IGNORED

Rare 2600 Cart Census?

That's kinda what I thought he meant too. Although I think there are enough people here that know of or have copies of these games that we could determine "close" estimates. But there will always be a few that keep their collections private. I understand, but also collections like these need to be played with and shown. Don't forget "we" are probably the last generation that will actually play and collect these games(2600 specifically). So if collecting for future value, if might be slowing down soon!!! Unless we keep the popularity alive and not all to ourselves. I think exact numbers would help this and drive demand and prices for the most "rare" titles and keep the collecting market hot. So anyway collect what you like and ENJOY IT! Thanks for the input.

• 3 weeks later...

There are plenty of people who enjoy movies and music made before they were born, so who's to say future generations won't also enjoy video games from before their time? I think video games are still far too new as an art/entertainment form to really know how they'll survive. I've definitely seen young kids enjoying Atari games and I think aficionados of the future will certainly appreciate them the same way music buffs covet old 78s.

That said, I think it would be interesting to know how many copies there are of some of the rarer games in relation to how many active collectors there are out there. Sure, there may be fewer than 10 copies of super rare carts like Birthday Mania or Video Life, but even some of the 9 rarity games, especially things like Quadrun and Q*Bert's Qubes that were put out by the big names, must have sold in the low thousands at the very least. Are there enough copies of Waterworld for all of us to have one, it's just a matter of tracking them down?

125 copies of Pepsi Invaders were made, thirty are documented in the hands of collectors. How many are left undocumented, and how many were thrown away, trashed, or otherwise gone? One just turned up, so some still exist. I made up those numbers, but multiply this by the quantity of different games, and it all becomes anyone's best guess...

125 copies of Pepsi Invaders were made, thirty are documented in the hands of collectors. How many are left undocumented, and how many were thrown away, trashed, or otherwise gone? One just turned up, so some still exist. I made up those numbers, but multiply this by the quantity of different games, and it all becomes anyone's best guess...

Hence my original reply. ;)

• 1 year later...

I saw a registry for BMX airmaster(NTSC), so has anyone else made registry lists for other 2600 games? I couldn't find any. I would still like to have some numbers on at least the top 20 if anyone knows or wants to make a list? Sears Superman is one I am personally interested in, as I have a nice copy and haven't seen any others for sale in many years, and the last one I saw is mine. If you know of a registry list please send me a link. Thanks

I saw a registry for BMX airmaster(NTSC), so has anyone else made registry lists for other 2600 games? I couldn't find any. I would still like to have some numbers on at least the top 20 if anyone knows or wants to make a list? Sears Superman is one I am personally interested in, as I have a nice copy and haven't seen any others for sale in many years, and the last one I saw is mine. If you know of a registry list please send me a link. Thanks

No problem.

We'll send you a link around 2084.

8)

• 6 months later...

There are plenty of people who enjoy movies and music made before they were born, so who's to say future generations won't also enjoy video games from before their time? I think video games are still far too new as an art/entertainment form to really know how they'll survive. I've definitely seen young kids enjoying Atari games and I think aficionados of the future will certainly appreciate them the same way music buffs covet old 78s.

That said, I think it would be interesting to know how many copies there are of some of the rarer games in relation to how many active collectors there are out there. Sure, there may be fewer than 10 copies of super rare carts like Birthday Mania or Video Life, but even some of the 9 rarity games, especially things like Quadrun and Q*Bert's Qubes that were put out by the big names, must have sold in the low thousands at the very least. Are there enough copies of Waterworld for all of us to have one, it's just a matter of tracking them down?

Yep, i'm a younger retrogamer myself, I grew up in the PlayStation era, and the SNES was new when I was born, yet I am a big Atari and Odyssey fan, I have 3 atari 2600 Consoles (1 '77 Sunnyvale Heavy 6er, one '80 (TRW Taiwan) light 6er, and 1 '86 "Short Rainbow" 2600 JR )., and at least 90 unique titles, and many more including dupes and label variations. I also have a 10 in 1 jakks Tv game, a FB2, and many different sets of official and third party controllers. I also have many other consoles, PONG, Magnoavox Odyssey 2 (CIB), Intellivision (Boxed), and others.

I have a lot of interests of things older than me, and a lot of my things I own are older than I am (and i'm not talking about the video games or computers here). That includes my truck, a 1981 Dodge Ram, and my project car, a 1981 Imperial coupe. I love the older things, I guess, my parents growing up, especially my dad, were big into buying antiques, flea markets, garage sales, thrift stores, antique malls, estate sales, auctions etc, I went to a lot of them as a kid, and still do at times.

My parents even opened a Resale/Antique store of their own, and I get first priority on any game stuff that comes in.

Edited by Polybius
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

this can't be more true, I am a really new collector, my first console was a gamecube, but the 2600 is my favorite console to collect for. also, I wish there were enough waterworlds for everyone, it is one of my most wanted right now.