IGNORED

This Guy Seems to Want All Male Gamers to Become Gay

Random Terrain

Let's be absolutely clear what this guy is saying. Here's a key quote:

Since the earliest days of gaming, women have been portrayed as mere damsels to save or simply another object to ogle over or fantasise about. Even female uber-heroes such as Samus Arran, the utterly kickass bounty hunter from Nintendo’s 1984 Metroid series and arguably the first great gaming heroine, is eventually reduced to stripping off as a reward to the player for completing the game in under an hour.

Just so there is no miscommunication, here is the implied sexual reward for males to ogle over and fantasise about. This is what Tom Pitt finds objectionable and implies that his heroine finds objectionable.

mJgE8cL.png

That's it. The crude graphic just stands there and waves at the player. Let that sink in. This is the type of content these people find sexually aggressive and offensive. There is literaly no bar so low that their sense of offense can't limbo under it.

I won't even get into the fact that these people have to dredge up completely irrelevant games from 30+ years ago in the form of Custer's Revenge which were sold under the counter to adults only and then try to paint the picture that they were mainstream titles with broad acceptance in the industry. Of course, they resort to these arguments because they are the adolescents they rail against. Won't we please think of Anita Sarkeesian?? This plaintive cry is the new version of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHmvkRoEowc

But according to the wisdom of Tom Pitt, I'm in denial. Someone exercising critical thinking skills and dismissing these people's arguments for the nonsense that they are is in denial.

Let me know when an adult comes into the room to talk.

• Like 1

That's it. The crude graphic just stands there and waves at the player. Let that sink in. This is the type of content these people find sexually aggressive and offensive.

But that image makes me want to touch myself uncontrollably. Crudely drawn images of women in video games must wear a veil and cover everything except the hands and feet or I can't be held responsible for my actions. And I will sue the video game company for forcing me to coat my console in frothy man muck.

I think the real question is: can we make compelling games that don't require using women (or anyone in particular) as a sexualized reward for completing it? Not that those games that do don't have a place in society, but they shouldn't be all over the place to the point where one can't even play a game without sex being right in front of their faces all the time. That can get rather degrading over time when the only way you can relate to anybody in a video game is just through their physical assets while everything else that is or could have been attached to those characters is left out.

Every other game seems to be about demons and making the player walk through a blood and poo soaked landscape where your mission is to do something horrible.

And what, do you have against poo-soaked landscapes? I'm so tired of this argument. If poo is outlawed, only outlaws will have poo.

• Like 1