IGNORED

SH205 unrecognized

Such things belong in museum now. I really don't see the point of struggling with those low capacity noisy monsters in 2015, unless you want working oldie for demonstration purpose.

Get some modern mass storage or build it self. Flash cards are cheap. Mechanic has it's lifetime.

Just for the fun of trying to get up and running.

Edited by walter_J64bit

OK, the SH205 I have does seem to work but the MFM ST225 hard drive is unrecognized is there a way to fix this? I can park the heads on the drive the, it does try to boot, but when it comes to setting up a partition or formatting I can't do any thing. :?

What software are you using to set it up? If you are using Atari's AHDI you may want to try an older version. The SH205 was a very early hard drive in the ST realm. Maybe an earlier version of the software would work.

http://www.oldgamesfinder.com/?m=8&q=Ahdi

What software are you using to set it up? If you are using Atari's AHDI you may want to try an older version. The SH205 was a very early hard drive in the ST realm. Maybe an earlier version of the software would work.

http://www.oldgamesfinder.com/?m=8&q=Ahdi

WOW, that's a great link, I have tried AHDI 6.601 and ICD's AdSCSI 6.5.5 they both find the hard drive controller in my SH205. I'll check out the older drivers just to see. :-D

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Update, It was a bad motherboard the original HD works but the old data was lost and the new case fan not as noisy all I hear is just the HD.

I just got my hands on my old SH205 from when I was in high school, hoping to get it up and running again with my 1040STFM. The issues I'm facing sound almost exactly the same as what's described here. It had been safely stored away so was hoping it'd be good to go but the software is having trouble identifying it and keeps asking if the cables are connected properly. :(

The thing is definitely well past its lifespan but it'd be fun seeing the old beast and its massive 20Mb storage working again if it were possible but I wonder if I might have run into the same issue as you did. How did you diagnose it?

I just got my hands on my old SH205 from when I was in high school, hoping to get it up and running again with my 1040STFM. The issues I'm facing sound almost exactly the same as what's described here. It had been safely stored away so was hoping it'd be good to go but the software is having trouble identifying it and keeps asking if the cables are connected properly. :(

The thing is definitely well past its lifespan but it'd be fun seeing the old beast and its massive 20Mb storage working again if it were possible but I wonder if I might have run into the same issue as you did. How did you diagnose it?

My Microsoft training kicked in! What I did first was get a new 20MB MFM hard drive from Best Electronics I was hoping that would be the fix but no. Now I have two working 20MB MFM drives but I'm only using the new drive. The next step was to tack down a new SH205 motherboard, Best Electronics didn't have any so I've called B&C Computervisions they had some but Bruce had to refurbished one, now it's all good! ;-) I hope you can get yours up and running!

Edited by walter_J64bit
  • Like 1

What I did first was get a new 20MB MFM hard drive from Best Electronics I was hoping that would be the fix but no. Now I have two working 20MB MFM drives but I'm only using the new drive. The next step was to tack down a new SH205 motherboard Best Electronics didn't have any so I've called B&C Computervisions they had some but Bruce had to refurbished one, now it's all good! ;-) I hope you can get yours up and running!

Thanks for the extra info, much appreciated! I had heard of Best Elec. but not B&C so that's another useful resource! Have been unsure in the past of trying to order because the postage costs (to .au) might be excessive. Definitely gives me something to think about though. :)

Will also run a few more tests with different AHDI disks and a spare 520 just in case it's the ST that's the problem.