IGNORED

Calling All 800s!

ClausB

2 hours ago, Brett said:

I have an Atari which is likely one of the very early models as "no one had it when we got it. Problem is that the sticker on the back is missing. Is there any other way to identify the model and/or serial number?

There are markings in and on the case and on the pcb's, there are sometimes stickers as well and sometimes on the cage etc.

You might provide whatever photos you can... then we'll try to sort it out... but really no way to guess until it's seen. There isn't much other than that and the chips that are in it to establish a time frame. Other clues would be tabs, keyboard type and those stickers etc. Why would that be important to you?

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Brett said:

I have an Atari which is likely one of the very early models as "no one had it when we got it. Problem is that the sticker on the back is missing. Is there any other way to identify the model and/or serial number?

9 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

provide whatever photos you can

This. Look for an imprint on the rear underside.

Attached is a photo of the stickers on the bottom of my 800 (NTSC, GTIA).  There are no other markings on the bottom.  This 800 functions perfectly and is in excellent physical condition.

Serial number (main sticker): 448559

Handwritten sticker: AW482637 followed by what looks like 4/7

Date code: 143

A800.jpg

Edited by Robert Cook
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, ClausB said:

The handwritten 947 indicates 47th week of 1979. Most of its internal boards are of later vintage thoug

That unit looks like a mush-up of parts:

1. Do not know any early units that used the black "anodized" type of case screws so early in production.
  2. The expansion-bay cover is secured in place with screws (later production) instead of rotary-tabs (earlier)
  3. Can't clearly look underside of cart. door, for a naked plastic-ceiling (later) or adhesive residue (earlier) for cart-door shield plate.
  4. That CPU board is absolutely not an earlier production as it is a "Sally" type board, as you suggested.

In short, seems like put together from several other "corpses".

However, it is a GREAT video to show the sweet (and more 'radical') 800 architecture, unique on the line-up, and one later dropped in favor of a more limited and closed model, as present on the XL / XE series.

To this day, and after tinkering for quite a long time with my 800XL workhorse, I still prefer the 800 design, anytime of the day.

Cheers!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ClausB said:

It's great that some non Atari fans are recognizing it, but he had a lot of facts wrong.

I left a comment about the 1979 label but it got removed. Wtf?

My comment was also removed. That sucked. Put some work into it and it was trying to be helpful / informative.

Also noticed the 949 label but everything else said 1983 800 with screws holding case top on, open RAM cards, chip dates, etc.. Am curious what is the case stamp date that he mentioned but didn't give a close-up image.

• Like 1

Hi, new on the forums here ? This is my 800 PAL B 48K:

Serial: 052 054884

Handwritten label: CA127602-1-5

Date stamp: 013

The number on the handwritten label matches the number found on the internals of the system.

The system is boxed and in very nice condition. When I bought it the option button was "stuck" and it was replaced. I use it quite often and it works perfectly.

IMG_2305.jpeg

IMG_1963.jpeg

IMG_2302.jpeg

IMG_1967.jpeg

Edited by martijnv
Added internals foto
  • Like 1

Adding my 800's sticker, (both views for ease), for my newly aquired PAL 800 to the list.  It now has Incognito and the ATR swap buttom light emittier mod - all of which I really enjoyed installing BTW - albeit slightly nerve wracking and also incredibly fiddly at times (header wiring and cable routing was a real challenge) :) Probably took me 4 hrs all in, start to finish. (Excluding the firmware flashing time).

Big thanks to @flashjazzcat for some hardware and firmware assistance with some questions I had during the processes, and also for his excellent videos.

Not had time to read the thread to work out how to date this from the label as yet. 

image.png.bb5c2d25da24e1090a1f68e6eafad5b9.pngimage.png.c385a8c376b06f72a4d1fed4233a8cfc.png   

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

@TGB1718 ah I see.  - nope had a good look just now - nothing like that present anywhere on the casing, not even a trace.

The date code is the three digits stamped above the s/n on your label.  The first digit isn't clear in the photo, but it looks like 29th week of 82.

9 minutes ago, tep392 said:

The date code is the three digits stamped above the s/n on your label.  The first digit isn't clear in the photo, but it looks like 29th week of 82.

@tep392   The barely ledgible stamped number, believe it or not is ... 392..which is a nice coincidence given your AA handle!  

image.png.c385a8c376b06f72a4d1fed4233a8cfc.png

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I guess I never submitted mine. My first ever seen in person Atari 800. 

I would like to change the logo badge in some point. 

Is there some kind of understanding already about the BKs or AWs meaning?  My label is a bit different in that regards: it doesn't have those codes or the "N°". Maybe Atari simplify all of that in the label in later production? 

10122021101619.jpg

10122021101525.jpg

10122021101122.jpg

Edited by manterola
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, manterola said:

Is there some kind of understanding already about the BKs or AWs meaning?  My label is a bit different in that regards: it doesn't have those codes or the "N°". Maybe Atari simplify all of that in the label in later production? 

AW is the product code for the 800/NTSC, BK for the 800U/UK PAL, and I believe CA or 052 for the 800P/PAL. 

Atari changed the format of the serial number labels a few times, the product code wasn't listed on many of the labels.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BillC said:

AW is the product code for the 800/NTSC, BK for the 800U/UK PAL, and I believe CA or 052 for the 800P/PAL. 

Atari changed the format of the serial number labels a few times, the product code wasn't listed on many of the labels.

I've created a small topic about the serial numbers on the 800:

• 4 months later...

Unfortunately much delayed, but here already once the first three from my 800'er collection.

I still have about 8 more pieces in stock, I will add them soon ?.

ATARI 800 - 316641
ATARI 800 - 380725
ATARI 800 - 405198

The first and the second one unfortunately has no stamp in the case, nor a handwritten label (guess, it´s lost after the years)

Cheers,

andY

1648473202929.JPEG

1648473193161.JPEG

1648473209372.JPEG

• Like 1