IGNORED

Why I hated Cybermorph

Syzygy1

It is funny because I became only aware of it since the AVGN video. Before I found it funny...

Then I learned there are two version of the game. In one of those Skylar is less "talkative" tjan the other. Maybe I was lucky enough to get this one.

Président of the Retro-gaming Connexion.

It is funny because I became only aware of it since the AVGN video. Before I found it funny...

Then I learned there are two version of the game. In one of those Skylar is less "talkative" tjan the other. Maybe I was lucky enough to get this one.

Président of the Retro-gaming Connexion.

Sadly I owned the version where she's more talkative. God bless my soul. I threw out my Jaguar.

(did you see the ad for the game where the kid throws up? I think he threw up because of Skylar!)

For me it was the lack of in-game music, the vomit inducing graphics, collecting pods over and over again, and Skyler's constant put downs. I almost returned my Jaguar because of this game. Glad I didn't . FYI for those first time Jag CD owners Battlemorph is the sequel to Cybermorph is an excellent game. Battlemorph is what Cybermorph should have been. Like with most Jaguar games however if you spend enough time with Cybermorph you can grow to like it.

• Like 1

For me it was the lack of in-game music, the vomit inducing graphics, collecting pods over and over again, and Skyler's constant put downs. I almost returned my Jaguar because of this game. Glad I didn't . FYI for those first time Jag CD owners Battlemorph is the sequel to Cybermorph is an excellent game. Battlemorph is what Cybermorph should have been. Like with most Jaguar games however if you spend enough time with Cybermorph you can grow to like it.

Cybermorph was the only game I had for the Jaguar when I first got it... for months. Since it was the only game I had, it forced me to play it (even though it wasn't that great) and I ended up appreciating it for what it was. Battlemorph is definitely an awesome sequel, just about everything from that game really shines. It was also much harder but so incredibly atmospheric with really great music. Feel like they lucked out with the musician on that one!

• Like 4

You probably already know. "WHERE DID YOU LEARN TO FLY?"

Heh heh.

A few years ago I ordered and paid for a still new in box Cybermorph from an Internet on line store (whom I had ordered and received Jag stuff previously from with no problems at all).

Cybermorph never arrived.

Apparantly the shipping parcel/box addressed to me, did not learn to fly either. lol

...perhaps I should consider myself lucky that the game never arrived...it doesn't sound like a game I would bother spending too much time playing. ;-)

• Like 1

So when I first got the Jaguar my first game naturally was Cybermorph. Really didn't know what to think of it. For a 64 bit game system it looked really limited in color and kinda boxy looking.

Got Bubsy, and though a mess with controls the game cheered me up and part of that might have been the animations, the zippiness of the character running (and dying) in the levels, and the COLORS. So for a while I liked Battlemorph, I was a huge Cybermorph hater.

post-4709-0-80826300-1439683574_thumb.jpg

In time though Cybermorph would join Bubsy, Doom, Raiden, and other games I love to play on the Jag.

Why?

Entered a high score competition. Took five days but finally completed the game. What I basically learned were:

1) With practice you could get some real speed and zip through the levels.

2) Mines are very powerful and when you get good at flying close to opponents (like the crabs) you could simply drop mines on them without stopping.

3) The best megaweapon is one that destroys all buildings in sight. Destroying the buildings reveals the pods, and you just keep flying.

Now instead of five days to beat Cybermorph I can beat it like four hours. :D

Edited by doctorclu

My first experience with Cybermorph was the GameFan and GamePro articles on the game. Those were some high-resolution screenshots back then! I knew then that I had to own a Jaguar. When I got the console, graphics weren't as sharp as the magazines; they must've been using some RGB out to capture equipment or something. Also the draw-in was terrible. But still I was impressed. It looked way better than Starfox.

Gameplay-wise, it was hard. While I was open to new things, my 12 year old self from 1994 did not have much patience. I got about 60% done, but never finished it. Still have fond memories though, and I think it was good for its time. ‎

Lolz!, anybody who hates Cybermorph because of that one line, blesses their own soul because they have the 1mb version with less vocals and graphics animation and throws their Jaguar out in the trash is only an AVGN understudy and giving in to, blatantly accepting and regurgitating all the negative hype about the game and system across the net. Basing the hate on that one line is not valid here, yeah AVGN is funny, and any publicity is good publicity as people found out about Jag through him and youtube videos, but he's just good for a laugh - most people that actually have a Jag and play its games don't actually believe his nonsense! You coulda read the manual/turned the sound down/ gotten good at it/ rather than finding excuses to hate.

• Like 3

I wasn't psyched at the beginning either... but after a while it gets sort of ok, and I will come back to it later for sure.

If Atari only had Trevor McFur and Cybermorph to choose from as a pack-in, to show everyone their new 64-bit 3D powah machine, I think that Cybermorph was a better choice over Trevor... that's all.

In 1993 the standard of 3D wasn't that good.

I just can't understand WHY they never changed the pack-in game later on... just stupid... and people would have forgotten about the first some more.

Edited by Atlantis