IGNORED

High Score Competition (April: Starfort)

arcadeshopper

Hi All,

I was playing the first time a TI game til the last Level, and the first time in this High Score Competition too.

My actual score is 6,043 but the month will go a few more day's.

post-62965-0-12322200-1525600121_thumb.jpg

Currently I'm playing on classic99, because the BREAKFREEG.bin does'nt work on my TI/FG99 cartridge.

Is there a version for the FG99?

I bought a BREAKFREE cardridge on arcadeshopper last week. If this arrive I can Play on my real TI.

• Like 1

There seems to be a minor bug in the score display. When you exceed 10 lives then the decade digit remains even when you go below 10 again, which can be confusing if you're not keeping track. It corrects itself at some point a few screens further down.

• Like 1

I'm afraid I've discovered a fatal bug in the game: I started out on the easy level and cleared all 6 screens, broke out, then embarked on the regular level. I got to the 6th screen again with 14 lives left. Unfortunately, there was no key to be found on that screen, and thus I could not move on! All the tiles were gone, except for the ones on the extreme left and right of the screen which seemed immune to the ball and would not go away. My score at that point was over 18000 and in the end I gave up because there was nothing left to do. This was really frustrating because I could have easily broken the 20000 score had I been able to move on the difficult and last level.

Below is the screen state with no key in sight and not much left to hit. At that point I was just letting the ball go wherever without input from me and I had lost most of my lives. While screen shows I have 14 lives, I actually had only 4 left, and that's related to the scoring bug I mentioned in the previous post.

post-25753-0-14357000-1525738656_thumb.jpg

And here's my "final" score after I gave up.

post-25753-0-19760200-1525738639_thumb.jpg

Not sure how we proceed from there... I wonder if David can fix this issue.

• Like 1

Ah! So you are not taken to the Crazy level once you complete the first 2 levels? That would be a pity as it would remove an interesting challenge and an opportunity to score higher. Also I hit the monster tile inside the boss several times during that last screen with no result other than additional score. The manual does not say anything about how to kill the boss...

I'm afraid I've discovered a fatal bug in the game: I started out on the easy level and cleared all 6 screens, broke out, then embarked on the regular level. I got to the 6th screen again with 14 lives left. Unfortunately, there was no key to be found on that screen, and thus I could not move on! All the tiles were gone, except for the ones on the extreme left and right of the screen which seemed immune to the ball and would not go away. My score at that point was over 18000 and in the end I gave up because there was nothing left to do. This was really frustrating because I could have easily broken the 20000 score had I been able to move on the difficult and last level.

Below is the screen state with no key in sight and not much left to hit. At that point I was just letting the ball go wherever without input from me and I had lost most of my lives. While screen shows I have 14 lives, I actually had only 4 left, and that's related to the scoring bug I mentioned in the previous post.

attachicon.gif20180507_190133.jpg

And here's my "final" score after I gave up.

attachicon.gif20180507_190352.jpg

Not sure how we proceed from there... I wonder if David can fix this issue.

I accept your challenge and will do my best to replicate. :)

I am very sorry about this. Kindly find attached version 1.5 which should now have both bugs fixed (The Lives issue and that in the last level there was a 1 in 7 chance of never finding the key given the small number of [?] on screen)

brkfreeg.bin

• Like 7

Ah! So you are not taken to the Crazy level once you complete the first 2 levels? That would be a pity as it would remove an interesting challenge and an opportunity to score higher. Also I hit the monster tile inside the boss several times during that last screen with no result other than additional score. The manual does not say anything about how to kill the boss...

The boss cannot be killed. It can only be frozen for a few seconds by hitting the Boss devil inside mouth.

Edited by Davvel

I think that's the final boss. :) Instead of a key, you need to defeat him.

I can't remember the exact sequence...? I searched my email cause I got a clear explanation back in the day, but it's lost.

Tursi,

No I had a bug which I thought I had fixed way back in Jan 2017. Version 1.5 should Iron this out.

• Like 2

I am very sorry about this. Kindly find attached version 1.5 which should now have both bugs fixed (The Lives issue and that in the last level there was a 1 in 7 chance of never finding the key given the small number of [?] on screen)

Thanks! How do we go about updating the cart?

It's interesting to see how extensive play testing can root out otherwise hidden bugs. I think this competition is really benefiting the community through this process by allowing said bugs to be fixed!

• Like 3

I get that. I meant I have a physical BreakFree cart and I'd like to update its ROM...

Now that is possible but not trivial. You either will need to have the necessary hardware to re-flash the ROM or else you need to send it to someone who has necessary hardware to do it for you. It is practically an UBERGROM which is locked onto one game.

This is such an awesome game, David.... Phenomenal work, really. c :)

Thanks Opry99er, it was a dream project I had since 1982 to do a physical cart game, but it only came a reality with great work done by people like Tursi (Classic 99), Ralph B (xdt99), Ksarul (Ubergrom), Rasmus (Magellan), Ciro (Testing) and many others who took the time to keep TI 99/4a alive till today.

It's interesting to see how extensive play testing can root out otherwise hidden bugs. I think this competition is really benefiting the community through this process by allowing said bugs to be fixed!

The more I play the more I find. There are certainly some glitches. Missed collisions and such. Definitely an issue with "Life" count etc... so yes, room for improvement for sure. But the overall quality and gameplay overshadows all of that. It really is a fantastic game through and through. Very well executed and thought out. Having a lot of fun with this.

I also find that starting on easy and working your way up from there is the best way to go. You are slowly conditioned to the higher difficulties which works for me. And considering you get to the more difficult levels with a higher score from the easier levels, I think it's the only way to get the highest scores possible.

Well done Vorticon. I'm in this race. I just need to set aside the proper amount of time. Pausing the game last night and returning to the same game this morning is not a good strategy. LOL

Now that is possible but not trivial. You either will need to have the necessary hardware to re-flash the ROM or else you need to send it to someone who has necessary hardware to do it for you. It is practically an UBERGROM which is locked onto one game.

I do have an EPROM burner. Is it just a matter of flashing the rom with the updated bin file you posted?

I have update the version of Break Free in js99er.net to the latest, full version. The latest version of js99er is 6.2 (as shown in the log). This, by the way, fixes an issue with missing sound in Chrome. Chrome now requires user interaction before a web site can play any sound.

Edited by Asmusr
  • Like 1