IGNORED

High Score Competition (March: The Mine)

arcadeshopper

Sorry I wasn't clear.  I mean here, circled in green.  I can see it flicker when entering this screen. It's open at the start of the game, but later it starts growing upward / getting blocked off.  Do I have a different version of the game?

caveclosing2.thumb.png.4731d2b78968785db8392b26bbdd96b9.png

Edited by PeteE
  • Like 1

July 2020 - Wing War results

PeteE: 1071

pixelpedant: 642

jwild: 164

Vorticon: 50
roadrunner: 4

That was a lot of fun, thanks for choosing that game, pixelpedant.  It had a lot more depth than I had initially assumed.

For August, I want you all to compete with my game released earlier this year: Bounce'n'Pounce.  Game binaries can be downloaded from the top post in that thread.

bnptitle.png bnpdrive2.png bnpjump.png

There's a trick to scoring lots of points using a counter-intuitive method - see if you can find it and pull it off!

• Like 6

I thought I would post some quick observations and thoughts on Bounce 'n' Pounce.    A game this fun deserves some commentary and perhaps this will get some others to join in.  

I took advantage of the pause key (P) to scribble some notes during a couple of games.

• I'm not sure the game has "combos" for crashing multiple cars in succession, but that crossed my mind
  • There must be something to the black cars.  they drive more aggressively and seem to cause the most trouble
  • The tanks have more inertia and don't move as much when you hit them.   this can be used for your advantage or disadvantage.   it is good to know what you're running into
  • Jumping and pouncing on other cars is fun.   Hard to nail the landing though.
  • You can only jump when your speed > 100.    bumping into other cars can slow you down and you never know when you'll need to jump.
  • I find that going with the flow and being opportunistic about who you decide to bounce into is the wisest course
  • I am not sure if the speed that you're traveling at when you jump makes a difference in how far you fly
  • I really appreciate the animation for the car as it jumps and then stretches out its tires to land.   
  • Landing in the water makes you lose a car....but the splash sound you hear is fantastic.
  • I wonder if you get points for cars that are destroyed, but not by you necessarily.
  • It looks like you progress through the seasons during the game.   at the end of each season there is a different graphic and different colors of map.   I finally made it to winter and got to see a nice snowman
  • When you end a season, you get to see your score and a bonus for crashing cars.   it seems the bonus is already included in the score.  might have been more rewarding to see the bonus add to your score in front of your eyes to feel good about your bouncing and pouncing bonus points.
  • the game nails it on maximum fun and a reasonably short time invested in a single game.   if you choose to play 20 games back to back, that's on you.

Thanks for the game, PeteE.    Having a lot of fun with this one.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, globeron said:

Huh, I thought it was not allowed to drive on 2x wheels?  ?

Did you change your car into the "General" (Dukes of Hazard).

I'm still trying to figure out how I can steer with all four wheels in the air!

Edited by MarkSetGo
  • Like 1

On 8/15/2020 at 7:23 AM, globeron said:

Huh, I thought it was not allowed to drive on 2x wheels?  ?

Did you change your car into the "General" (Dukes of Hazard).

image.thumb.png.9bf7e30cd1e95f15354f87714f99a646.png

Is the car in the game similar to this AMC Gremlin Grinder?

I remember having one of these as a kid!

• Like 2