IGNORED

What's wrong with char_put void ?

FredTheFred

Hello all

I've got a problem to display a character by using put_char void. In the documentation i can read this :

void put_char (byte x,byte y,char s);
Example:
char c;
c = 'A';
put_char(15,11,c);
I understand char c to define c like a character type variable, c='A' c variable equals A character and put_char to display c variable at x/y location.
but when i try to complie the void in my program, SDCC return an error : syntax error: token -> '=' ; column 4 !
what's wrong for me ?
Thanks you all for help again...

Is that your actual real code, or just a generic example? Your example code seems fine to me anyway...

That kind of error message usually indicates that there's something wrong with the line above the line number indicated.

It's a generic example taken from documentation. I just get it back in my own program to test the command -

In my program, inside include library i put char c; c = 'A'; and in a routine i put put_char(15,11,s);

and it doesn't work.

It's a generic example taken from documentation. I just get it back in my own program to test the command -

In my program, inside include library i put char c; c = 'A'; and in a routine i put put_char(15,11,s);

and it doesn't work.

Have you tried this, by any chance?

char c = 'A';
put_char(15,11,c);

If I'm not mistaken, standard C language doesn't allow any instructions above variable definitions. You have to define all your variables at the beginning of the function, and the rest of the function are your instructions. I'm not 100% sure about that though, but anyway, when I code in C, I always define all variables at the beginning of each function. :)

• Like 1

Here's a working example how put_char works. I usually declare several temporary variables globally since I reuse them constantly. Byte and char variables works with the put_char function.

#include <coleco.h>
#include <getput1.h>

byte a;

char letter;

void main(void){

screen_mode_2_text();

screen_on();
disable_nmi();
upload_default_ascii(BOLD);
fill_vram(0x2000,0x90,2048);
a='B';
put_char(3,3,a);
letter='A';
put_char(4,4,letter);
pause();
}
void nmi(){
}

Can't you change this :-

a='B';
put_char(3,3,a);
letter='A';
put_char(4,4,letter);

to this :-

put_char(3,3,'B');
put_char(4,4,'A');
It seems a bit odd to use a variable to hold a constant. If you were writing out a string using *ptr++ then that would be different.

Can't you change this :-

to this :-

put_char(3,3,'B');
put_char(4,4,'A');
It seems a bit odd to use a variable to hold a constant. If you were writing out a string using *ptr++ then that would be different.

Yes you can. You can also,

number=4;

You can also do, put_char(5,5,number+48); to print what number the variable is holding. I used this to print single number on screen.

Hello all

I've got a problem to display a character by using put_char void. In the documentation i can read this :

void put_char (byte x,byte y,char s);
Example:
char c;
c = 'A';
put_char(15,11,c);
I understand char c to define c like a character type variable, c='A' c variable equals A character and put_char to display c variable at x/y location.
but when i try to complie the void in my program, SDCC return an error : syntax error: token -> '=' ; column 4 !
what's wrong for me ?
Thanks you all for help again...

It looks like a bug in SDCC.