IGNORED

NIB Atari 2600 Heavy Sixer Question

Carlstew123

I just about guarantee that, if you were in the market, someone on here would put a package together for you... Console, sticks, and some good commons at an affordable price.

Thank you for sharing your treasure with us. :)

I have seen a bunch of ebay items with the console (not heavy sixer) and 50 games or so. What would you suggest is a fair pric to bid or buy a package deal for a light sixer and around 50 games? I was looking at the store here, but I didn't see too much at the present time.

I have seen a bunch of ebay items with the console (not heavy sixer) and 50 games or so. What would you suggest is a fair pric to bid or buy a package deal for a light sixer and around 50 games? I was looking at the store here, but I didn't see too much at the present time.

A Light Sixer system should retail for around $35. Games it depends. Usually 50 cents for commons like Combat, Pac-Man, E.T., Asteroids, Defender, etc. But altogether I would say around the $100-$125 range for a Light Sixer plus 50 games. Depending which games are in the lot.

A Light Sixer system should retail for around $35. Games it depends. Usually 50 cents for commons like Combat, Pac-Man, E.T., Asteroids, Defender, etc. But altogether I would say around the $100-$125 range for a Light Sixer plus 50 games. Depending which games are in the lot.

Take ET out of the common list. Ever since the landfill, it's been selling $5 loose. I just got $30 for a complete in box one last week.

Phil

Whatever it is, congrats on having and keeping a nice, clean boxed system for your son. :)

I do have to pick a nit on one of the replies, however:

And the 81103429 serial number seems more like a 4 switch woody serial number as most of them start with an 81 or 82. Light Sixers couldn't have been made in 1981 4 switch woodies were being made at that time.

I have a Light Sixer with an 81xxxxx serial number, stamped "Property of Atari Inc." under the top cover around the bezel, that looks very much like it was manufactured in mid-April 1981.

post-30400-0-88533100-1440717793_thumb.jpg

post-30400-0-77982400-1440717819_thumb.jpg

post-30400-0-07530800-1440717837_thumb.jpg

(I swear I posted this half an hour ago or more ... :? )

I think Natalie was either a troll, or an idiot. Either way she's (or he's) probably gone by now.

*facepalm*

It's all twice as funny now... thanks!

So that's where Shat came from. Backin89's original profile pic? Who knew? I thought Benny was just a really big Shatner fan and had been doing photoshops for LOLs all this time... :lol:

Edited by stardust4ever

First of all I never got to say welcome to atariage!!! :) All newcomers have to know the infamous story and legend of "backin89". You need to see the backin89 and airgames threads. You need to see these threads. Trust me it's a MUST READ!!

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/232173-atari-2600-vcs-incredible-hulk-parker-brothers-sealed/page-1?hl=+airgames

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/173247-help-me-get-my-daughter-a-bike-for-christmas/

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/174216-need-donations-to-help-a-poor-dude/

These should really be stickied somewhere.

Oh I know my place, or should I say I will choose my battles. Never heard that phrase before, but I'll keep that in mind.

You misunderstand, I wasn't trying to "put you in your place" or be snotty to you or anything like that (I mean, I'm pretty snotty, but I'm not *that* full of myself :-D ). It will make sense when you get to around page 22 of the Natalie888 thread. ;)

Edited by BassGuitari
  • Like 2

I would go for it.

Whatever it is, congrats on having and keeping a nice, clean boxed system for your son. :)

I have a Light Sixer with an 81xxxxx serial number, stamped "Property of Atari Inc." under the top cover around the bezel, that looks very much like it was manufactured in mid-April 1981.

attachicon.gifIMG_4016.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4341.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4342.JPG

Thx! By the way do you still have your box? If so did it have the pic of a heavy sixer on it, and did it say made in Hong Kong or Taiwan? Thanks for posting pics of your 2600. Edited by Carlstew123

attachicon.gifIMG_4016.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4341.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4342.JPG

It could be one of the reconditioned consoles as well. That's odd though there are Atari branded 1981 Light Sixers. I know Sears made them until that year and in 1982 4 switchers replaced them.

^^^ Marketplace forum, "Atari 2600 New in Box with Unopened PACMAN" ^^^

Make sure you have a couple hours to read and don't drink any soda when you get to where bennybingo jumped into the mix... Soda, nose, keyboard... bad combination.

