IGNORED

High Score Competition (April: Starfort)

arcadeshopper

3 hours ago, Airshack said:

Makes me wonder how the incomplete beta-like game Super Demon Attack made it to cartridge? 

Well, it's got one (albeit disastrous) design issue, affecting one enemy on one stage.  But the game is complete and unproblematic but for that one issue affecting that one enemy.  I wouldn't say that alone makes it "beta like". 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pixelpedant said:

Well, it's got one (albeit disastrous) design issue, affecting one enemy on one stage.  But the game is complete and unproblematic but for that one issue affecting that one enemy.  I wouldn't say that alone makes it "beta like". 

aren't there two versions of this as well?  I vaguely remember one with and one without speech 

On 3/23/2020 at 12:03 AM, pixelpedant said:

One disastrous design issue is just one of the reasons it’s beta-like. It’s a mystery why such a beautiful game Was never properly game tested?

This review pretty much covers the problems. The cartridge label doesn’t even match the game’s title screen. 

• Like 1

Competition has really not been very stiff this month.  Guess everyone's too busy with the whole "end of the world", "survival of the human race" situation to worry about Burger Time high scores. 

Either that, or everyone's too busy hording pepper and burger ingredients to spend it on a high score.

• Like 2

6c7608f7d34c4da5d9e6abc16bfa9122.jpg

Oh the music! Made me avoid this one... but since I’m stuck at home... cartridge version on real iron.

I also played the disk version. Much easier. Too easy.

Thanks for the cool videos, Pixel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jwild said:

I also played the disk version. Much easier. Too easy.

Yeah, unfortunately.  But fortunately, the cart version provides a real and worthwhile escalating challenge.  Definitely worth a play. 

13 minutes ago, jwild said:

Thanks for the cool videos, Pixel.

Cheers!

afdacfac35152adfddcdd235ec51fd76.jpg

Game in progress at 404050. Cartridge on real iron. Taking advantage of pause. Good thing I took a picture. System crashed to F18 screen when I tried to resume. Not sure if I’ll try to beat that score...

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I'd like to comment on Super Demon Attack, interesting how the topic has come up again (I was reading the posts from 2018). Here's some theories running through my head:

1) As for the bug with the boss at level 2 (can't shoot fast enough), I think the game was originally programmed to run at 50Hz, since you can defeat the boss onto level 3. The difference in display refresh rate must have something to do with the response time in firing. At 60Hz it's almost impossible to defeat. Some techniques I've tried is holding the Q (fire button on keyboard) along with fire button on joystick, or holding both fire buttons down on the joysticks.

2) If the theory is true that the game was programmed at 50Hz, it would make sense that the speech programmed in sounds British. In Britain, the standard used is PAL 50Hz. Why the speech was later removed remains uncertain. My theory on this is it may have been considered too offensive for young children and TI decided to remove it. Another reason they made a last ditch attempt thinking if they removed the speech components it would speed up the game so you could defeat the boss on level 2. Regardless, I think the speech should have been kept, it adds a nice dimension to the gameplay. All of the other Imagic games include speech.

On 3/29/2020 at 7:33 AM, jwild said:

afdacfac35152adfddcdd235ec51fd76.jpg

Game in progress at 404050. Cartridge on real iron. Taking advantage of pause. Good thing I took a picture. System crashed to F18 screen when I tried to resume. Not sure if I’ll try to beat that score...

I guess no McDonalds, BurgerKing, MosBurger, WendyBurger, ZingBurger anymore this month ?

What's next ?  Burger Builder ?

1627745852_SCF3482020_04_0221_49.thumb.jpg.b7b9cc957359efa0e9454dbe1ed90660.jpg2114237771_SCF3492020_04_0221_49.jpg.11d9fc7d60b5f077b5ff409baa3c66bf.jpg1592935579_SCF3502020_04_0221_49.jpg.fec641179778ac46817f9d1fae8fd9e8.jpg

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, globeron said:

I guess no McDonalds, BurgerKing, MosBurger, WendyBurger, ZingBurger anymore this month ?

What's next ?  Burger Builder ?

1627745852_SCF3482020_04_0221_49.thumb.jpg.b7b9cc957359efa0e9454dbe1ed90660.jpg2114237771_SCF3492020_04_0221_49.jpg.11d9fc7d60b5f077b5ff409baa3c66bf.jpg1592935579_SCF3502020_04_0221_49.jpg.fec641179778ac46817f9d1fae8fd9e8.jpg

There really is a Burger Builder?    wow.    I am considering a few games.   hope to pick one today.   If anyone has an idea, please PM me.

• Like 6

Okay, I've tried out a few games and have decided on the new game of the month. 

For April 2020 - in the spirit of the world's current challenge, I have selected a virus beating game called Tex Turbo and the Big Bug Battles (suggested by ti99iuc and created by marc.hull).  I played it once and it is quite good. 

The link to the file is here.

I found a link to the development thread for this game here:

And I believe this must be Marc's site describing the game here.

Edited by jwild
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My first time playing. 8500. I had to use the Classic99 TV controls to tweak the hue and tell the red and the green/yellow apart... ;)

Really thought I was going to clear that stage till I accidentally rotated twice and blocked access on the left..

(Edit: started at level 1, slowest speed ;) )

image.thumb.png.b6eb71e4edda2afec76d0c78c6d1267b.png

Edited by Tursi
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...