IGNORED

Sensitive ECS Synthesizer Keys?

Intellivet

Hello all,

I'm relatively new to this forum so hope this hasn't already been answered somewhere else. I acquired two Intellivision ECS synthesizers over the course of the last year or so over eBay (one U.S. white version and the other the European brown version). I only have the white U.S. ECS console to play with them both (for now; some day hope to have the European console as well). All of the keys on both synthesizers work and appear to depress normally. The white synthesizer works 100% perfectly where you push down the key once and hold it plays one continuous note; no problem. When I push down any of the brown synthesizer keys about half of the time the note plays like the white version I have. The other half of the time, however (doesn't matter which key I push), the brown synthesizer will quickly play the same note two or three times in succession with only one key depression where you hold it, so the keys appear to be much more sensitive. Also, if you hold down a key on the brown synthesizer and subtly "wobble" your finger back and forth on the key it will play multiple notes, whereas this does not happen with the white one at all.

Is this normal for the brown one to be so much more "sensitive" when depressing keys than the white version or does it probably need some degree of maintenance to have the keys become less sensitive like the white one? Could I be missing or need replacement of some sort of part in the brown synthesizer to help not make the keys so sensitive to play? Is there anywhere we can send a synthesizer to in order to have it repaired if it needs to be assessed by a technician? I assume that this is not due to the fact I am using a white ECS with a brown synthesizer as the different ECS versions should not work differently than the other? Any thoughts you have would be most appreciated.

All I have to say is you have a brown synthesizer? That is awesome! Working flakey or not that is a cool find.

I love the brown system look but eventually gave up and assembled a white system since all the parts were just easy to find.

Thanks! Agree it's great to have the brown version of the synthesizer and shouldn't complain as at least all the keys work on an over 30 year old device but just not sure if this sensitivity issue is " normal", "faulty", or if anyone has seen this before. My thought is that it does mean the synthesizer is somehow mildly faulty but if someone out there who also has these synthesizers could check that they both work the same on a white ECS console or if have seen the same issue then that would help me feel more confident on how to proceed on the issue.