IGNORED

Need help setting up HxC floppy emulator

musicanic

I just bought a Lotharek HxC floppy emulator for my 99/4a but I am having trouble getting it set up. I have followed the software instructions and added a .dsk file which I downloaded. This creates a "disk image.hfe" file on the SD card, but when I put it in the emulator it says it can't find "HXCSDFE.CFG". What am I doing wrong?

I'm back with another problem, or at least an extension of the original.

My 99/4a has a PEB with 32k memory, disk controller (1240) and single disk drive (1250). I have then added the HxC to the external tab on the disk controller using a 34 way edge connector and a 34 way socket for the HxC. I have checked that connection No. 1 (red wire) goes to the right place at both ends (assuming that on my cased HxC it is the bottom pin nearest the jumper set). The ribbon cable is "twisted" as usual for an additional drive, so I have set the jumper on HxC to Drive B at ID2.

I have not done anything about the "termination pack" on the TI drive and I don't have an "adapter board" as mentioned in the TI manuals.

I did the SD again from scratch and used the CFG Schmitzi suggested. Then I went into the HxC Disk Browser, selected 5.25" 180k SSDD 300RPM FAT 12, did "Create Disk" and then Save/Export to the SD (I though it would be simpler to create an empty disk rather than try adding files which themselves might cause problems).

So, the HxC recognises my SD and reports "T:000/040 S:0". When I used Disk Manager 2 module to list what is on the disk, the HxC access light goes on and the display shows "RB T:000/040 S:0" and the Disk Manager reports error 16.

I am still obviously missing some fundamental step here, so any help is welcome.

My goal at the moment is to be able to load up the Scott Adams adventure files which I downloaded from the ftp site, either by using the SH838-ADV.dsk, or the individual files, assuming that one or other method will work through the SD card approach (or are they just for using on an emulator on a PC?).

Hi,

1. NO twisted floppy-cables at TI-Controller (!)

2. (ONLY if still not running, but normally it should when changed to NOT-twisted cable)

-> THEN connect the HxC internally, viewing from the Controller, on the 1st connector,

(with the 5.25-real-drive connected at the end of the cable, WITH resistors ON)

here my expample, (here jumpered for DSK1, and configured for only ONE drive, as HxC can emulate 2 drives at the same time)

and ONLY give him 5 Volts, as seen in the pic

post-41141-0-44212800-1440176313_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

3. Check that the CFG.file is on the SD as described before

4. copy any HFE-Files to the root or in a subfolder on the SD-Card

5. in Windows, before pulling the SD-card, say "EJECT" by RightKlick in the systray

6. Insert the SD-Card into the HcX, and check that one (of the following) Disks (.HFE) is inserted

(you should see this T:0000 bla - I think you got it, a some people sometimes forget to finally press

the middle button (=Enter) when inserting the file :) (Happens to me too when it was new for me :)

Here are 2 running example HFE-Files (converted from V9T9-DSKs to HFE, with the HcX-tool)

This niice copyprog here needs Extended Basic, should start automatically if DSK1:

Copy-CAT-RSX-DSSD_img.hfe

This here is Fred Kaal´s great DiskUtility-Tool from http://www.ti99-geek.nl/

You can start it with the Editor/Assembler-Option #5 -> DSK1.DU2K or DSK2.DU2K ...

du2k_v20_dsk.hfe

• Like 1

The ribbon cable is "twisted" as usual for an additional drive, so I have set the jumper on HxC to Drive B at ID2.

The only think I would add to Schmitzi's NO TWIST in the cable is...

If you want the drive to be what you call "B", I'm assuming you mean DSK2. I believe the proper setting on the HxC would be: ID1A

I am getting there, but...

I followed the advice from Schmitzi and "Omega" (untwisted the ribbon cable and changed the jumper setting). I also copied Schmitzi's 2 .hfe files to the SD card. I can now select and access each .hfe and catalog them using Disk Manager 2. However, if I try to run CopCat I get XB errors such as "syntax error 160". The program is protected to I can't list it. If I Load and Run DU2K I get I/O error 02. If I try to look at either of these .hfe's on my PC with the HxC Disk Browser I get a red warning at the bottom with "Some errors found during the image mounting! DOS Disk ? Disk damaged?". I have tried downloading and saving the files a second time but it made no difference.

