IGNORED

Which game made you want to throw your controller against the wall

While I definitely got frustrated with games back in the day, it wasn't until playing Viewtiful Joe on the Gamecube that I had my first experience of wanting to do terrible things to my controller, TV and anything else nearby. Thankfully the game was awesome, so I happily put up with it.

• Like 1

Many NES games I can beat without losing a single life is Contra, Castlevania, Simon's Quest, Dracula's Curse, Legend of Zelda (both quests), Adventute of Link, Mega Man 1-6, Mario 1-3, and Ninja Turtles 2 the Arcade Game.

Holy ish! You beat Contra in single player mode?

Sounds like a lot of people has issues with NES. I think it has to do with games being "Nintendo Hard" so it wouldn't be too easy like many of the 2600 games.

Actually I rarely bother getting frustrated with most NES/Sega Genesis games - that's just how they were made back in the 80s/90s. Recent games can get annoying, but not all the time.

To this day I have still put off on Mario Kart Wii for years because of the rubberband AI.

Holy ish! You beat Contra in single player mode?

Yes. And without the Konami code either. It's not that hard once you study the patterns of the level design, where enemies are, and level boss's movements. Spread Gun and firing everywhere is the key. That's all it takes to beat the game successfully. It's hard, but not as hard as Silver Surfer, Battletoads, and Ghosts n Goblins.

• Like 1

Yes. And without the Konami code either. It's not that hard once you study the patterns of the level design, where enemies are, and level boss's movements. Spread Gun and firing everywhere is the key. That's all it takes to beat the game successfully. It's hard, but not as hard as Silver Surfer, Battletoads, and Ghosts n Goblins.

Yeah. "Contra" is easy as heck compared to the hardest NES games. But I understand why people find it frustrating without the 30 lives code. It's still "one hit you're dead", limited continues, and there are a lot of bullets flying around. I've beat it without the code, but I still tend to screw up when I get to the waterfall level and beyond. The game gets even harder if you lose the spread gun.

• Like 2

I learned after breaking things...to never to do it again. It's just too expensive (except for Madden games). :P

I did it twice:

- Ninja Gaiden Xbox (Xbox controller)...funny, after I got a new controller I mastered the game.

- One of the Madden games in the 90's, I took the disc out and threw at the wall. Shattered.

• Like 1

Sounds like a lot of people has issues with NES. I think it has to do with games being "Nintendo Hard" so it wouldn't be too easy like many of the 2600 games.

That's definitely true for me. These days I actually tend to avoid buying NES games when I can get games for other systems instead, since more often than not the difficulty level of most NES games cross that line between "challenging" and "I want to take a hammer to this game, the system, and anything else NES related I can find laying around". :lol:

It's happened to me time again, so much so that I've sold almost my entire NES library because the majority of popular games on that system really aggregate me whenever I try playing them. I've never had this problem with any game on the Atari 2600 though, and only a few times with Game Boy games, so those are the systems I tend to stick to most of the time for my 8-bit gaming fixes. I don't know if Nintendo's developers thought they were giving short NES games replay value by making half of them almost impossibly difficult to finish or what, but the difficulty level of the majority of NES games I've played has been absurd enough to give me a rather negative impression of the system as a whole. There are some titles on the NES that I do enjoy, but I'm always wary of picking up anything new for it since there's a good chance it might frustrate me to the point of wanting to do harm to the game and/or console.

Edited by Jin
  • Like 2

Yeah. "Contra" is easy as heck compared to the hardest NES games. But I understand why people find it frustrating without the 30 lives code. It's still "one hit you're dead", limited continues, and there are a lot of bullets flying around. I've beat it without the code, but I still tend to screw up when I get to the waterfall level and beyond. The game gets even harder if you lose the spread gun.

Yep I loved the spread gun, but I would always lose it somehow along the way at various levels... Still I'm impressed to beat those various NES games with one life. WOW!

I learned after breaking things...to never to do it again. It's just too expensive (except for Madden games). :P

I did it twice:

- Ninja Gaiden Xbox (Xbox controller)...funny, after I got a new controller I mastered the game.

