IGNORED

Atari seal of quality

Matthew

I have decided to introduce an "Atari seal of quality". It is in many ways similar to Nintendo's.

To insure the continued quality of homebrew releases, all new homebrew titles will be required to pay a small fee so that they can be assessed and issued with a licence.

The seal will show gamers that the games have met quality control standards in terms of basic programming and that games would be suitable for the entire family and thus free of objectionable content.

I thank you all for your continued support.

post-29570-0-86003400-1441179700.jpg

Edited by Matthew
  • Like 1

Wow, the support I have been receiving is overwhelming. Please be patient, I am a very busy person and it will take time to get back to you all.

This safeguard will ensure that all future homebrew titles will meet the quality standard we all know and love.

I have begun to pre-emptively send invoices to all homebrew authors. As I said, please be patient.

Oh no please don't, that was such a disaster with the NES, kids thought that the Nintendo Seal of Quality was about the game,.

Nintendo Seal of Quality just meant the company was a licensee and the cartridge worked with said console, it was nothing to do with the quality of the game. That was very misleading.

I spoke to a NES kid the other day, he often wondered about that. He loved games like Super Mario Bros, Zelda, Metroid and his mother always rented games from Blockbusters as a surprise. He said most of these rented games were checked out, concluded they were below quality, and put back onto the kitchen table to be returned. He said, back I went playing SMB, Metroid, Zelda ....

Edited by high voltage

I have begun to pre-emptively send invoices to all homebrew authors. As I said, please be patient.

I am really looking forward to this invoice.

BTW: Can you provide me your address list? Because I want to send out my own invoices for my 100% Assembler seal.

post-45-0-86375600-1441281220_thumb.png

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 3

Great topic Matthew! :)

In the 80's, Rainbow Magazine offered the Rainbow Seal of Approval for quality CoCo games - I had it on most of my software. Any of my games that didn't make the cut, went down to the next tier - I either sold them to another company with lower standards, or as magazine type-ins.

Once in awhile, even the lesser mags would refuse a third tier game relegating it to the final frontier - the trashcan :)

KC Munchkin has the Metal Jesus and Immortal John Hancock seal of approval (at 12:15) but you'll need real hardware without joystick and video mod's and a real Television like they used for farfegnugen:

post-30777-0-62881500-1441293326_thumb.jpg

(Only console modders and the emulator fans of Stella were disappointed to find this game breaking apart like a cheap tent in a wind storm).

I have to agree with save2600 regarding games not working on a real Atari - there was a thread with instructions to mod your heavy sixer instead, but it has to be the other way around.

• Like 1

I just wanted to thank all those that have paid their invoices, your continued support insures the future of the Atari homebrew scene.

As discussed Thomas, I am unable to provide BoulderDash with the Official Atari Quality Seal as it promotes extreme violence.

Crushing ones enemies with boulders is barbaric, surely the game can be modified so that some sort of negotiation is possible. The last thing anyone wants to see is young impressionable people crushing each other with boulders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqrREfjDS-c

I thank you for your time and support.

Edited by Matthew

As discussed Thomas, I am unable to provide BoulderDash with the Official Atari Quality Seal as it promotes extreme violence."

Speaking of which, I think there needs to be a 5th anniversery re-issue of BoulderDash. My Harmony won't support the demo. I could upgrade it I know, but If I'm gonna spend that coin, I want the whole game and the community has been very good about not releasing the full ROM.

Actually I don't care if it's for the 5th anniversary or not. I would love for this cart to be re-issued.

• 1 month later...

As discussed Thomas, I am unable to provide BoulderDash with the Official Atari Quality Seal as it promotes extreme violence.

Crushing ones enemies with boulders is barbaric, surely the game can be modified so that some sort of negotiation is possible. The last thing anyone wants to see is young impressionable people crushing each other with boulders.

The game doesn't need to be modified, only the title does. I'd suggest "Marshmallow Dash".

• Like 2