I tried creating my own images, one for an empty disk and one with some files. In both cases I got "Disk not initialized".

However, I have been able to copy a Basic program from the real floppy drive to one of Schmitzi's images on the HxC without any errors. I do find I have had to switch the console off and on once or twice to get successful results. I have also moved the PEB connectors and the HxC connectors to try and remedy any bad connections.

Any more advice?

OK.

1. Test some other HFEs:

R_BAUER_dsk.hfe (should be unprotected)

DM1000v61_dsk.hfe

diagnostic_dsk.hfe

...and here some most common empty files for playing around:

EMPTY-DSKs-HFEs.zip

2. Open your CFG-file and check that "Generic Shugart" is chosen,

and that both options are OFF (Auto & DoubleStep)

Re-Save the CFG to the SD-card

3. Disconnect ANY other drive (your floppydrive) from the controller,

so that you can test the HxC alone. ONLY Jumper #1 is ON (=DSK1)

4. Maybe test your controller and your 32KB with the DIAG-Tools here

Thanks for all these extras. I have decided to take everything apart and clean all connectors, and replace the ribbon to the HxC (it was a modified cable anyway). I am still getting strange and inconsistent results, so I am thinking there may be a hardware problem. The console has been in a cupboard for nearly 30 years, the PEB is "New Old Stock" from Ebay, as is the real disk drive, but the 32k and controller are second-hand. I have a speech synth in between console and PEB, so I will remove that too.

I will get back when I have done this (a few days probably).

Thanks again for your help.

• Like 1

Good idea removing the speech from the mix and cleaning everything, that never hurts. I'd put the original disk drive back in as well WITHOUT the 32K card and see if you get good results with the drive and BASIC programs, then try the 32K and XB or EA/5 programs. If you still get no errors, do like the other guys said and use the HxC by itself. Sometimes diagnosing a problem without test equipment fall back to trial & error.

It's amazing how weird things can get with the TI. For example a friend of mine has an XB2.7s cartridge that had alway failed the self-test, even though everything worked on the cartridge. However, it only failed the test when a certain flex cable was being used. The assumption here is that the flex cable is going out of spec and the cartridge is relying heavily on the 32K card for the error checking. Why else would it fail using only one flex cable? (This could be used as a future failure warning test too! ;) ) Lucky Mainbyte has

<< this project >> if anyone ever needs it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

here in the repository you find working, empty DSKs&HFEs for ALL needs:

003-TI99BlankDisks-002.zip

In particular, just copy THIS .HFE-file here (taken from the repository) 001_360K_80T_DSSD_E.hfe

and copy it to your SD-Card.

If you mount it, then you should be able to format and anything it with the DiskManager (but it is already formatted)

good luck

schmitzi

PS: Are 40track-files running good ? problem with 80T only ?

PS 2.0:

Is your setting in the HXCSDFE.CFG in the meaning of:

- Generic Shugart

- AUTO = OFF

- DoubleStep = OFF

post-41141-0-91687300-1446984573_thumb.jpg

And some basic question:

- HxC-Drive alone and jumpered as DSK1 correctly, for a first test ? (to avoid cable/terminator-issues)

- is your 80-Track-Mod for 80 tracks on DSK1 ? :)

- SD-Card formatted FAT32 ?

- your HXCSDFE.CFG was the F*I*R*S*T (first, 1st, earliest) file copied to the freshly formatted SD-card ?

- Jumper 1 on the HxC is set to ON ?

- 12 volts (yellow) is NOT connected to your drive ?

post-41141-0-59152400-1446985187_thumb.jpg

I can make disks that read, and I can write files to them, but can't init them. Get disk error 16's.

Cheers, Arthur...

Use Ti99Dir to make a blank image (no name), convert it to HFE format, then whenever you need a new 'disk', copy it to the HxC with a different name. It'll act like a regular blank disk.

• Like 1