsk tix.rpk tix8.bin

• Like 3

To incentivize more people playing this game, there will be a prize.

The winner of this contest will receive an Arduino Starter Set similar to this one:

https://www.amazon.com/ELEGOO-Project-Tutorial-Controller-Projects/dp/B01D8KOZF4/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=arduino+starter+kit&qid=1578775830&sr=8-4

Good luck.

• Like 2

One more thing - to aid in my fun factor for the month, I'm not bowing out of the competition as was suggested earlier.   I am not going to pass on playing Rasmus' latest game.  

However, if I do end up getting the high score, I will award the prize (and the selection of next month's game) to the runner up.

If you haven't played with an Arduino before, you're in for a treat.   I know most of you would be interested in this prize, and if you are not, please give it to a young student with interest in making.

I still think about a "Championship" for TI games, classic TI games, to be precise. Not sure whether this is interesting for the rest of you, but if so, I could envisage the following:

Every month has one game.

The person with the highest score is awarded 12 points, second gets 8 points, third gets 4 points, fourth gets 2 points, and the fifth gets 1 point.

The points replace the points of the previous year, thus, you could reach at max 144 points.

The ranking is updated every month. This is like the Tennis ATP ranking, not like the Formula 1 ranking (which adds up until the end of the year and then resets).

The games should be mainly from the early times, like Parsec, TI Invaders, Alpiner, Munch Man, Tombstone City, maybe some later games line Micro Pinball 2, Slymoids, Defender, Centipede, Super Demon Attack, Barrage, and Shamus. Just a suggestion. We could also do a "modern" Championship in parallel. The games should have an unbounded score.

• Like 3

TI-99/4A High Score Challenge

Month: January 2020

Game: TIX, by@Asmusr

I used to like QIX in the arcade.   I remember the game being really hard requiring the player to balance greed and being too conservative. 

Please see this thread for more information on the development of TIX.

Latest files as of 1/9/20 are attached.

tix.dsk tix.rpk tix8.bin
Tricky game... I'm off my game lol. I think high score so far is like 1800... will keep trying for something better well done though my 6 year old gave it a go too .... he's been jaded by modern "participation trophy" gaming.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

On 1/11/2020 at 2:27 PM, mizapf said:

I still think about a "Championship" for TI games, classic TI games, to be precise. Not sure whether this is interesting for the rest of you, but if so, I could envisage the following:

Every month has one game.

The person with the highest score is awarded 12 points, second gets 8 points, third gets 4 points, fourth gets 2 points, and the fifth gets 1 point.

The points replace the points of the previous year, thus, you could reach at max 144 points.

The ranking is updated every month. This is like the Tennis ATP ranking, not like the Formula 1 ranking (which adds up until the end of the year and then resets).

The games should be mainly from the early times, like Parsec, TI Invaders, Alpiner, Munch Man, Tombstone City, maybe some later games line Micro Pinball 2, Slymoids, Defender, Centipede, Super Demon Attack, Barrage, and Shamus. Just a suggestion. We could also do a "modern" Championship in parallel. The games should have an unbounded score.

I like your idea.    Here is the current "Championship" for TI games - most recently recorded 12 months:

Screen Shot 2020-01-19 at 12.08.03 PM.png

• Like 4

7 hours ago, mizapf said:

The important point is that the games reappear each year, so you have to defend your last score. Or replace your failure last time with a glorious fight.

And repeat the same games over and over again?    Sounds limiting to me.  

I like new glorious fights.    

I did not mean to replace the current competition; there we can enjoy new fights all over the time. Until all games will have been played.

My proposal is to introduce a second event with recurring challenges. I believe many of us have their favorite games which they would like to play again. Often, during the current competition, you finally gained some skills, and then the month is over. I'd like to play Munch Man, Parsec, and TI Invaders again, but we had all of them years ago.

I'd find it interesting to have such a fixed collection of games, and maybe one could have another championship with another set of games ("TI Classics", "Atarisoft challenge", "Modern games"). You may have to play two or more games per month to keep your rank in all of these ... which may get a bit stressful, I see. ?

We may have to stretch the periods if we don't have 12 games in a category, i.e. just every two months, or every six weeks.

Repetition is just the crucial point here, it is not a limitation.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

TIX High Scores - January 2020

1. jwild 303028

2. Mehridian Sanders 70840

3. jblenkle 24097

Congratulations to Mehridian for winning the Arduino Starter Set!   I will PM to collect information for shipping.

Thank you to all that played.

Mehridian: your turn to pick the game of the month.

• Like 2

Here's my score- 25486.  I dorked around this for a little over an hour this past week.

For my two cents (1.5 adjusted for inflation), I kind of like when the 'old' games are selected for the HS competition- whether it's the Atarisoft ones or the old TI ones.  I'm more likely to play if it's a game I'm familiar with.

Capture.JPG

• Like 4