IGNORED

High Score Competition (March: The Mine)

arcadeshopper

The trickiest part, for me at least, are the mines. 

On the first course I slow the vehicle down to the slowest speed and then jump the mines that way.  This does require precision jumping, which I cannot do with a joystick.  I find that switching to the keyboard during this makes things a lot easier.

There is an exception to the speed rule above - I will speed up the vehicle to make a jump when there are two mines that are right next to each other.  There is usually a third mine nearby that needs to be avoided as well, and for me there is always some luck involved as to not hit one of the three.

On the second course, the mines always seem to get me.  I always die in the same spot, which is shown in my final attempt.  This spot seems to have gotten @globeron as well:

• Like 2

*********************************************************************************

*********************************************************************************

TI-99/4A High Score Challenge

Month: October, 2019

Game: Turmoil, by @PeteE

turmoil.png

turmoilc.bin turmoil.rpk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

eaf4c8975fd7df1cd46b63ae9e22d9e8.jpg

94820 is my first submittal.

I played a few more times and I went over 100000. The score appeared to “roll” and only displayed 4 digits. I think I saw it going DOWN and then back up? If I can get that far again I’ll look closer. That game reached level 8. I guess I’ll submit 105040, but I think the up/down messed with the score.

c0a039bf0a7eea0e2e4c1c0aa3250950.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Now that I think about it for a few minutes, I think that after rolling over 100000, it only displays 4 digits.    So the "up/down" is probably just going up, but after each 10000 it appears to go back to 0000 and then go up again.    So I bet I scored 115040 or maybe 125040.   

It is a really fun game that I had never heard of.   I have since learned that PeteE wrote this version and that it was originally an Atari 2600 game.  

While playing, I have often thought it feels like Tempest.   It has a lot of qualities I love in a game.   Thank you, PeteE, for creating and sharing it with us.

I also think the sounds are really good.   

The animation in between games felt like an Atari 2600 game, so that made me curious to see if it was a remake.

I looked locally for the Atari 2600 version, but haven't been able to find it to compare.

TI-99/4A High Score Challenge

Month: November, 2019

Game: Eric in Monsterland, by @Retrospect

Seems like this would be a good choice for October.    But it will do for November.  

Good luck everyone.

eric8.bin Monsterland.zip Monsterland EA5.zip

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...