IGNORED

The Sega Genesis in 1989

CGQuarterly

http://youtu.be/buQ51b5dQl8

Hey guys,

So this was the reason that I created that other thread asking about game launch windows. This episode is a follow-up to the Sega Genesis Launch Spectacular, and takes a look at the rest of the games released for the system in 1989.

Thanks for watching!

• Like 2

A lot of good stuff came out in 1989 for the Genesis.

Games from that year that I own and have beaten:

Ghouls n Ghosts

Golden Axe

Revenge of Shinobi

Forgotten Worlds

I also have Truxton but I'm unable to beat it (make it loop). It's too damn hard.

That is never easy to say. For one, 1989 can refer to the Japanese release.

And secondly, there may have been delays in distribution. Even if a game was manufactured in 1989, it may have taken until early 1990 to get it out for logistical reasons.

It is hard to really tell, you have to browse ads from the time to be sure. Like old Toys'R Us ads etc. I remember I waited for quite a few games that were meant to be released on day X for weeks and in one case months here in Germany before they were actually available in stores. Christmals 1992 for example was a long and fruitless quest for World of Illusion for example... supposed to be out, but no store had it until early 1993.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I don't remember anyone considering the TG-16 to be serious competition for the Sega Genesis in '89. Everyone thought the Sega Genesis was awesome, and the only thing I ever heard about the TG-16 was doubt that it was really "16-bit". I never even knew anyone who owned one.

I disagree with your assertion that "NEC had more brand recognition with consumers", at least with regard to US consumers in the target video game market. I had never even heard of NEC prior to the TG-16. I don't remember seeing any consumer electronics from the '80s being made by NEC such as TVs, VCRs, stereos, etc. (that's not to say they didn't exist, I just don't remember seeing any; they certainly didn't have the name recognition of RCA, Zenith, GE, Sony, or Panasonic), and more importantly, nothing video game-related (aside from computer chips, which the average person wouldn't know about). Sega, on the other hand, had already released a console in the U.S. 3 years prior (the Master System), and even though it wasn't nearly as successful as the NES, it was still well-known (they ran plenty of national TV commercials for it).

Additionally, anyone who was familiar with the earlier generations of consoles such as the Atari 2600 and ColecoVision most likely saw the Sega name on some of their game cartridges. For example, I used to play Carnival on the ColecoVision in the early '80s, which has "Sega" written prominently on the label and on the title screen. The same goes for Star Trek.

On top of all that, Sega had a strong arcade presence throughout the 1980s, e.g., Carnival, Frogger, Turbo, Pengo, Star Trek, Zaxxon, Congo Bongo, Out Run, After Burner, Shinobi, Hang-on, Altered Beast, Golden Axe, Super Monaco GP.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I love Sega and Nintendo, but I hate how Nintendo fanboys compare SNES to Genesis technically when Genesis was out 2+ years prior. Revisionist history at its finest. Commercials of Gen Vs. SNES and eventually SNES vs. Gen are fine, but if you're going to make a video as an impartial historian, be real. Your e-dick isn't bigger because you liked Sega or Nintendo.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

i got my genesis a bit later still got the altered beast one bu i thought it was truely arcade quality at home

at the time toys r us had space harrier and super thunderblade for $19.99 each so i got those as well then had a coupon to get a free sports game i picked buster douglas which arrived about a month later

i seem to recall that kaybee toys still had mostly sega master system stuff

Edited by bohoki

Looking forward to the Saturn launch video. That was an exciting (and expensive) time for me.

I missed the Saturn era so it really is nice Windows can read Saturn discs directly and you can launch the games direct into an emu. Just picked up a cheap copy of Crypt Killer and having a good time with it.

Is Saturn emulation any good yet? There are many exclusives I'd love to play again.

I am having a good time with SSF. Seems to play every disc I throw at it so far. The latest R4 version has a flicker problem so if you see those issues use R3 like I do.

Edited by LiqMat

Yeah Truxton was a tough game for sure even set on Easy I did not get past the very end. I did a review on last September and put out raw footage as well.

rough game but addicting. TRUXTON say it with me.

A lot of good stuff came out in 1989 for the Genesis.

I also have Truxton but I'm unable to beat it (make it loop). It's too damn hard.