IGNORED

(Hardware) Project of the 'calendar quarter'

Omega-TI

Using SAMS has some challenges for a programmer. The availability issue may become smaller with initiatives like this, but there is still a huge difference between having a large contiguous memory space and having paged memory like SAMS. The most obvious use is as a 'RAM disk' (edit: by which I mean a buffer for files loaded from disk), which is what it has mostly been used for in the past. It's great that RXB has support for paged SAMS, but what would be really great is if it could use SAMS for stack space. High level languages have the possibility of adding an abstraction layer in front of the paged memory so it appears to be contiguous. This is more difficult from assembly without suffering a relatively large performance loss. I would like to write an RPG that would use SAMS for storing a huge world, but because of the challenges this have never left the idea stage.

A rasmus RPG?? +1 million!

• Like 1

OH MY GOD, you're showing a Swastika! I'm starting to feel a gentle pull towards the East, wait, I'm going to fetch some tanks ...

This tiny symbol was the reason they banned the whole game from the German market. When recently a report on TV was shown about the history of "killer video games" they said that they still must not show pictures like these. So I'm seeing this the first time. ;)

Edited by mizapf
  • Like 2

Banning a symbol, without considering the context in which it's used seems rather foolish to me. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out the Nazi's in the game are the bad guys.

I bet the censors would defecate bricks if they saw this movie trailer...

We had Inglourious Basterds in the movie theaters, and you see Nazi symbols there.

The problem is: In general, Nazi symbols are banned in Germany, and showing them or making otherwise use is forbidden by law.*

Except:

• You show the symbols in the context of a historical documentation
  • The context is visual arts

Since movies are considered art, they may show Nazi symbols. There is an ongoing discussion whether computer games are art or not. Up to now they were not considered art, so the exemption was not applicable. While many people strongly argue that it is ridiculous worst movies are called art, but the current sophisticated computer games are not, there is also a good deal of people, in particular those in the government, that deny this role to games. (Eventually this would mean that computer games are eligible to art funding, including those vicious first-person shooters. OMG!)

I don't need to say that this is utter nonsense, as many people from my generation believe, but I guess every generation and every country has its own weirdness.

* Edit: Just another hilarious thing here ... an anti-fascist campaign in Germany used a graphic illustration where a stylized person (like the ones you see on traffic signs) dumps a Swastika into a trashcan, as if it were rubbish. Even though the message was clear, the law does not differentiate the semantics how this symbol is used, so IIRC this went to court, but I don't remember the result.

Edited by mizapf

It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out the Nazi's in the game are the bad guys.

A somewhat confusing statement perhaps, as didn't some of the rocket scientists working on the Nazi "V" weapons end up in America working on their space programme? ;-) ;-)

• Like 3

A somewhat confusing statement perhaps, as didn't some of the rocket scientists working on the Nazi "V" weapons end up in America working on their space programme? icon_winking.gif icon_winking.gif

I was going to make a snarky comment about how stunts like Operation Paperclip staffed both the US technical and intelligence apparatus with "de-Nazified" Nazis, but that would be un-American and possibly mark me for special observation icon_smile.gif

• Like 1

Well, Patton wanted to absorb what was left of the Wehrmacht and keep driving east until he hit Moscow. We wargamed that a couple of times back in the day -- the consensus was that it could be done with massive loss of life, but the Cold War wouldn't have happened and Europe would have all been NATO.

Could just as well speculate what would have happened if MacArthur had given the KMT anything resembling military support, or if he'd defied Eisenhower and strip-nuked the Chinese coast. I guarantee that neither Tursi nor I would have any experience with Chinese manufacturing, that's for certain.

(not a US citizen now, but used to be. Place scares me now.)

Edit: Eisenhower was president during MacArthur's "I'm going to nuke China anyway" tantrum, not Truman. Truman probably would have approved the plan.

Edited by ckoba

Well I hear N Korea is always looking for new people. Give that a shot ?

I'm doing fine where I am, thank you very much. Or was your point something pointedly unpleasant implied with relinquishing US citizenship in favor of citizenship where one lives? If so, sir, let us end this thread now before it takes us into unpleasant waters.

Ah. Then I apologize.

Compared to the US that I left when I EAOS'ed twenty years ago, the US has (from the perspective of someone who watches from the outside) become an unpleasant place to live. I'll not say further, because it's difficult to recognize the water's boiling when you're the frog in the pot, but I personally would never consider returning (and, in fact, cannot return without about two years' worth of visa paperwork).

Compared to the US that I left when I EAOS'ed twenty years ago, the US has (from the perspective of someone who watches from the outside) become an unpleasant place to live. I'll not say further, because it's difficult to recognize the water's boiling when you're the frog in the pot, but I personally would never consider returning (and, in fact, cannot return without about two years' worth of visa paperwork).

As one of the frogs in the pot, I can't for the life of me see how this discussion has anything to do with hardware projects. The boiling water must be affecting my brain :grin:

• Like 2

I guarantee that neither Tursi nor I would have any experience with Chinese manufacturing, that's for certain.

I think I missed something... how'd I get involved here? :)

I worked with Chinese manufacturers during my time at Neato Robotics - I updated the hardware test scripts, wrote the documentation (or did I? I can't remember), and diagnosed boards that came back failed. :) Didn't end up going to the factories, though...

I think I missed something... how'd I get involved here? icon_smile.gif

I worked with Chinese manufacturers during my time at Neato Robotics - I updated the hardware test scripts, wrote the documentation (or did I? I can't remember), and diagnosed boards that came back failed. icon_smile.gif Didn't end up going to the factories, though...

Sorry, saw "PVG" and translated it as airport shorthand for "Pudong". Lots of factories out there ... and be glad you never went to any of them icon_smile.gif

Sorry, saw "PVG" and translated it as airport shorthand for "Pudong". Lots of factories out there ... and be glad you never went to any of them icon_smile.gif

Yeah, you translated correctly... more factories down in Shenzhen, as I understand it, though. :)

Yeah, you translated correctly... more factories down in Shenzhen, as I understand it, though. :)

From what I've seen, that's correct (although, counting Changshu and Suzhou, I spent more time at more factories in the greater Shanghai travel radius)... but the bigger players (Foxconn) have been building CMs out in the middle of nowhere (Taiyuan first, but also Zhengzhou and Chengdu) because even Shenzhen wages are getting too expensive. They'll do EVT/DVT/PVT with their A players in Shenzhen, and when the product hits sustaining mode it gets shuffled off to someplace in the sticks.

Last I heard, they were going to expand into India because *Chinese* wages are getting too expensive. That'll end well.

Anyway, sorry about equating you with factory ops. I see "PVG" as a location, and I think "poor engineer semi-permanently stationed at a CM".

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

ATTENTION - If you are reading this thread with the intent of performing the "Two-Chip 32k in the TI-99/4A Console" modification, do NOT use the instructions posted in Message #40. Use the updated PDF file attached to this post. It corrects one teeny tiny little typo that may leave you pulling your hair out asking, "Why isn't this working?"

med_gallery_35324_1027_13683.jpg

gallery_35324_1027_425014.jpg

TI 32k Mod Update 7-27-16.pdf

• Like 1