IGNORED

High Score Competition (March: The Mine)

arcadeshopper

On 5/4/2020 at 1:30 PM, jwild said:

I found Spot Shot by searching the messages.   Here are both Spot Shot and Dragonflyer.   I played one quick game of Spot Shot after several yesterday of Dragonflyer.   They are "very similar".   I can't tell just yet if playability is any different between the two.    It is interesting in that the two file sizes are different.

Download them both and see for yourself and let us know what you think.

Good luck.

SPOTSHOT32KB8.bin 32 kB · 11 downloads dragonflyer.bin 16 kB · 9 downloads

Thanks! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ksarul said:

DBT had a thing for renaming their cartridges after a year or two--pretty much all of their cartridges went through a rebranding at some point. Some of them are much more difficult to find in one or the other of the two names they used for the same code, but the rebranding was complete, in that the manuals had the names updated as well.

What about: 

* Hen Pecked and Chick Coop  (and turn on the lovely sound!)

* I believe there are a few more for the TI, need to check on that

* (and I believe Defender and a similar version (not on the TI-99/4a)--> Stargate (

• Like 1

Having looked carefully (I think) at extended gameplay recordings for the Spot Shot and Dragonflyer dumps (or maybe EA conversion, in the Spot Shot case), and played them both to level 10+, I really can't find any significant differences.  Played both for a good long while the last few days, and compared footage.  But it seems like exactly the same game to me.  Just seems like they got rid of the words "Spot Shot" in the upper left there, for "Dragonflyer".  Didn't even add a DataBioTics credit or copyright notice, or add the word "Dragonflyer" anywhere in-game.  I could definitely be missing something.  But I don't see any differences, in the game board, pattern sequence, enemies sequence, etc.  Just the missing words "Spot Shot". 

Edited by pixelpedant
  • Like 3

Yeah, the strategy's deeper than you might first guess.  Though one arrives at the basic strategy fairly intuitively, I'd say.  Particularly given the game inherently gives you "weak points" in most wall types which inherently encourage regular placement of periodically aligning holes (which is what you really want).  I recorded a video with a bunch of gameplay (as I am wont to do), if that helps (skip to 8:05 if you just want gameplay):

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

May's game was SpotShot, or Dragonflyer, by Jim Dramis/Softmachine later published by Databiotics.

I hope you all enjoyed this, it's one of my favorite games on the TI. The strategy is tough to figure
out, but now we have a video guide to the game :)

I didn't know it was possible to get to level 15 but y'all inspired me early on to keep practicing.
I forgot to post my improved scores, but I would still be in 5th place! Congratulations to everybody
who either tested the waters or blew through a dozen levels!

fimbulvetr     6210
farmerpotato  34230
globeron      74190 level 12
mizapf        79000 level 15
pixelpedant  102540 level 15
jwild        120880 level 15

Next,  Jwild picks the game for the month of June.

P.S. why the variability in score at level 15? I consistently get about 5000 per level, with the 10000 bonus after each 3. Is it possible to miss the bonus? Is mizapf playing a different version of the game?

• Like 1

There's going to be a lot of variability in the number of bonus beetles each person manages to hit, and the distances (since this is scaled by distance like other scoring) at which they manage to hit them, is one major source of variability, I'd say.  More so than other scoring, since hitting the bonus beetles is in no way required, as killing other enemies is. 

Hello all,

Sorry to be a slacker.   Game of the month for June 2020 is Arcturus.   I have only played it a couple of times to see if it is suitable for a month of playing.

I see that pixelpedant has a nice thread about Arcturus/Zaxxon clones here.

And a nice YouTube video by acadiel here.   And a really good history lesson by Pixel here.

ROM attached - requires 32k memory.

Get your isometric perspective skills going and have fun!

arcturus.bin

Edited by jwild
added another youtube video.
  • Like 2