IGNORED

Ultimate Cart (SD multicart) - preorders thread

electrotrains

• 2 weeks later...

santosp has been making these carts and selling them before me but if he runs out or is ok with me selling a couple I would be happy to.

Ken

Hi Ken.

My work on this after 30 devices, has come to an end. I have already inform any member who asking me for one via p.m.'s, cause "maybe I will make in future again, if no someone else make from these first"! I am very glad to see this take place. :)

Edited by santosp
  • Like 1

I would like one of these, how does it compare to the likes of AtariMax MyIDEII ? Sorry, I'm a bit of a noob with these devices.

In a certain way these devices are comparable to each other, but not completely.

Same devices can run XEX games (put the games on a card using PC/Mac, insert card in MyIDE 2 or This Ultimate SD cartridge and switch on atari and play)

This Ultimate SD Cart does support way more types of ROM files. You can also put AtariMax 8Mbit ROMs on the SD cart; something that is not possible with MyIDE 2.

On the other side, MyIDE 2 is Read/Write, so you can use MyIDE 2 also for writing your own programs in basic or assembler and store them on the CF card; you can write novels with The Last Word and store it on the CF card.

If you are mainly into gaming I think the Ultimate SD cart is one of the best things you can get.

If you want to do other stuff, I'd go for the MyIDE 2; if these were the only two choices of course.

• Like 1

Good summary, ProWizard!

The XEX loading functionality was added to the Ultimate Cart firmware last week - a beta firmware is available for download from the forum, and it will probably be unchanged for the final version since I haven't had any bug reports. This new firmware also incorporates flashjazzcats flashier menu.

Basically, the Ultimate Cart lets you drag XEX files and cartridge dumps (ROMs, CARs) onto an sd card, then stick the sd card into the cartridge and choose what you want to play from a menu on the atari.

It won't let you play ATRs (disk images), so you'll still want a SIO device for those. Although there are workrounds that might allow disk emulation to be added to the cart in the future, there's probably no 100% compatible way of doing disks through the cartridge port.

Robin

To add what ProWizard says, there's also the SIDE2 card available from Lotharek - it too lets you load .XEX files or, alternately, read/write files to hard disk partitions on an attached CF card. In combination with an Ultimate 1MB board, the SIDE2 can additionally be used to boot and load .ATR disk images.

But as far as just dragging and dropping ROM and CAR cart dumps onto a CF card, the Ultimate Cart seems to be the only game in town. I had planned to order one but ended up having some unexpected expenses right after Christmas so I'll have to wait a few months at least, and then see if anyone decides to build a new batch or two, or order the parts and have a go at it myself (not sure I'm up to doing it but you never know 'til you try).

It's an open-source hardware project, after all, right electrotrains?

DrVenkman,

At least 4 people (including myself) have built carts so far, perhaps more that I'm not aware of, so the plans on github are known to be complete and working.

There are also several other people that have said they are planning to produce some.

If you have a go yourself, then I'm sure there will be several people that can offer help and advice, myself included.

Robin

• Like 2

You all have to understand. It's not fun. It's a labor of love. I'm excellent at soldering, and even I prefer to buy certain things rather then build them. This board is a prime example.

Everything is tiny, and almost all components are SMD. A steady hand and lots of patience is required. My time far out valued my money on this one, hence why I bought it.

Just be patient. Linger around or check back every so often. Eventually another person will make another run.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Public invitation about Ultimate Cartridge.

Hello to all. :)

If any member need a Ultimate Cartridge, please feel free to contact me within p.m. I have arrange a last batch from these, and I need to complete the order of electronic parts.

This invitation is open till this Sunday.

Greetings Panos

Edited by santosp
  • Like 5