IGNORED

Thinking of getting a NES. Which is the best option

mbd30

Yeah, Battletoads has been going up. Slowly, at least, but it's going up, so snag it while you can. I'm surprised Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2 haven't really gone up at all, they are both probably still in the $10 - $15 range, loose. Then again, they were pretty popular back in the day so there are probably more copies of them floating around. There are still quite a few gems out there that are in the $5 range so don't lose all hope, haha.

In the case of Battletoads, yes, it will be easier on original hardware without the input delay/lag.

Oh I misread that, I thought your listing was for a top loader. Yeah, don't pay $100+ for a toaster lol

I thought it was too, but the "72-pin connector included" part was the giveaway. :P

I'm considering getting a dogbone for my toaster. inb4 "HEATHEN!"

I don't exactly think the NES pad is the worst thing in the world. It definitely works, but I always sort of feel like all the controller options for the NES are flawed. I wish there was some kick-butt easy to find 3rd party alternative, but there isn't.

I bought some of the Tomee dogbone replicas. They are ok, but it is easy to accidentally press down on the entire D-Pad which results in an unwanted direction being pressed. However, I think the manufacturing on those is highly variable, so YMMV.

For platformers where the direction seems to change infrequently and you don't need a lot of diagonals, I've been testing out this thing: https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=NES+Turbo+Touch+360+Controller+&FORM=HDRSC2. It works better than expected.

I like the NES Max a lot. I know people complain about the D-Pad/Disc thing but I didn't find it to terrible to get used to and the grips make the controller a lot more comfortable. It is a very good controller.

Not much to say about the regular pad. It is servicable but boxy and a bit uncomfortable. It was fine when I was a kid and my hands were smaller.

I have a Max kicking around somewhere. The trouble with that one is that I ended up using the disk around the touch area more than the touch and it really causes numbthumb for me fast. I haven't tried it in a few years though, so maybe I'll get it out and see if it is different than I remember.

Personally I like the NES Advantage arcade stick, and it's what I use for any game that could benefit from turbo fire. The fact that the turbo is adjustable lets you tune it to just the right rate of fire for any game you're playing, and the stick on it feels petty darn nice for a membrane contact stick. When turbo isn't needed though I think the regular old box shaped NES controller is perfectly fine. It's got a good d-pad, snappy responsive buttons, and a really classic aesthetic styling. Just make sure you hold it in such a way that the corners won't dig into your palms. :lol:

• Like 1

Just make sure you hold it in such a way that the corners won't dig into your palms. :lol:

THIS.

I heard so much people complaining about the pad hurting their palms and finger, and I see them WRAPPING their fingers around the upper corners, and plant the botton corners in their palms. Cheezus!

I gotta take a picture on how I do, because apparently, no one hold them like that...

• Like 1

THIS.

I heard so much people complaining about the pad hurting their palms and finger, and I see them WRAPPING their fingers around the upper corners, and plant the botton corners in their palms. Cheezus!

I gotta take a picture on how I do, because apparently, no one hold them like that...

I see that a lot too, and it was something I figured out not to do pretty quickly when I got my first NES. Just relax, cradle the controller in your hands, and let it rest over the first and middle fingers on each hand. If you try to death grip the thing like an octopus wrapping up it's prey you're going to end up with sore hands from the corners, but if you hold it a little differently you'll have a much more enjoyable gaming experience. :)

I see that a lot too, and it was something I figured out not to do pretty quickly when I got my first NES. Just relax, cradle the controller in your hands, and let it rest over the first and middle fingers on each hand. If you try to death grip the thing like an octopus wrapping up it's prey you're going to end up with sore hands from the corners, but if you hold it a little differently you'll have a much more enjoyable gaming experience. :)

Yep, totally that. Index and middle finger to support the controller, and the thumbs that both hold the controller and press buttons. And doing that you're all set for hours of play.

It isn't the corners that bother me - it is the D-Pad and the button layout. The pad stiffness results in a loss of sensation in the tip of my thumb and the buttons in a straight line have always made it difficult for me to press them both simultaneously. The Advantage is fine, but still flawed as it is really very easy to have an accidental direction press and the buttons tend to get stuck in place form time to time.

I also don't love the corners or the small size, but those are secondary.

It isn't the corners that bother me - it is the D-Pad and the button layout. The pad stiffness results in a loss of sensation in the tip of my thumb and the buttons in a straight line have always made it difficult for me to press them both simultaneously.

I also don't love the corners or the small size, but those are secondary.

As far as the D-Pad goes, that's a small price to pay for supreme accuracy.

I prefer the small size and the closeness of the buttons. Less ground to cover when I react.

As far as the D-Pad goes, that's a small price to pay for supreme accuracy.

I prefer the small size and the closeness of the buttons. Less ground to cover when I react.

Is accuracy even negotiable in a video game controller? I think the thing is functional, but it has the feel of a Version 0. That is ok because it was the first pad most of us ever saw. They quickly improved it and have doing great ever since. Even the GameBoy is an improvement and it came out only a few years later.

Is accuracy even negotiable in a video game controller? I think the thing is functional, but it has the feel of a Version 0. That is ok because it was the first pad most of us ever saw. They quickly improved it and have doing great ever since. Even the GameBoy is an improvement and it came out only a few years later.

I disagree about the feel. It's very comfortable in my hands. Part of that is familiarity, but I can play for many hours without having much of a comfort issue.

In my experience, the NES D-Pad is the tightest and most accurate for control. I own a Game Boy and Super Nintendo. While those D-Pads are more comfortable, they just aren't quite as tight.

So, yes, accuracy is negotiable for me. It's even more important to me because of the way that I play.