IGNORED

Was given a TI-99/4A Have a few questions

BenG76

8443f504d64558c7e816e18545178901.jpg65e9f2664aaf01ef281ccd81076966ac.jpg80e9b5a2f52ff2c0a164efd5271c576d.jpg87f888e5d697f65387386029c5536e6e.jpg

I was given the TI-99/4A as shown above. Unfortunately it did not come with a power cord. Can anyone point me in the direction of the correct one? Also is there a site to learn about using this. Never had one of these in the past. I do want to pick up a few of the cartridge games to play on it also. What joysticks or controllers are compatible with this as well?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide. I am sure I will have more questions as I go along. I never got to really use computers like this when I was young so this is all new to me.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Edited by BenG76
  • Like 1

Welcome to the

I was given the TI-99/4A as shown above. Unfortunately it did not come with a power cord. Can anyone point me in the direction of the correct one? Also is there a site to learn about using this. Never had one of these in the past. I do want to pick up a few of the cartridge games to play on it also. What joysticks or controllers are compatible with this as well?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide. I am sure I will have more questions as I go along. I never got to really use computers like this when I was young so this is all new to me.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Welcome. The TI is a fun machine.

You can also learn quite a bit on some of the emulators there are here like Classic99, MESS, etc.

Not to mention the TI'ers that cruise here on AA are all very helpful.

Welcome to the

Welcome. The TI is a fun machine.

You can also learn quite a bit on some of the emulators there are here like Classic99, MESS, etc.

Not to mention the TI'ers that cruise here on AA are all very helpful.

Thanks for the welcome. I hope I can get this up and running soon.

Nothing like firing up your TI and seeing that Title screen.

If youre primarily interested in gaming, there are many many good games out there.

If youd like to learn to program in the console BASIC, you are in luck, as TI BASIC is fun, quick, and versatile---plus it is built in. ;)

Welcome to the site... You're entering an awesome journey, if you get it to fire up. :)

I now have a power cord, AV cables and a few games on the way. I will be looking for an adapter to use other controllers for this as well once I know it works. If it doesnt work I will probably pick up a working unit since I have several games on the way for it.

Mainly looking to get into the cartridge games to start with but I may expand from that later. I would like to find a lot of some of the educational and kids games my 8 year old daughter could play. If anyone has a lot of them on the cheap please let me know.

• Like 1

Mainly looking to get into the cartridge games to start with but I may expand from that later. I would like to find a lot of some of the educational and kids games my 8 year old daughter could play. If anyone has a lot of them on the cheap please let me know.

Gazoo has put together a series of games and educational cartridges. They are basically modern cartridges with the programs from MULTIPLE cartridges stuffed into each cartridge. From a space and money saving aspect, this may be the best solution for you.

With any luck someone will pop in here with directions to where you can obtain them. Just something else to consider. :)

Gazoo has put together a series of games and educational cartridges. They are basically modern cartridges with the programs from MULTIPLE cartridges stuffed into each cartridge. From a space and money saving aspect, this may be the best solution for you.

With any luck someone will pop in here with directions to where you can obtain them. Just something else to consider. :)

That sounds good. Maybe someone can tell me how to get those or find out more about them.

I now have a power cord, AV cables and a few games on the way. I will be looking for an adapter to use other controllers for this as well once I know it works. If it doesnt work I will probably pick up a working unit since I have several games on the way for it.

Also try arcadeshopper.com where you'll find some of the new programs recently released on cartridge. They are awesome!

• Like 1

That sounds good. Maybe someone can tell me how to get those or find out more about them.

Ben,

the original thread with the cartridge .bin files for eprom burning is HERE

It's a long thread and there are a lot of messages to go through to find them. I do have them where it's accessible easily. PM me

You will find plenty of educational cartridges available on Ebay for next to nothing, job lots can usually be had as apprently no one is that interested in them, I have quite a few and my kids loved most of them-so they have proved to be a functional part of my collection.

There are a few options for 32k ram expansion.

Sidecar 32k cards (hard to find)

PEBs that have 32k, disk drives, and other expansion cards available (easier to find but are big).

32k in the console modification (can be tough if you are not good with a soldering iron)

Then you can go the newer route if desk space is an issue. The Nano-PEB or CF7+ has the ability to support up to 3 disk images (all images are saved on a CF card and mounted through commands)

They both have 32k memory expansion on them.

The difference:

NanoPEB have a serial port, where the CF7+ has a parallel port.

Both are smaller than a cigarette pack.

I did notice that the designers website is down at the moment. I have contacted him and he said he would get the site back up, it's just been hectic few months.

You will be able to contact him directly to find out if he has stock in these if you want to pursue this route.

His site is: http://webpages.charter.net/nanopeb/

Also if you want to look into another upgrade for this console, which is one of the best out there and simple is the F18A video upgrade.

Gives you enhanced video, 80 columns and allows you plug the video into a VGA port!

Read more HERE

I have this upgrade in my TI and it makes it crystal clear.

Edited by Cschneider
  • Like 1