IGNORED

High Score Competition (April: Starfort)

arcadeshopper

The TI-99/4a Popeye port is VERY good, honestly. It captures all the game play essentials and looks really good. When Compute! magazine would have advertisements showing all the different Popeye games, the TI one always looked the best, followed by the ColecoVision.

popeye_screens_large.jpg

If I had one complaint, it's all the minor details. The fact that they didn't have enough graphic space to give Brutus his "little hop" that he does in other versions over gaps, or the full-blown animation of him flying and bouncing off the screen sides and landing in the water with a big splash. (NO splash animations at all) This is all understandable because with the amount of sprite patterns used for Popeye and Brutus, and the constraints of a cartridge, there just isn't room to do swaps. You definitely notice by the third stage that they ran out of character graphics as well; the ship is largely constructed of single color blocks without a lot of detail. (Although to be fair the ship is rather sparse on detail in EVERY version including the arcade.) They didn't even have space to do the individual letters for "HELP" in the 3rd stage.

The TI-99/4a Popeye port is VERY good, honestly. It captures all the game play essentials and looks really good. When Compute! magazine would have advertisements showing all the different Popeye games, the TI one always looked the best, followed by the ColecoVision.

popeye_screens_large.jpg

If I had one complaint, it's all the minor details. The fact that they didn't have enough graphic space to give Brutus his "little hop" that he does in other versions over gaps, or the full-blown animation of him flying and bouncing off the screen sides and landing in the water with a big splash. (NO splash animations at all) This is all understandable because with the amount of sprite patterns used for Popeye and Brutus, and the constraints of a cartridge, there just isn't room to do swaps. You definitely notice by the third stage that they ran out of character graphics as well; the ship is largely constructed of single color blocks without a lot of detail. (Although to be fair the ship is rather sparse on detail in EVERY version including the arcade.) They didn't even have space to do the individual letters for "HELP" in the 3rd stage.

Several other platforms have seen recent rebirths of various games in "Arcade" renditions. Maybe a re-do of the Parker Brothers games would be a fun project for someone. As you say, Popeye is, as are the other PB games, quite well done, but simple things like splash animations, background music, etc. could make a little difference.

• Like 2

One of my other favorite versions of Popeye is "Sailorman" by Tom Mix software on the TRS-80 Color Computer. Despite only being in four colors, the gameplay is superbly done. One of the aspects I liked was on the lowest difficulty level, Brutus doesn't jump or crouch to get you, and he doesn't throw bottles, so it has a much more gradual difficulty curve.

At one time there was an excellent article/interview of Chris Latham, the developer of "Sailorman" and "Donkey King", the Coco port of Donkey Kong. He described in detail all the coding necessary to blit the graphics successfully. Sailorman required 64K of RAM to run, and he indicated most of the extra RAM was used to triple buffer sprite graphics for clean transitions. Sadly the article is long lost, I don't even recall the website now to find it in the Internet Archives. (Also note that the TI could render a pretty good version of the game in a lot less RAM. Hardware sprites make writing action games much easier and cheaper.)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, so we are reaching the end of June. Bad month for playing ...

My best score so far:

score3.bmp

But I proudly present the score of a new player, nicknamed D99:

scoreD4.bmp

Just slightly better than mine, but it's the first time D99 participate in a hi-score compo, and she is 10 years old, so I guess she deserve her score to be published :-)

Time to put fresh forces in the TI99 community! ;-)

• Like 2

July 2018: Perfect Push (and note the nice 1-bit sound sampler!)

available on disk: 0030-Assembler20.dsk

(I am not sure if there are BIN for the FinalGrom, etc.)

Use the disk as DSK1.

to start: Editor Assembler - Option 5 (Run)

DSK1.PUSH1

The score only comes depending how long it takes for you to launch the rocket (time = purple line at the bottom of the screen)

The hole at the top changes at the next level and also more monsters.

My start score: 1938

post-39490-0-18296800-1530460344.jpg

post-39490-0-94297800-1530460353.jpg

post-39490-0-49472500-1530460365.jpg

post-39490-0-00418900-1530460370.jpg

• Like 3