IGNORED

Installation of Upgrades/repairs in the eastern USA

IndusGT

I feel your pain IndusGT. My abilities on Atari repair are also non-existent. I have a Atari 1200XL with a bad keyboard and was looking for someone to repair or someone with a spare willing to part with it (either for any reasonable price) but found no takers. I did end up though getting a hold of Steven Tucker and he is in process of customizing a Tricked-Out 1200XL for me. He said it will take a few weeks but I'm sure it will be well worth it. The offer of repair of or just buying a working keyboard is still open though if there are any takers.

I feel your pain IndusGT. My abilities on Atari repair are also non-existent. I have a Atari 1200XL with a bad keyboard and was looking for someone to repair or someone with a spare willing to part with it (either for any reasonable price) but found no takers. I did end up though getting a hold of Steven Tucker and he is in process of customizing a Tricked-Out 1200XL for me. He said it will take a few weeks but I'm sure it will be well worth it. The offer of repair of or just buying a working keyboard is still open though if there are any takers.

did you e-mail or call Steve tucker or both?

What is a reasonable price?

Bob

I emailed Steve. He was definitely slow in answering. Sometimes taking a week or more, but I have zero date that patience will be rewarded. I have little reference to what a reasonable price really should be, but I know that Best used to sell them in the $60 dollars plus shipping range. If you are offering Bob, give me a price and I will talk to the boss (yes, I mean wife) and we can see if we have a deal, especially if you just have one you are willing to sell.

Joe C.

All told, it takes over an hour to fix and ship a 1200XL keyboard. To be thorough, you also need to use it for a week or two to test its quality. Shipping back and forth will put you North of $80 ($60+$20) if you are in the States. I can look into having someone fix keyboards for $40 (maybe less...) plus shipping both ways, if there are users out there that are willing to pay that much.

I don't like the idea of selling them outright, since the supply is finite and they can normally be repaired successfully.

Bob

I emailed Steve. He was definitely slow in answering. Sometimes taking a week or more, but I have zero date that patience will be rewarded. I have little reference to what a reasonable price really should be, but I know that Best used to sell them in the $60 dollars plus shipping range. If you are offering Bob, give me a price and I will talk to the boss (yes, I mean wife) and we can see if we have a deal, especially if you just have one you are willing to sell.

Joe C.

• Like 1

If you ,Bob, or anyone out there would be willing to take $80 with the shipping (or maybe $75 with me paying to ship it to you if address is in continental US) I would take the deal. It would be well worth it to have a functional keyboard till I get my tricked-out one from Steve T. Even when I do the wife won't let me have it until Christmas. So any takers? Bob?

Joe C.

Installing other people's upgrades is problematic. If you do your own, you have two sources of error - the upgrade provider or your hardware. Add in a third party installer just makes it so messy.

Bob

I second this! I have been working on Atari hardware for over 20 years, and installing mods for people can get frustrating when the hardware fails. With that said, I am in eastern PA, so right in the middle of the east coast, more or less. I would be happy to help repair hardware, but I prefer to do it to original working order by following the service manuals. If there is one of the common RAM or video upgrade present, that's not a huge deal, but a computer with 4 or 5 mods can be a nightmare to work on.