IGNORED

Bouncy

Asmusr

• 5 weeks later...

Very cool! That music is great for the map!

Do the question marks have different purposes? The first thing that came to mind was powerups (or hardships) such as changing the scroll or bounce speed. You have me curious now ;)

Yes the plan is to use the question marks for various "power ups". At the beginning of the video the first question mark is triggering a bridge to appear, other question marks are currently just adding points. I cannot change the scrolling speed, but some question marks could trigger long jumps for a while or invert the control of the ball (bad). Other question marks would just restore your energy or add lives. I also have other ideas for shields or weapons, but it's not very clear yet.

Asmusr-M:

Could you consider programming it so that the ball changes color when jumping? maybe light green or light yellow?

But the ball is always jumping. I'm afraid I don't see the point. Perhaps the color could change depending of the jump length (short, medium, long), that might be useful?

This is insanely good. Can you imagine if this was possible back in the day? TI would have ruled. I know it *was* possible, at least in terms of the hardware, but developing it on a 1980s system would be a major PITA!

You know Marc Hull's excellent Mad Marvin's Great Escape was completely developed on real hardware... There is something to be said about programming a complex project on bare metal: it somehow feels good, akin to climbing mount Everest :grin:

Looking forward to playing this, looks more interesting every time I see it.

You know Marc Hull's excellent Mad Marvin's Great Escape was completely developed on real hardware... There is something to be said about programming a complex project on bare metal: it somehow feels good, akin to climbing mount Everest :grin:

To each their own of course, but to me this is akin to self flagellation... I'm sure there's people that get a kick out of it, but I'd rather not subject myself to the needless pain :lol: .

Looking forward to playing this, looks more interesting every time I see it.

To each their own of course, but to me this is akin to self flagellation... I'm sure there's people that get a kick out of it, but I'd rather not subject myself to the needless pain :lol: .

I agree. Hat's off to those that do it, but it's not for me!

But the ball is always jumping. I'm afraid I don't see the point. Perhaps the color could change depending of the jump length (short, medium, long), that might be useful?

That's what I meant. Just chalk it up to differences in English, I had considered the ball normally just bouncing and then you press the button to jump.

Yeah, even different colors might lead to some more fun gameplay ideas. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I think it's time for a playable demo.

The coding is almost done, but the levels require a lot more work to be fun and puzzling. The last level I believe is currently impossible to complete.

There are now a number of different effects from landing on a question mark tile (immunity - blue, confusion - red, speed - yellow, long jump - green, bonus, energy, extra ball and tile switching). I added the speech because the music, which is likely to stay, is using all the channels, so no room for sound fx.

I'm still staying within 32KB with 4 existing level and about 2KB left. This leaves room for about 3 more levels.

To run the game use the XB loader, E/A#5 DSK1.BOUNCY1 or the RPK 32K loader cart.

Enjoy!

BOUNCY.dsk

bouncy.rpk

• Like 6

Very much fun! Silky smooth gameplay. I'm still having some trouble controlling my jumps though...

It can be difficult to time the change from a short jump to a medium jump. Once you have taken off it's too late. A trick is to jump straight up and down a few times with the button pressed before you take off. You see me doing this several time on the video.