Bennybingo is one hilarious dude!! What he did in the airgames thread was priceless as well!! I laughed so hard I bawled my eyes out!! :rolling:

Since the box flaps are hot-melt glued shut you might be able to easily snap them open with a butter knife. That glue may have hardened over the years to point it's barely holding anyways. Or maybe use a hairdryer. Then you can inspect everything. And it might be a good thing to inspect it too. It can then be resealed.

Or leave it be and keep guessing.

In any case, don't waste money grading this. You'll spend at least $100 in shipping and packing it properly. Good detailed photos are all you really need for yourself and any prospective buyer. If you want to seal it. Just get a clear bag with some desiccant and seal it up! No need to pay money here. You can open the bag every couple of years to let the fumes out too.

You can open the bag every couple of years to let the fumes out too.

Any minty fresh "fumes" are long dissipated. No factory shrink wrap to hold them in. Like I said earlier, the only sure fire way to know what this is light or heavy sixer, short of bribing a dentist or doctor to let you Xray the thing, is to weigh it. If anyone on this forum has sealed or CIB light and heavy 6ers with ALL documentation and inserts, AND and ACCURATE scale, please feel free to post the results. Preferably both in grams/kilos and ounces/pounds.

Edited by stardust4ever

Something that old, that very well may be the case. But the fumes outgassing from the "new bag" material itself - that will collect in there.

Ever stick your head in a Hefty Bag? Even for 5 seconds? I did to retrieve coins or something, and was immediately "overwhelmed" with VOCs and other strange chemical odors. After I did that I realized I could have just turned it inside out instead!

Any minty fresh "fumes" are long dissipated. No factory shrink wrap to hold them in. Like I said earlier, the only sure fire way to know what this is light or heavy sixer, short of bribing a dentist or doctor to let you Xray the thing, is to weigh it. If anyone on this forum has sealed or CIB light and heavy 6ers with ALL documentation and inserts, AND and ACCURATE scale, please feel free to post the results. Preferably both in grams/kilos and ounces/pounds.

That's not the only way. Ask your G.I. if you can use their camera. Stick it in the crack between the flaps and move it around. Or just use a coat hanger and probe around and feel by touch.

Maybe on of those science surplus shops have a goose neck camera small enough and you could try it out there?

ADDED:

An infrared camera would work splendidly here too. Just let it sit in a warm room for a couple of hours, then get a fan and blow cool air over the box. The box (and even internal cardboard fittings) will rapidly cool and allow the warm contents inside to "take shape" on the sensor. You could tell everything except reading the labels.

Edited by Keatah

Those are expensive cameras the one that goes in your ass has been in 100 other asses.

Yeah I try not to think about that. At least they put me out for the ordeal. The koolaid they make you drink the night before until your diarrhea turns clear is the worst part though. They also use a disposable liner I think, so the butt scope camera probe never really gets soiled.

Why are we discussing this again? :woozy:

If you're gonna use medical equipment to scan an Atari box, might as well just go full monty and do a CT scan. Nothing less invasive or more detailed. You still won't be able to read the docs inside but you'll get sub-millimeter 3D images of the little wires, chips, and PCB traces. 8)

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

Did I miss something? I was pretty sure all evidence points to it not being a Heavy. What am I missing?

There is mixed feedback, but the part that has me leaning towards my 2600 being a heavy sixer is the location where it was made. I was doing some research from my end as well, and all heavy sixers were either made in CA or Taiwan. I couldn't find any serial number information that defines what a heavy is verse a light sixer. Unless someone else has some factual data he/she can provide.

Of course I don't plan on opening this up, nor do I intend to sell it, but I agree with Stardust4ever about weighing my box compared to someone that has a CIB Light Sixer. I hope someone on here has one so I can compare.

Edited by Carlstew123

Those are expensive cameras the one that goes in your ass has been in 100 other asses.

Yeah I try not to think about that. At least they put me out for the ordeal. The koolaid they make you drink the night before until your diarrhea turns clear is the worst part though. They also use a disposable liner I think, so the butt scope camera probe never really gets soiled.

Why are we discussing this again? :woozy:

If you're gonna use medical equipment to scan an Atari box, might as well just go full monty and do a CT scan. Nothing less invasive or more detailed. You still won't be able to read the docs inside but you'll get sub-millimeter 3D images of the little wires, chips, and PCB traces. 8)

OMG these methods took a whole different direction. LOL.