IGNORED

Wonky Activision game?

bikeguychicago

Is there a trick to getting Activision games to work reliably on a 5200? I bought a copy of Decathlon at Half Price Books and tried to get it working. After inserting the game, the Atari logo would appear with a bunch of gibberish on the screen.

I cleaned the contacts and eventually got the game to run after several insertions and removals from the cartridge slot. It seems that for some reason the Activision games don't lock or engage reliably in the cart slot. Since this is my first 5200 Activision cart, I can't compare it to another game. However, I do not have this issue with either the Atari or Parker games that I own.

Has anyone else experienced this and, if so, can you provide any recommendations for getting the game to start up each and every time?

Thanks!

Note: I have a 2-port 5200 if that makes any difference.

Edited by bikeguychicago

That sounds like my experience trying to get Activision carts to work on my 2-port 500. They fit looser in the slot and you just have to find the magic position for them to boot up. Did you try to fold some cardboard to fit behind the Activision cart to make it connect better? Might work for you .

On my 7800, Activision carts are VERY tight and usually require to be cleaned every time before use. I'm afraid I'm going to crack the plastic on the cart slot some day. Atari Carts fit perfectly, and they have the PCB plastic shield which must protect it from corrosion, because they all work easily.

I don't have any 5200 carts made by Activision as I have about 25. Atari, Parker Bros, and Sega. Plus the Atarimax SD multicart. As for the Activision carts fitting into my 7800 console. They fit in there nice and easy and have absolutley no problem. I have the AT 84 serial number console with the Expansion Interface. Maybe these made systems have the better cart slot and the ones made later have that problem.

• Like 1

I've removed the roms and put them in Atari pcb's to get some of the games to work.

That's brilliant. Just like how some Sega Genesis owners do with Tengen carts.

I have nothing but problems with my 5200 Activision carts. I have 2 copies of River Raid and no matter how much cleaning I do, they don't work. All my Atari carts work and so do all of my Parker Bros carts.

Edited by Lynxpro

• 2 weeks later...