IGNORED

Disassembled source code of arcade game?

ledzep

Not sure if I'm asking this right. Is there a way to get a readable (disassembled) version of the source code for a particular arcade game? I've seen a few online, like for Asteroids and Battlezone I'm almost certain (but could be totally wrong about). I'm interested in the source for Space Firebird, I want to see how the original programmer(s) coded the enemy movements. But I'm not sure where to look (if it already exists) or how to do that (if there's a methodology, and I don't yet own that game, anyway). What searching I've done on Google gets me nothing. Maybe there's somebody out there who does this for every game he comes across, I don't know. Just thought I'd ask.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, I know the original source exists for Rampage -- you can see a picture of it via the Pie Factory Podcast show notes page. :) Doc Mack has it in his office at Galloping Ghost Arcade. He has source code for another game as well but I don't remember what...

I've started a few, but Warlords is the only one I (mostly) finished. I'd love to have Donkey Kong source to mess with.

Donkey Kong has been disassembled and commented comprehensively.

Check out www.donkeykongforum.com for threads and the actual commented source to download (you may have to register to download attachments)

You should find the discussion to your liking! The other day there was a new thread by someone who'd created a speeded-up (and slowed-down) ROM for players to mess with, to sharpen skills etc. Other discussion revolves around the cause of the famous Kill Screen, and so on. Fireball RNG is still a bit of a mystery.

Heck, how about I just attach the file as I can't even find the correct thread myself. :) Have fun... dkong-asm.txt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

would be great seeing some kind of wiki/cloudstorage activity with stuff like that - having such disassembled arcade game codes available is a huge valuable source of didactic material for game developers, specially the starting ones in the learning process - would be also interesting seeing which developers and distributors legally do not care sharing/allowing such documentation, and those who would love being part of such initiative, whatever from those now bankrupt companies, and whatever those more strong and known that would be sure considered cool by doing the same (hello, Nintendo and Konami!!! :D )