IGNORED

BlackOut for sale on eBay

82-T/A

My suggested alternative title for Blackout would be "The Brown Noise." A game so bad that when you play it it will make you crap your pants almost instantaneously. :_(

My suggested alternative is RocksOff a free game by Reboot.

link: http://reboot.atari.org/new-reboot/rocksoff.html

Basically same thing, CJ got bored one day and an hour later had this done.

• Like 1

Black Out cartridge on ebay -> 300$

Elansar cartridge on ebay -> 200$

I'm kind of disappointed.

Seems you made the mistake of thinking the cartridge contents are the important factor in the equation. They are not.

Hype/drama/limited quantities - watch crazy people foam at the mouths trying to obtain it at any price - it's a prize to be treasured for the ultimate Jaguar Pokemon trainer...

and just like pokemon, it's all a load of balls.

• Like 3

Honestly, I'd pay $200 bucks for it, just because I can... but not because I necessarily think it's worth it.

If no one takes it, I've got $200 bucks here with your name on it (free shipping).

Orion, your game is VASTLY superior in every way to that game... don't be disappointed. It has more to do with how limited of a production it is, and how long ago it was sold.

I'd guess that half the people that currently have them (Black Out) probably don't frequent Atari Age anymore. Elansar was just sold less than a year ago, so it has more to do with that.

Guarantee pretty much anyone else on here would rather have Elansar than Black Out.

Edited by 82-T/A

So I realize folks did not like the way their development team (name escapes me at the moment) left the scene & were so upset about the ROM being dumped online (in less than a few days, while still on sale IIRC)... but those guys didn't determine the $300 price tag today. You have crazy collectors to thank for that.

They were a team (of 2?) making their first game & decided to release it on a cart & CD. You can dislike their drama & think the game is subpar, but the negativity seems a bit over board IMO but hey, that's the Jag community....

So I realize folks did not like the way their development team (name escapes me at the moment) left the scene & were so upset about the ROM being dumped online (in less than a few days, while still on sale IIRC)... but those guys didn't determine the $300 price tag today. You have crazy collectors to thank for that.

Please, show me where this ROM has been dumped. Their excuse for leaving was a load of bollocks, just like their 'game'.

Enough with the revisionist history lessons, LOL.

Edited by CyranoJ
  • Like 4

Please, show me where this ROM has been dumped. Their excuse for leaving was a load of bollocks, just like their 'game'.

Here we go... always has to be a pissng contest???

I do remember folks specifically mentioning the ROM floating around. There are other forums on the Internet... I don't have a Skunk & I'm not into emu so I have no idea where they are/were even located or if circulated independently via file share.

Regardless, you don't like it, don't buy it. You don't like inflated prices, don't contribute to them. Personally attacking people & their work accomplishes nothing. If you don't like that, so be it. I have no dog in this fight. I don't even remember their names lol just pointing out the Jag community living up to its reputation.

I do remember folks specifically mentioning the ROM floating around. There are other forums on the Internet... I don't have a Skunk & I'm not into emu so I have no idea where they are/were even located or if circulated independently via file share.

Regardless, you don't like it, don't buy it. You don't like inflated prices, don't contribute to them. Personally attacking people & their work accomplishes nothing. If you don't like that, so be it. I have no dog in this fight. I don't even remember their names lol just pointing out the Jag community living up to its reputation.

Yeah it's living up to it's reputation. By people regurgitating horseshit like it's a fact. LOL.

• Like 4

I do remember folks specifically mentioning the ROM floating around.

There was no ROM. It was his drunken rage fueled paranoia that caused him to make up an utterly incomprehensible James Bond'esque story about a secret organization that somehow, impossibly, installed a root kit on his computer and stole the source.

Please don't make me go dig that ludicrously ridiculous shit up.

• Like 5

Yeah it's living up to it's reputation. By people regurgitating horseshit like it's a fact. LOL.

If that was intended to get a rise out me, you'll have to try a lot harder lol.

My comments were more aimed at the overall negativity of this thread versus business practices or drama related to a homebrew Jaguar game. I hope you guys come here to blow off steam & arent this negative in your daily lives. Most folks that are miserable, chose to be so.

Sure, I imagine they ticked you & others off. Is it really worth still bringing up years (2 yrs?) later? What does the community gain from that?

As I'm sure you can tell from my post, online and IRL I'm not afraid to share my opinion, even it's not in line with the masses, & try to do so tastefully & in a positive manner. If this somehow irritates you, take a breath... remember it's an online forum about our hobby.

Edit: Addition

@Remo: You know we didn't land on the moon & aliens built the pyramids, right ;)? Seems like an odd way to leave after all that work. No need to search archives of AA or dead forums. Again, I have no vested interest.

Edited by Jagosaurus
  • Like 1

Most folks that are miserable, chose to be so.

@Remo: You know we didn't land on the moon & aliens built the pyramids, right ;)? Seems like an odd way to leave after all that work. No need to search archives of AA or dead forums. Again, I have no vested interest.

Chose to be miserable? If you WANT to, you can fly!

