IGNORED

Advice for how to sell duplicate games

MrAtariGuy

Hey, I've acquired through yard sales and flea markets a pile of duplicate common atari 2600 games. Up till now I've just slowly made large lots of my duplicates and sold them on eBay in groups, but I was wondering if anyone had other advice for what to do. Should I take the time to sell them individually or just list large lots of like 10 copies of Asteroids. Thanks for any advice given.

The best money is in fully tested setups with original Atari joysticks and paddles fully tested with maybe 10 commons. People buying setups don't want rarities, they want a good working setup and the games they played, not the rare ones.

If you can't piece those together, commons are exceedingly hard to sell individually or in lots for any substantial cash, as you've experienced. I would say that you have little to lose by selling or donating good condition carts to Al at Atari Age to make homebrew/newbrew stuff with. Other than that, you are looking at $1 per piece in lots. Frankly, I am happy to have a good stockpile of commons for when I have a system setup to sell. Beyond that, they take up space.

Splitting up into lots is your best strategy. I don't recommend selling a lot of ten Asteroids though.

You can also donate the games to Albert of AtariAge for homebrew use, provided the shells are in good cosmetic condition. He'll buy them in bulk for I think 50 cents a piece. I'm sure Albert would be happy with your ten Asteroids, especially with upcoming store releases. Also pay close attention to any later released Atari 2600 games without the locking tabs. Typically these have red labels. Albert needs these shells for 7800 homebrew.

Edited by stardust4ever

I agree that the best way to offload games is to sell them with a cheap working unit. Look around your local CL or even ebay for a cheap 4 switcher or Jr. and some controllers. Test them out, shine them up, and sell them with 20-50 games. I believe you will get a better return on your games that way. Another possibility would be a "choose your game" lot. Put all the games you'd sell for about the same price together and start an eBay "buy it now" for X number of games of your choosing from this list. Selling in batches can often work out better because (for me at least) shipping a single game is usually more than I want to spend for the whole game. You could also potentially list them all on ebay and appropriately cheap prices and setup an automated bulk/combined shipping. That way buyers can see right away how much it will cost them to buy more than one or two games. One other method I almost forgot about would be to make a lot with all unique games and sell them on craigslist. Then you don't have to pay ebay or paypal fees and the buyer doesn't have to pay shipping.

You can also donate the games to Albert of AtariAge for homebrew use, provided the shells are in good cosmetic condition. He'll buy them in bulk for I think 50 cents a piece. I'm sure Albert would be happy with your ten Asteroids, especially with upcoming store releases. Also pay close attention to any later released Atari 2600 games without the locking tabs. Typically these have red labels. Albert needs these shells for 7800 homebrew.

This

• Like 1

Thank you all for the advice, I might see about taking the ones with good cases but bad labels to try and send in to AtariAge and the rest I'll have to consider from the rest of your suggestions. I only currently have one extra Jr. which I had used to try the Composite mod so I might try selling that with some games. Otherwise I guess I'll just wait to build up my variety again for a larger lot.

Tell you what... I am currently building my collection back and I would love to see a list of your games. I am very interested in anything "space" related... I had a ton of space shooters back in the day... I know it isn't many people's favorite, but I loved GORF. :)

I don't have anything particularly special but here's my list-

-Asteroids (8 )

-Combat (6)

-Berzerk (1)

-Pac-man (7)

-Defender (3)

-Yars Revenge (2)

-Space Invaders (8 )

-Star Raiders (2)

-Night Driver (1)

-Laser Blast (1)

-Donkey Kong (1)