IGNORED

Ultimate Cart (SD multicart) - preorders thread

electrotrains

Hi All,

The Ultimate Cart is an SD-card based multicart for the Atari 8-bit, which I've been developing for the last few months. It allows you to browse the SD card on the atari and launch cartridge images from ROM and CAR files from the menu. The PCB is designed to fit in a standard grey cartridge case (after a bit of modification with some clippers and a file).

post-41252-0-87001700-1439927383_thumb.jpg

It supports most ROMs up to 1 megabyte in size, including standard 8k and 16k cartridges, XEGS, AtariMax 1 & 8mbit ROMs, SIC! Cart, Bounty Bob, OSS, SDX & Williams. ROM dumps can be easily converted into CAR format with my conversion utility.

To learn more about the hardware and development, the original thread is here.

The project is open source. PCB files, programming files and source files will be available on github shortly, and I'll open a technical thread for discussion when this has been done. The hardware includes an FPGA and could be used for a lot more than a multicart - co-processor & SD-card based hard disk are two possible future avenues for development. There is a JTAG header to allow the cartridge firmware to be reprogrammed in the future.

post-41252-0-39993900-1439927451_thumb.jpgpost-41252-0-41225100-1439927641_thumb.jpgpost-41252-0-67780300-1439927586_thumb.jpg

Now that I've assembled and tested the second board I think its probably time to open a pre-orders thread so I can get some idea of interest.

The price will be £70 (+postage) for the cartridge board (ready to use, but uncased).

If you are interested in one, please reply to this thread.

At the moment, this is only to give me some idea of numbers and to reserve your place in the queue. It is not a commitment to buy or for me to supply one. I'm not sure how many of these I'm prepared to make, and it may take me some time, so I will contact people as I make the boards, and check they are still interested.

Since its open source, I'm hoping some others may make the boards too, and might be able to charge less than me.

Initially, I've got 3 more PCBs on the way, and I will prioritise any UK or European orders, since it will be easier to post/return if there are any unexpected teething problems. Beyond that I'll see how much interest there is.

Robin

Edited by electrotrains
  • Like 11

2 for me.

Thank you for all of your work.

I wish it was designed to fit the brown cases with the metal back, but there isn't a screw hole in the middle, so I guess that is out, unless you haven't finalized the PCB yet. As long as I'm wishing... a micro-SD version or a USB drive version would be nice too.

Edited by Defender II

I'm in for one, please.

Is it possible to move the SD card slot down any further, or is the design finalized? My concern is that this doesn't look like it will work in an 800 with the lid shut.

If not, I'm still interested, but 800s are my daily drivers. I would prefer a cart that works with them.

I'm in for one, please.

Is it possible to move the SD card slot down any further, or is the design finalized? My concern is that this doesn't look like it will work in an 800 with the lid shut.

If not, I'm still interested, but 800s are my daily drivers. I would prefer a cart that works with them.

Answer is here:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?/topic/239287-In-development---SD-card-based-Multicart/page__view__findpost__p__3301452

• Like 1

I'll take 2.

Do you have a menu(software) screen image you could post?

Thank you

The built-in menu is basic, but functional. It allows navigation, selection and reboot with the cartridge disabled, from the keyboard.

post-41252-0-15740000-1439937471_thumb.jpg

flashjazzcat is working on a funkier, more colourful version of the menu which also allows joystick control. It hopefully be ready soon and I'm sure he or I will post screenshots when done. The menu can also be updated without re-flashing the fpga - its simply a case of copying an 8k ROM file to the SD card and giving it a special name. Since everything is open source, it will be easy for people to customise the menu if they know a bit of 6502 or even just want to change the colours.

• Like 5