IGNORED

Can you do anything online still with a Sega Saturn?

I think ti would be more savvy to link your Saturn to a landline modem in your computer and use it to link someone else using the same way, that way, if both of you have A-DSL you save money rather than usign a landline.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=895880

I have read somewhere that you can do this with integrated PC dial up modems.

• Like 1

So if someone else has a Sega Saturn and a landline, I would be able to call them direct and play head to head? That would be pretty sweet.

Yup! Used to play all those games with a buddy that lived in the next town over BITD. Bit of lag sometimes though - and more noticeable on Duke Nuke'm, where someone might get stuck somewhere or the game would crash. :(

Saturn NetLink was always dial-up, peer-to-peer connections when it came to games. Thus, if you still have a phone line, you can still use it as long as you know someone else with one. No internet service required for gaming, but you will need a dial-up service to browse the web. Of course, it's 2015 and I'm not sure if that's even still possible in parts of the country.

Wow! That is pretty cool! I remember the days of being on AOL with the dialup service in the late 90's. A total pain in the rear when the line was busy, someone picked up the phone to disconnect you, and the annoying cut off due to losing connection. Last time I used dialup was in 2000 or 2001.

I think ti would be more savvy to link your Saturn to a landline modem in your computer and use it to link someone else using the same way, that way, if both of you have A-DSL you save money rather than usign a landline.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=895880

I have read somewhere that you can do this with integrated PC dial up modems.

That is pretty cool.

Yes, it is very possible to play someone using Netlink either using a landline or a little ingenuity to tunnel the game over the internet as was mentioned before.

There are still sites such as NetLink League (http://www.saturnleague.com/phpBB3/) where you can try to arrange matches. Not a lot of activity there, but maybe you'll have some luck.

Even back in the late 90s it was hard to actually find someone to play: You needed to know someone else that had:

a) A Sega Saturn, which was a pretty clear third place system at least in the US.

b) A Netlink. These are relatively cheap now but when they came out they cost $200.

c) The same game you wanted play.

d) Lives in your local calling area, so you wouldn't get gouged with long distance rates.

Edited by Tenorman