IGNORED

High Score Competition (March: The Mine)

arcadeshopper

6 hours ago, MarkSetGo said:

I thought I would summarize the September 2020 results:

• 108,900  -  MarkSetGo
  • 101,600  -  JWild
  •  98,000  -  Globeron
  •  82,800  -  Count9929A
  •  56,600  -  RoadRunner

This is my first victory, so it's a big deal!  LOL

Congratulations MarkSetGo!

I think my score for the competition should be 73000, since I obtained 82800 playing on a PAL TI99. The game is noticably slower and easier. This doesn't change the ranking, though.

I have a question for you and JWild and Globeron. In Level 2, area 3 there are three enemy base that are "protected" by the black mirrors. I tried hard to kill the bases but failed. Is there a way to kill them (if so, please do not spoiler) or one can only avoid their attacks?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Count9929A said:

"protected" by the black mirrors.  Is there a way to kill them?

I've never been able to destroy those either.

Towards the end of each game, much more of my time was spent avoiding and playing defense.  Of course, we don't get points for defensive moves, so it was getting easier to die, and harder to get points. 

If there is a secret to destroying those mirrors, that would open up a bunch of new levels for me too.

On 10/7/2020 at 4:29 AM, Count9929A said:

Congratulations MarkSetGo!

I think my score for the competition should be 73000, since I obtained 82800 playing on a PAL TI99. The game is noticably slower and easier. This doesn't change the ranking, though.

I have a question for you and JWild and Globeron. In Level 2, area 3 there are three enemy base that are "protected" by the black mirrors. I tried hard to kill the bases but failed. Is there a way to kill them (if so, please do not spoiler) or one can only avoid their attacks?

I normally played with the airplane as far as possible up. And shoot the bases behind the mirror aiming the cross. But believe can only hit 2. The one on the left you have to wait until it shoots then go to left and shoot behind the mirror. In level 3 i go to the right wait until they shoot and then to the left behind the mirrors cannot hit them as well.  I did get a form of RSI in my arm playing the game and stopped, never had that before....maybe getting old?

• Thanks 1

Note:

when pressing "Y" (Fire) you can lay bricks or remove them, totally forgot about this,

but I remembered when I was a kid there was something extra in this game.

Not sure if it is useful in the game play to get a higher score, or to keep ghosts away.

312812925_SCF5242020_10_1022_55.thumb.jpg.d25f6c63c698d581b3d4c3197dd5012e.jpg

1974346832_SCF5252020_10_1022_57.thumb.jpg.bac9ed952d7df06755eba4b31d6eecf5.jpg

SCF 523 2020.10.10 22.54.jpg

Edited by globeron
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Count9929A said:

I have a question about this game. It seems to me that this was a commercial game, BITD. In which format was it originally released? Cart or disk?

I think the former is in many MAME collection, but the latter can be found in the gameshelf.

It was released (or at least advertised in multiple sources) on cart by all of Software Specialties (original developer), Exceltec/Sunware, and DataBiotics. I know for the fact that the first and third received wide distribution.  Don't know what the real distribution on the second was.  Probably not much.

• Thanks 1

I can't entirely make up my mind about how much I like this game.  At the time I got it long ago, my initial reaction had been that enemy motion was just too random.  I didn't play it a lot.

My reaction upon further consideration is that it definitely does have some interesting strategy, surrounding manipulation of enemy movement. 

But I still feel enemy movement is a bit too random for its strategic aspects to shine as they might.

I wonder if it might be a better game if enemy motion was randomised at branch points (or weighted in favour of player position) but did not involve spontaneous change of direction.

• Like 1

Well, haven't been able to top that 16100 level 15 I got earlier.  But here's a 14620.  I think it was level 12.  I was a lot more efficient on the early levels.

image.thumb.png.95dd06c9154ada8985db69e57eab4ce7.png

Curiously, I have found that I am better at this game when coming at it "fresh" and actually get worse over the course of a long play session.  I think I start overthinking it, and obsessing over (and wasting too much time on) destruction patterns rather than simply pursuing optimal paths. 

I do find the game's strategy interesting and enjoyable now, in a way I didn't as much, BITD. 

But you have to be in the mood for a game that's about mitigating randomised risk rather than about perfecting play in a way that eliminates risk. 

I suppose Classic Tetris is another game I enjoy which has this quality.  What you're presented with is highly random, and very well could just kill you at any time through little fault of your own.  But playing well is about responding in a way that manages and minimises risk, while maximising score. 

To quote Jean-Luc Picard:

"It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not weakness; that is life."

• Like 1