IGNORED

C64 games without hardware sprites

José Pereira

Here's another one:

www.lemon64.com/?game_id=1114

It's indeed originally named Freddy Hardest in South Manhattan and was from that Spanish software house named Dinamic that seems they never get much love from C64 owners, probably the teams fault and very small C64 market in Spain...

It could be a direct port with the PMGs colouring the panels and the sides or to have more speed if in 32Bytes screen wide and horizontal hardware scrolling and take off those 'woodish' vertical collumns (waste PMGs here will make impossible to colour the panels and look very bad in 2:1 vs middle area in 1:1 ratio).

Probably some new coding possible to colour the guys and/or something else with PMGs possible to give better looking will turn it into something better/worth porting and playing...

:)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

All the movements and animation sure seems like it is all character based.

But I notice something .. when the player is walking between two passenger cars the player is partly visible through the accordion-like joint connecting cars. If that connector is not done by a sprite then they went to the extra effort to make a set of characters for the partly obscured player. hard working programmers that.

Mariusz if you translate the gfxs and enemys data into bitmap mode there is a way to convert the game with our guy using two Players multicolour.

Good that you answered because I was to post what I had in mind but I totally forgot because of other things ;).

I'll post what I have in mind...

P.s.- Colour pixels are bit 0 or 1?

Humm maybe, maybe or maybe not...

Can you please post the bit-pairs pink, gray and black of the guys soft sprites?

I'm thinking in something but I'm still without possibility to run C64 emulators (www.atariage.com/forums/topic/245749-c64-emulators-dont-work-yes-i-know-that-is-out-of-topic).

Thanks.

Edited by José Pereira

Agreed on being a good game. Spent countless hours going deeper and deeper into the dungeons...

What do you have in mind with improvements ?

When you enter a completely new room, it draws the tiles to the screen in real time. I reckon that this could be speeded up, firstly by just turning the screen off and back on again when it is finished. And perhaps some screens could have a different colour scheme.

It may be worth analysing the tiles also to see if there is space to add some new tiles. (a new type of brick). This will add a bit more variety to it.

• Like 1

Sorry to ask again but really need a help to know on Switchblade the 3colours of the guys pink, light gray and black wich bit-pairs are?

Please.

Thanks.

It's quite difficult (for me) without digging into game code. Why you need that? If you want to make some mockups, then you may make your own assumptions about the pixels.

To begin here's a simple screen that can be present while loading because haven't any DLIs and even in Antic4/Gr.12 only have 1charset and there are still free chars to be used on more things like credits,... and also 3 PMGs left for more colourings :):
post-6517-0-44205700-1448245999_thumb.png

Here's Switchblade based on the C64 bitmap version (thanks goes to T.M.R. that kindly get me the bit-pairs :thumbsup:).

Yes, that's what I was suspecting ;) and it can be ported and then do like many others recent Mariusz ports (like Saboteur future adding of the PMGs overlays to get the colour :)).

The 3guys colours are BAK, PF0 and PF1 (same bit-pairs as on C64) and then there's other one that on A8 will always be same dark gray as PF2 then use same bitmap mode (ours GR.15).

I also did the 'backs' wall stones lines to use dark gray so this way the guys have a lighter gray and would distinguish better than on the C64 version.

With this what is needed is to use Prior0 (with all Players and Missiles used for the gfxs colouring and in quadruple wide and it seems even possible to have them in double scanline resolution to save Memory) for the gfxs that our guy goes behind ;):

-> For the 'crane type' metalic platforms P0, P1, M0 and M1;

-> For the wood boxes P2, P3, M2 and M3 can have any colour (here is brown and pale green but any others possible like in C64 are more: red, blue, green,...);

post-6517-0-18692400-1448246049_thumb.png

:P

:thumbsup:

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 5