IGNORED

Bouncy

Asmusr

I added the speech because the music, which is likely to stay, is using all the channels, so no room for sound fx.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to play it yet, but it from the video it looks like it is not only a very pretty game, but also a very fun game to play! Regarding the sfx though, would it be such a big problem if sound effects temporarily took priority over one channel? This is what happens in Alex Kidd (and most Master System games, for that matter), and although if you listen for it it's easy to hear, it never seems to get annoying or strange sounding to me.

• Like 1

Looks and plays great! A question on the speech - it sounds like the resident vocabulary. Are you streaming the speech data or just using the internal Speak command?

I ask because supposedly you can't use the system bus while the synth chip is speaking words from the speech ROMs... I never actually tested. Are you using that and does it work on hardware? :)

Looks and plays great! A question on the speech - it sounds like the resident vocabulary. Are you streaming the speech data or just using the internal Speak command?

I ask because supposedly you can't use the system bus while the synth chip is speaking words from the speech ROMs... I never actually tested. Are you using that and does it work on hardware? :)

I'm just using the internal speak command. I'm not waiting for speech to end, just continuing normal program execution. It's working fine on the hardware - I did the same in TI Scramble.

Edit. The E/A manual says: "During the delay after a read, the 8-bit peripheral bus which is connected to the Memory Expansion unit cannot be used.", but I'm not reading at all. I'm not even checking if the synth is attached.
  • Like 1

It looks great!

At first I was a bit confused to hear the music from Monty of the Run. If you like, take a listen to Ben Daglish' ingame music from Re-Bounder, which would be quite suitable as well.

Yeah, using the Monty music is a bit weird, but I had already spent about 2 weeks arranging it so I figured this would be a good use for it.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to play it yet, but it from the video it looks like it is not only a very pretty game, but also a very fun game to play! Regarding the sfx though, would it be such a big problem if sound effects temporarily took priority over one channel? This is what happens in Alex Kidd (and most Master System games, for that matter), and although if you listen for it it's easy to hear, it never seems to get annoying or strange sounding to me.

I might look into adding a sound effect when you pick up a coin, but I don't want a boing sound every time the ball is bouncing. I know that not everybody likes speech, but I think it's cool that our TI can talk.

I'm just using the internal speak command. I'm not waiting for speech to end, just continuing normal program execution. It's working fine on the hardware - I did the same in TI Scramble.

Edit. The E/A manual says: "During the delay after a read, the 8-bit peripheral bus which is connected to the Memory Expansion unit cannot be used.", but I'm not reading at all. I'm not even checking if the synth is attached.

Awesome, that's great to know. And yes, that may be what was confusing my memory.

It's when you're reading from the synth. If you're doing a read (normally to check the FIFO status) then you can't use the 8 bit bus. Supposedly. I get around this by putting my FIFO check code in pad, and having the appropriate delay, according to EA manual guidance.

• Like 1

I tried adding a few sound effects but it doesn't work well with this music - it's breaking up too much.

Id give it a try :)

Great, here's the Magellan file with the current maps. Just add another map to the file and give it a try. You can use the 8 meta tile patterns, which will expand to 2x2 tiles in the game. The restriction is that if you open the Analyze Character Transitions window the number of transitions should not exceed 30 (so the highest available number is 29). As you can see I use the sprite overlay to indicate where I want tiles to appear as a result of switches and where I want enemies to appear.

metamaps.mag

• Like 1

Here's the latest version of the game with the 6 levels from the Magellan file (see previous posting, the last two levels are just placeholders). I have also added a time indicator, which serves two purposes: 1. You can't stay on the last screen of a level forever, and 2. You get a bonus when completing a level. But note that because of the forced scrolling there is not a lot of difference between the time it takes to complete a level.

BOUNCY.dsk

• Like 1

attachicon.gifmetamaps.mag

Here's my map :) looks like I got 27 character transitions so should be ok :)

Might make another one later :)

attachicon.gifmetamaps.mag

Here's another :)

Thanks. Here's a version with your first map inserted as level 5. It's also starting at level 5 so you can test your level. One thing a noticed is that the first switched bridge is scrolling out too quickly to be useful, so you might want to move that a little.

I also like your second map, I will try to insert it tomorrow. :)

BOUNCY.dsk

• Like 1