IGNORED

High Score Competition (April: Starfort)

arcadeshopper

Ok, so i have to decide the game for this month right ? :)

i am honored and thrilled !! :)

well i would like to post a little prize for this too:

post-24673-0-99436600-1525373189_thumb.jpg

Apple items are not included in the Prize :P

please let me see about the game, i would want to do something but waiting for an answer.

Edited by ti99iuc
  • Like 3

Nice choice, I never had the time to try the game, but it was in my to-do list :-)

I also would like to congratulate Ciro his excellent scores in HeroX! He uses to say that he sucks as a gamer, but this month's competition shows that it is not true, if he decides to commit he is very good! :-)

• Like 1

@vorticon Yes David released it into public domain in this occasion. Asked to him about it and he agreed. It is a nice gift for all i think :)

@count9929a thanks. In true i feel like if Awarded my commitment more, i really worked hard to try and try again the game but if you read how i got the result you can see that is not as it seems :P

Edited by ti99iuc
  • Like 1

At what difficulty level will the competition be: easy, normal, or crazy?

talking with David we decided that will be not important the level you play but final points :) so everyone can play the game in a preferred difficulty but of course, who want have better chances to do more points have to try other hardest levels :)

I also want to remind players that you can jump to a next level only when you finally will find the "key" hidden under the bricks.

this is the link of the instructions manual

Edited by ti99iuc
  • Like 1

My first gameplay ever and I got the leaderboard high score playing on easy using PC Keyboard via USBKeys on real iron. This is going to be fun...

To be fair, it took me a while to realize that I needed to grab the key with the paddle.

Thank you David and everyone else listed in the game's credits.

post-47352-0-72405400-1525455077_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sinphaltimus
  • Like 3

Very cool. At what difficulty level will the competition be: easy, normal, or crazy?

Shall we play "Normal" and also I saw on the second page (M=More) to post high scores here: http://facebook.com/breakfreehof

Maybe for this competition do it on both Atari Age and thanks to David at FB as well!

For FB there is in the middle a "visitor posts" column, and a person called Jake Allen scored 1st Jan. 2017 a score of 18560 ....!

Not sure if we are going to beat that...

My first attempt. Classic 99 60 Hz with keys -- Normal level: score 639

post-39490-0-95722900-1525455032_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

... I saw on the second page (M=More) to post high scores here: http://facebook.com/breakfreehof

Maybe for this competition do it on both Atari Age and thanks to David at FB as well!

For FB there is in the middle a "visitor posts" column, and a person called Jake Allen scored 1st Jan. 2017 a score of 18560 ....!

I think we should all do that with our highscores at the end of the month. I'd hate to spam them every few days as I plan to vastly improve my score as the month rolls on...

• Like 1

I'm having a bit of trouble adjusting to this one... The concept is great, and I love the fact that the paddle moves in the vertical direction as well which conveys an added tactical advantage. That said, there are some issues with the gameplay such as the response to keys and joysticks being laggy, making last minute adjustments very difficult. Also the collision detection is spotty, and I've had the ball go through my paddle on many occasions, and this is particularly evident when using the enlarged paddle. I even had the ball go through the wall on the left and reappear on the right wall once.

I'm going to call these features rather than bugs and keep chugging along because the game is still quite fun to play. After all, it does not seem to be stopping too many here from scoring high! ;-)

• Like 3

I'm having a bit of trouble adjusting to this one... The concept is great, and I love the fact that the paddle moves in the vertical direction as well which conveys an added tactical advantage. That said, there are some issues with the gameplay such as the response to keys and joysticks being laggy, making last minute adjustments very difficult. Also the collision detection is spotty, and I've had the ball go through my paddle on many occasions, and this is particularly evident when using the enlarged paddle. I even had the ball go through the wall on the left and reappear on the right wall once.

I'm going to call these features rather than bugs and keep chugging along because the game is still quite fun to play. After all, it does not seem to be stopping too many here from scoring high! ;-)

absolutely subscribing your post :P i wrote the same sentence to the developer in 2016 :) :)

Edited by ti99iuc
  • Like 1

I recognize those "features" from my initial testing of the game when I was building the first cartridge image for it as well--and I do consider them features, as they introduce a nice level of unpredicatbility--just enough to keep the randomness fun but not enough to interfere with overall gameplay enjoyment.

• Like 1

873700737a7a3896389497306bdd2a8a.jpg

My new purple shoes been amazin’ the people next door...

And my rock ‘n roll 45’s been enragin’ the folks on the lower floor...

19659 real TI w/trusty slik stik.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

This is probably the first game written totally in GPL since TI pulled out of the market. There have been a number of utilities in GPL, and several XB extensions (all of which are good), but the language doesn't get a lot of love outside of RXB at the moment. I am really glad that David chose GPL for this one, as it is a really good showcase of what GPL is capable of. Especially nice is that it runs on an unexpanded console, and it provides a lot more program than non-bank-switched software can give us. The bank-switched masterpieces using some of the other modern cartridge boards are Assembly at its most powerful (and they are awesome games), but things like Break Free also support the TI users out there without an expanded system, and so the audience is a bit larger (since there really are still some TI users out there using unexpanded consoles).

• Like 3