IGNORED

Intellivision 'Dual Action' Controller...

nurmix

• 1 year later...

Well, lot's of games can use either/both controllers at the same time ;) ...but the Dual Action Controller isn't necessarily going to offer any benefit unless it's a situation where you need disc and keypad input at the same time, and it's a 1 player game.

Basically, the only games I've tested so far that definitely benefit from the Dual Action Controller are the ones you listed + Ms. Night Stalker. That said, a game like TRON Solar Sailer can benefit a little in cases where you want to hit a keypad to switch beams and also want to shoot. I haven't really gone through all the other games to see if there are any others that are improved with the Dual Action Controller. Perhaps that's a future podcast segment.

Edited by nurmix

I wonder how many of us as kids ran into the issue? It’s obvious now, but I played 1-player games with my brother (Tron Diacs, Solar Sailor, Night Talker, etc) so didn’t understand the hardware limitation until the 21st Century. Man I’m slow...

Well, lot's of games can use either/both controllers at the same time ;) ...but the Dual Action Controller isn't necessarily going to offer any benefit unless it's a situation where you need disc and keypad input at the same time, and it's a 1 player game.

Basically, the only games I've tested so far that definitely benefit from the Dual Action Controller are the ones you listed + Ms. Night Stalker. That said, a game like TRON Solar Sailer can benefit a little in cases where you want to hit a keypad to switch beams and also want to shoot. I haven't really gone through all the other games to see if there are any others that are improved with the Dual Action Controller. Perhaps that's a future podcast segment.

• Like 1

I wonder how many of us as kids ran into the issue? Its obvious now, but I played 1-player games with my brother (Tron Diacs, Solar Sailor, Night Talker, etc) so didnt understand the hardware limitation until the 21st Century. Man Im slow...

The disc/keypad limitation is on page eight of the Intellivision instructions and the 1-9 pause feature is on page six. But I don't think the individual game instructions (eg NBA Basketball) explained the limitation.

Edit:

Tron Deadly Discs instructions actually recommends using one hand on each controller. As a kid I didn't play that way and I don't remember if I tried it. Night Stalker instructions also notes the limitation.

--------------

Back then, I always read the instructions before playing a new game. How could you play Solar Sailer without reading the instructions.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

I read and even STUDIED them. It was part of the fun of getting a new game for me. Hunched over my bowl of Cap'N Crunch or Lucky Charms at breakfast was the usual method.

Sent from my Keyboard Component using Jack's Conversational Intelli-talk cassette

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Shark Shark isn't compatible. You can test it by using one controller to move and trying the other controller to dart. Shouldn't be too hard to hack Shark Shark so top side button darts. Problem is once you touch the disc again your fish slows down.

Edited by mr_me

Shark Shark isn't compatible. You can test it by using one controller to move and trying the other controller to dart. Shouldn't be too hard to hack Shark Shark so top side button darts. Problem is once you touch the disc again your fish slows down.

To bad, that would of helped the game play if it did work.

I read and even STUDIED them. It was part of the fun of getting a new game for me. Hunched over my bowl of Cap'N Crunch or Lucky Charms at breakfast was the usual method.

Sent from my Keyboard Component using Jack's Conversational Intelli-talk cassette

For some reason when I got a new game I often couldn't play it right away but I could read the manual. I always played tron deadly discs with one controller in each hand even as a kid. It makes a huge difference for that game.

For some reason when I got a new game I often couldn't play it right away but I could read the manual. I always played tron deadly discs with one controller in each hand even as a kid. It makes a huge difference for that game.

Being left-handed in a right-handed world means that I do some stuff with one hand or the other, but I've never mastered the skill of dual wielding the controllers.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

If people have the two donor controllers to send me, yes I am still making them. I don't currently have any spare controllers to use.

Thanks for the heads up, I do have four controllers but I have been playing in the HSC and I have worn out two of them.. If you come across two new ones at a fair price let me know.. Maybe this summer i may find a few flashbacks at garage sales. lets see...

I would love to have one made up for me..

Cheers

Thanks for the heads up, I do have four controllers but I have been playing in the HSC and I have worn out two of them.. If you come across two new ones at a fair price let me know.. Maybe this summer i may find a few flashbacks at garage sales. lets see...

I would love to have one made up for me..

Cheers

OK, keep me posted. You'd be joining an elite club - I've only made 17 so far.

Edited by nurmix
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...