IGNORED

Opcode Games News - Q3 2015

opcode

Time for another update on Opcode Games activities and plans for Q3 and beyond.

Super Game Module

The never ending story of the SGM 2nd run is finally getting close to an end, and it looks like we will be seeing a happy ending soon.

Here is what was going on:

The edge connector used with the SGM is a special order, it isn’t regularly available. However, last time I had two little issues with them: 1) Due to some printing on top of each connector, I had to sand them by hand. 2) Connectors were shipped from China to Canada to the US, and back to China, very expensive and time consuming.

This time I spent a lot of time negotiating with the manufacturer to get the connectors with no printing marks and shipped directly to China. And I finally got a call today confirming that. The new connectors are now Opcode exclusives, they even have their own part number.

And that was the good news. The not-so-good news is that the lead time is about 5 weeks. But once we get the connectors, having the final boards should be fairly quick.

In addition to that I just ordered 50 extra SGM cases so that the total number of cases in stock is now 200 (not to mention that the SGM mold will be kept for another 18 months).

So the plans are to have 200 SGMs as part of the 2nd run, which should be more than enough for all pre-orders.

A final note: I have been getting a lot of requests for an updated pre-order list, people asking if they are in the list, etc. I am no longer going to post lists here, since last time a lot of people complained about having their names being published. As for confirmations, I will contact everybody again in a few weeks. But the general rule is that if you got a confirmation from Paypal, then you are in the list.

Games, games, games

I am still doing some third party work, 3 more games to go. But all of that ends in September.

That means that by October Opcode Games should be officially back in operation. We are planning 3 new arcade ports in 2016, all leveraging the SGM. First one is obviously the brand new port of Donkey Kong, which is very far along in development. The other two will be announced later this year/early next year, but I can tell both are games originally released in 1981 and one of them is already 30% done (you may have seen screenshots if you know where to look)…

More to come… please stay tuned. J

Edited by opcode
  • Like 11

We are planning 3 new arcade ports in 2016, all leveraging the SGM. First one is obviously the brand new port of Donkey Kong, which is very far along in development. The other two will be announced later this year/early next year, but I can tell both are games originally released in 1981 and one of them is already 30% done (you may have seen screenshots if you know where to look)…

So it isn't Pengo or Donkey Kong Jr (the copyright is dated 1982 on the title screens of both arcade games) and it surely isn't Arkanoid.

So quick question...the people's that still aren't filled from last year (that their names were posted) aren't being pushed back time wise b/c there's been a ton of new pre orders as well to fill, right? Just another month+ bc of the China thing?

That is right, SGMs will be shipped according to the pre-order list order.

BTW, the good news is that we will be doubling the SGM installed base. Everybody wins. And I still have the SCART version to take care before the end of the year.

Edited by opcode
  • Like 1

Eduardo am I too late to get in on the SGM second run? Can I send payment and get on the list? :-)

I think it is a better idea if we wait until everything is set stone before we commit to more pre-orders. In addition to that, I still need to check exactly how many pre-orders I have and how many of the 200 modules are still available.

It's full of bugs...

The only arcade games released by Universal in 1981 were Cosmic Avenger, Lady Bug and Snap Jack. I can't imagine you porting a weird game like Snap Jack or a generic shooter like Cosmic Avenger, so I would imagine that you're porting the arcade code of Lady Bug. :)

• Like 1

I think it is a better idea if we wait until everything is set stone before we commit to more pre-orders. In addition to that, I still need to check exactly how many pre-orders I have and how many of the 200 modules are still available.

I'm sure there's others that are interested in an SGM, but are waiting for the "dust to settle" on the current situation.

I'm sure there's others that are interested in an SGM, but are waiting for the "dust to settle" on the current situation.

And they're also waiting for "substantial" good news concerning DKA, as there's more than one potential SGM buyer out there who won't commit to purchasing the device until DKA's release date is set in stone.

The only arcade games released by Universal in 1981 were Cosmic Avenger, Lady Bug and Snap Jack. I can't imagine you porting a weird game like Snap Jack or a generic shooter like Cosmic Avenger, so I would imagine that you're porting the arcade code of Lady Bug. :)

there is also ZERO HOUR , i think.

Well that certainly gives it away - Lady Bug it is then.

Yep. :) If the end product is absolutely faithful to the arcade game, then I will certainly want to purchase a copy.

My only question is: Why Lady Bug and not Popeye? From what I remember, Eduardo already had 40% of the arcade code of Popeye disassembled, and I must admit I was kinda looking forward to seing how much better he could make the arcade port compared to the original Parker Brothers CV version. :)

Lady Bug would be a big let down for me considering the Coleco version is pretty damn good already and I played the heck out of it BITD, so I have absolutely no desire to buy an arcade perfect conversion for the CV/SGM.

While an arcade perfect conversion of Popeye would be a lot more interesting, I still would prefer something that has NOT been made for the CV previously.

BTW, DKA is a completely different beast for me and hopefully one day we will all be able to play that one on our CVs.

• Like 4

Yep. :) If the end product is absolutely faithful to the arcade game, then I will certainly want to purchase a copy.

My only question is: Why Lady Bug and not Popeye? From what I remember, Eduardo already had 40% of the arcade code of Popeye disassembled, and I must admit I was kinda looking forward to seing how much better he could make the arcade port compared to the original Parker Brothers CV version. :)

Because I thought it would make more sense to deal with the older stuff first, games from 1980-1981.

And we will get to some never before ported arcade games in 2017, some scrolling games. Plenty of games to show why the CV is the best classic home console for arcade games...

Talking about Popeye got me in the mood to do a mockup screenshot of what "Popeye Arcade" could actually look like on the ColecoVision. See below. :)

I'm not sure how the other levels would look like, but the first level translates pretty well, I think. :)

I like how the multi-colored sprites are towered to be 2 sprites on a line.