- One of the Madden games in the 90's, I took the disc out and threw at the wall. Shattered.

LOL! Yep Madden games are the cheapest!

Oh yea I used to get pissed off playing Top Gun sometimes. Mission 2 when you would have to refuel your plane, or you would crash and burn. In the beginning I swear I would connect to that dam nozzle, but the green screen woukd always say missed connection. I beat up my console a few times out of anger because of that. Adventually I was able to do it, and the feeling of accomplishing that task felt awesome.

post-43346-0-51890000-1440851886_thumb.jpg

Edited by Carlstew123

I remember reaching world 8 for the first time in Super Mario 3. Without warpzones. Took me hours and hours.

One part was so frustrating that I jumped myself holding the controller up. Controller cable lifts the console, console falls down and resets. All the progress gone.I gaze at the TV for a while speechless, then I say "Dont mind, I'll play it next time".

I threw the controller only once, but it was in a 2 player match in NBA Live 95 (MS-DOS). I used to win by 20 points but in the end lost by 20 points.

I was frustrated with video games, but it usually ends pressing buttons furiously, never throwing the controller. But this hasnt happened for a few years now.

Edited by Petran79
  • Like 2

And his is where lies my rage against Mario 64 and the very reason why I can't stand it being "best game ever" when it's so deeply flawed.

Because Mario 64 commit the evil crime of using a 2D control scheme in an environement with ACTIVE CAMERAS FOR F****** SAKE WHYWHYWHWHWfhzlfhozglgkhgjlqhim ,

This make some parts of Mario 64 just impossible : they require you to run straight... BUT THE CAMERA TURNS WTF NINTENDO??? And I tried but there is no way to "stick" a camera into position. Results in uneccessary frustration.

Mario 64 is actually my biggest story about game frustration. And it has to do, at least partly, with the camera.

It's the second time you race Koopa the Quick. You know, you have to jump across some platforms over bottomless pits and such. Anyway, I was home alone and playing, sitting in the floor. I had been trying to beat that damn turtle for probably twenty or thirty lives. After yet another fall, I hauled off and punched a pillow that was laying on the floor next to me. Broke my hand. "Boxers fracture" the doctor called it. He saw the x-ray and immediately asked what I hit. I was ashamed that I had broken it getting mad at a video game, so I told everyone that I broke it by hitting it on a door frame while running to get a ringing phone. I eventually beat it with 120 stars (used a strategy guide) with pins sticking out of my right hand.

Then it was obviously something wrong with the controller. ;)

Another noteworthy mention. Top Gun...... Landing the f*****g plane!!

Although there were a lot of games I weren't very good at, I finally got to where I could pretty reliably land the plane. It still took more concentration than any other part of the game for me. (As a side note, there was a "What's the most frustrating enemy in a game" thread a while back. My vote was for the aircraft carrier in Top Gun. :grin: )

There were a lot of NES games that made me mad enough to throw a controller, but I don't remember any specific ones. (Possibly Castlevania...) Anyway, I do remember several times where I threw the controller at the console and hit it so that the game popped up on that ZIF thing and shut the game off.

I don't remember really getting mad or frustrated at any 2600 games, although I do remember yelling at the ducks to get out of the way in Barnstorming.

I have a broken XBox 360 controller, but I can't remember what game I broke it on.

Pitfall for the 2600. Those darn alligator heads would murder me every time. I never threw my joystick, but instead I set it on the floor and stomped on it. Naturally, the thing broke. Also naturally, my mom said, "No more video games," when she found out. Thankfully that didn't hold.

Of course now Pitfall is easy, alligator heads and all.

Nowadays nothing makes me throw anything. Nope. Err... except the "Rock Band" games. Drum sticks aren't meant to last anyway, but several have been thrown, and broken, out of frustration over the years. In one particular moment of weakness I kicked the drum controller across the room as well, scaring the hell out of one of the cats in the process. But since drums are supposed to be pounded on, I've been able to relieve most of my frustration with the game without destroying anything. I haven't broken anything on my expensive Roland electronic kit yet... and hopefully I won't!