I'm interested in in some AA james bond'ish stuff, dig that thread up plix ;) for the entertainment value only (I'm not in search for the truth/aliens or not) It is iick, too quiet around here, what harm could some old paranoic fumes do?

The truth - what was said - could explain this extreme price; maybe the game itself has some in-game answers to what really happened?

And just a question to you, one that goes his own way here in life, in opposite to the rest of us stupid sheep, is this, my post here, one of the masses or is it in any way free as yours? Just curious...

Edited by Atlantis

Difference is with BlackOut people know less than 90 were ever made total CD and cartridge. They were very open about that, maybe a way to sell them all with that shitty game.

Elsanar has been produced twice (or 3 times not sure) to my knowledge so people assume less valuable.

• Like 1

Honestly, I'd pay $200 bucks for it, just because I can... but not because I necessarily think it's worth it.

If no one takes it, I've got $200 bucks here with your name on it (free shipping).

Orion, your game is VASTLY superior in every way to that game... don't be disappointed. It has more to do with how limited of a production it is, and how long ago it was sold.

I'd guess that half the people that currently have them (Black Out) probably don't frequent Atari Age anymore. Elansar was just sold less than a year ago, so it has more to do with that.

Guarantee pretty much anyone else on here would rather have Elansar than Black Out.

Yes I agree with that. If I not already have $200 is not bad deal for a very good game.

Why is it a pissing contest? You didn't report the facts correctly, you only added to the fairy story Stormworks Interactive (that's their name, btw) originally put out by recycling a half-remembered "ROMS, Piracy" tale.

If you want the reason they became re-named Shitstorm Interactive, read below. If not, continue in your ignorance and further their attempts to create drama and ruin things for everyone else. Your choice.

First, if you want the full story, go read the thread post by post. It's all there. If you're going to re-tell the tale, make sure you know the facts. It's got to be the whole story and not "the ROM got dumped" nonsense you might half remember from a dev team you can't even remember the name of. That's just playing into their hands.

They always said they would release this game for free once the release was done with. A binary. In public. For everyone. That's what everyone knew already. It's out there, it's in an AtariAge thread attachment.

A very short time after the first copies went out (just a handful via eBay), when said copies had only had time to arrive in the US/Canada to people who they had names and address for, they claimed the ROM was dumped. They refused to give more info.

When pushed for more info and the point was made that the person responsible would have to be one of the very few people who paid for and received the game by that time, they reluctantly gave "more information" and the story changed.

Now it wasn't someone dumping the game, as each binary was apparently unique/serialised (why, when it was intended to be free within weeks anyway?) So this was now the story they expected people to believe:

Rush now claimed that someone hacked into his linux dev machine, a machine he used for nothing but Jaguar development, stole the binary and edited his source code.

He then said that this person e-mailed him from an anonymous hotmail account and showed him what he'd done as some kind of gloat or warning?!

It wasn't dumped. Shitstorm themselves said this. We do not need anyone else adding to this ROM PIRATES BEWARE! Jaguar nonsense Gorf and co profited from for so many years. His story is that he was hacked by someone with enough skill/knowledge to obtain access to the contents of a linux box in his home, and also with enough knowledge of the Jaguar and his upcoming release to know what to look for, and not only that but they made changes to the game source code that he absolutely, positively claims he did not make himself. He never disclosed what these changes were (maybe the game actually had gameplay beofre the leet haxx0r got in there?!).

So you want to buy in to that story? You don't see it as completely unrealistic and highly convenient given their circumstances?

How about now, when you learn that Rush is not only employed in IT, but that his speciality is Internet Security? How about now? Given this info, I asked him if he could get his employers to do him a favour and help him track down the culprits. You know what he replied? That he couldn't do that, if his boss found out, he'd get sacked... srsly.

So that's what he expected people to believe.

Jason Fuckign Bourne would have been proud.

What really happened IMO: He spent around 10 years trying to make Jaguar games. Failed at even figuring out the logic to Lights Out. Released a game without gameplay. Concocted a story in order to exit stage right with the buying public on his side. Only, the story was not well thought out. The timing and content of the "OH NOES, ROM DUMPORZZ! JAGUAR PIRACY!!!" story only pointed the finger directly at a handful of genuine, supportive Jaguar gamers and collectors. The hole was dug and he chose the most ridiculous way to attempt to dig his way out... and when you start digging those holes, there's only one way to go...

As for pissing contest. lol... if CJ were to attempt a pissing contest with Rush, with the body of work he has on Jaguar from way back as a member of Sinister Developments, through to Reboot and beyond, he'd be stood before Lake Michigan while Rush would be stood, red faced, with a bit of a damn patch around his crotch.

Edited by sh3-rg
  • Like 5

PM sent. It wasn't me, but see the PM

My memory, the dump story told by SW was just BS

Edited by rayik

Well several people here are not very tender for the creators of Black Out :(

I remember when the game was under development: we were a lot of applauding the progress til the completion.

Instead of the bitter end, I prefer remember that the game was available for free download for a short time.

This is not because now some tries to make money with the game that it is a reason to pee on the authors of the game.

Authors of games are demi-gods for us because they are the only one to have the power to extend the life of our Jaguar

Ameeennnn LOL

Edited by Felyx
  • Like 1