IGNORED

High Score Competition (April: Starfort)

arcadeshopper

• 2 weeks later...

Tex Turbo and the Big Bug Battles – April 2020

Thank you to Marc Hull for creating this game!

1. FarmerPotato    82500

2. Globeron            52500

3. Jwild                   48800

4. Tursi                    34500

5. Roadrunner       5400

6. Jblenkle              600

FarmerPotato, would you like to select a new game?   Congratulations on that great score. 

Any tips for how you did it?   I have a feeling you get a lot more points when you eliminate several bugs at one time.  I was too busy concentrating to watch the score change.   Your score seemed quite high for the level you were on, so I have a feeling you were racking up points by doing something special.

Thank you to everyone for playing.   Happy May!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, jwild said:

Thank you to Marc Hull for creating this game!

FarmerPotato, would you like to select a new game?   Congratulations on that great score. 

Any tips for how you did it?   I have a feeling you get a lot more points when you eliminate several bugs at one time..

May’s game shall be Spot Shot, or Dragonflyer. 

im disappointed that Tex Turbo doesn’t award any more points for combos. And only for killing bugs.  I just played it a lot and got in the flow starting at speed 3.

Wait, do you get 100xStarting speed? I got 300 points per bug throughout the game. 

Onward to Spot Shot! Good luck to all!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, FarmerPotato said:

im disappointed that Tex Turbo doesn’t award any more points for combos. And only for killing bugs.  I just played it a lot and got in the flow starting at speed 3.

Wait, do you get 100xStarting speed? I got 300 points per bug throughout the game. 

Is that what it is, i could not figure it out. Always started with speed 1.  Agree on the combos or longer than 5 in a row, etc. But excellent game enjoyed it. Took 2.5 hours i believe to get there.... spot shot, love the game!

• Like 1

On 5/2/2020 at 12:23 PM, FarmerPotato said:

Is that what it is, i could not figure it out. Always started with speed 1.  Agree on the combos or longer than 5 in a row, etc. But excellent game enjoyed it. Took 2.5 hours i believe to get there.... spot shot, love the game!

Real TI. 13250

20200503_160611.jpg

• Like 3

I found Spot Shot by searching the messages.   Here are both Spot Shot and Dragonflyer.   I played one quick game of Spot Shot after several yesterday of Dragonflyer.   They are "very similar".   I can't tell just yet if playability is any different between the two.    It is interesting in that the two file sizes are different.

Download them both and see for yourself and let us know what you think.

Good luck.

SPOTSHOT32KB8.bin dragonflyer.bin

• Like 4

On 5/5/2020 at 12:30 AM, jwild said:

I found Spot Shot by searching the messages.   Here are both Spot Shot and Dragonflyer.   I played one quick game of Spot Shot after several yesterday of Dragonflyer.   They are "very similar".   I can't tell just yet if playability is any different between the two.    It is interesting in that the two file sizes are different.

Download them both and see for yourself and let us know what you think.

Good luck.

SPOTSHOT32KB8.bin 32 kB · 4 downloads dragonflyer.bin 16 kB · 4 downloads

On the retropie i do not get further than around 5600-ish...

My score 34230. I don't think I've seen level 7 until now.

Capture.thumb.PNG.e477dddce291683b6566ff88656fe56f.PNG

Some things I started to notice in the game:

After level 4, you get a big bonus, then level 5 seems easier. Like how in Munch Man, the Hoono levels come in groups of 3, then the next group starts off easier, then ramps up.   Level 4 I think is the twisty little chains of squirted out toothpaste? I suspect Level 5, Bricks in a Wall, only looks easier. 

Making the weakness holes bigger: I try to decide if I'm shooting the leading edge or the trailing edge of the weak spot. 

Do the holes line up again naturally? I guess the pattern repeats at regular intervals, but I'm not sure they align. I'm too busy shooting to observe!

The time spent lasering all the way to the right and off the screen, is time you are not lasering any pixels.   Which means more pixels in your way. 

You get more points per bug when shooting all the way over to the right. 10 when shot in the column right in front of you, 50 when it's way over to the right. The amounts go up after some levels. I saw 30-70.

Overall, this game is really well designed, as you would expect from Sofmachine. Maybe someone can list out all their games (Qmaze/Jumpy, Barrage?) , as well as prior games of the programmers.. I believe it's the A's of the A list of TI game programmers.

• Like 1

It's just so weird that Databiotics would sell it as a cartridge under one name one year and sell it under a completely different name the next.  In the Triton Fall 87 catalogue, it's Spot-Shot, and in the Fall 88 catalogue, it's Dragonflyer.  With almost exactly the same blurb, and the same cartridge code.  At least with TI Runner/Star Runner and SPAD XIII/Red Baron, they were in each case producing a cartridge release of a game not previously released in cartridge form and originally released by somebody else.  Rebranding a game you yourself released the previous year in the same format is next level silly. 

Fall 88:

image.png.df43500b50cf21e08a4a70453d8ba64f.png

Fall 87:

image.png.0e5eb2e038f091ee46f58753dd18dfde.png

Does anyone here have the "Dragonflyer" cartridge or manual?  If so, was it fully rebranded, there?

Edited by pixelpedant
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, mizapf said:

Renamings occasionally happen because of copyright issues (remember Phoenix -> Firebird -> Firefox). Maybe this was the case here... 

Good thought.  It does seem like there was a C64 game of this era also called Spot Shot.  In this case and this era, though, DBT is kind of notorious for renamed rereleases.  So I feel like it's more likely this is just late-80s DBT being late-80s DBT. 

9 hours ago, pixelpedant said:

Good thought.  It does seem like there was a C64 game of this era also called Spot Shot.  In this case and this era, though, DBT is kind of notorious for renamed rereleases.  So I feel like it's more likely this is just late-80s DBT being late-80s DBT. 

DBT had a thing for renaming their cartridges after a year or two--pretty much all of their cartridges went through a rebranding at some point. Some of them are much more difficult to find in one or the other of the two names they used for the same code, but the rebranding was complete, in that the manuals had the names updated as well.