Shift838

PS2 Project Interest

Tursi's PS2 Adapter Board Interest?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested utilizing a PS2 keyboard with the TI-99/4A?

2. 2. Would you want to build your own PCB?

• Yes
    • No - You do it for me!
    • Not interested
  3. 3. Would you want to buy a DIY Kit that has all the components?

• Yes
    • No - I will buy the items myself
    • Not interested
  4. 4. Would you be interested to purchase a completed/Tested PCB?

This poll is to gauge interest from other TI'ers about utilizing Tursi's PS2 adapter board.

Read Omega's write up HERE

Read more HERE and see Tursi's PICs HERE

• Like 1

I have a somewhat optimized version of the PCB layout done for this--I just haven't had the time to do a test run of them yet. . .the updated layout clearly labels everything on the board, making it well-suited for a DIY project.

Frankly, as far as I'm concerned, I'd rather stick with the original hardware. Using a PS2 keyboard just destroys the retro fell of the computer and is an unnecessary bastardization of the machine. Again, my own opinion :)

• Like 2

Hi Vorticon, I understand and respect your opinion. I'd feel the same way with 1969 Camero RS! :D

"Unnecessary" and "bastardization" seem like such strong words, for something subjective. In my case I found it totally necessary, but I always keep one console 'stock', even if it makes it impractical to use.

• Like 1

I'd like to have this just as an option... TI99 remains as the original but with a connection ps2 added, so that we can use the TI99 with the original keyboard and only if you need to have the ability to connect an external keyboard.

I am all for the introduction of new hardware to keep the old faithfull relevant-BUT, If there is one thing about the 4a that I love more than any other machine-it is the keyboard, I understand that the layout is not the best but in terms of feel and quality it has no peers, there are only a handful that compare favourably with the 4a.

I would encourage everyone to try as many of the other machines of the time and rank them, if the 4a is not in your top band-you deserve to have your fingers cut off :-D

I am all for the introduction of new hardware to keep the old faithfull relevant-BUT, If there is one thing about the 4a that I love more than any other machine-it is the keyboard, I understand that the layout is not the best but in terms of feel and quality it has no peers, there are only a handful that compare favourably with the 4a.

I would encourage everyone to try as many of the other machines of the time and rank them, if the 4a is not in your top band-you deserve to have your fingers cut off :-D

This is what I like as well, the original can stay in the 4A and if you need it for some reason like pounding out Code (i type alot faster on a pc keyboard than a TI). then you have that option.

• Like 2

...if you have more than 20 consoles (and I don´t mean 21) :)

then you WANT to have one running with a PS/2-keybastardboard. definetely :D :D

• Like 3

...and why not mounting the TI-keyboard into a modern Cherry keyboardhousing, and connect it to the Ti like on a PC ? Remote, with this spiral? cable.

Nice gag, original keys/feeling, and some more space on the desktop

• Like 1

nice :) want want want :)

(interesting, in german movie it was called "flux compensator" )

is this here the 2.0-version taking dump ? :)

Hi Vorticon, I understand and respect your opinion. I'd feel the same way with 1969 Camero RS! :D

"Unnecessary" and "bastardization" seem like such strong words, for something subjective. In my case I found it totally necessary, but I always keep one console 'stock', even if it makes it impractical to use.

Now that was a car!

As for my strong words, I never miss an opportunity to flex some linguistic muscle :D

Not too sure for the real iron TI. But for the emulator I am using wireless keyboard, mouse and joysticks to use TI at a distance and on a large TV lcd screen. Benefit is that you can use it in any way how you want to use it.

• Like 1

I could not participate because there was no voting selection for already having one. Off hand I only know of two others besides myself that have one. It would be interesting to know how many others are out there.

I have to admit, since I enjoy mine so much, I was completely taken off-guard to see the percentage of people (who've voted so far) that show a complete lack of interest in this project. I'll admit though, before I installed mine I was not expecting to enjoy it as much as I have.

• Like 1

It is a very cool piece of hardware.

That said, let me say why it doesn't interest me.

I program in emulation for copy/paste, Notepad++, faster load times with Overdrive, etc. I have no desire anymore to program larger projects on hardware.

That said, I prefer to PLAY games on the real machine. I like to use the TI's keyboard and my Wico sticks for gaming. I do not see any benefit for me personally to have a PC keyboard attached to my console.

Cool hardware, just has no practical benefit for me and my TI use. I have Notepad, Classic99, Magellan, Patterns, and TI99Dir on my desktop. That is all I need to write software. Then transfer to the real console for playing or playtesting.

• Like 1

Owen, that makes perfect sense. We all have different needs and wants, and are into this hobby for many different reasons.

In my case I prefer to do as much as possible on Real Iron and mostly use emulation to test new acquisitions and online code listings before moving them over to the real deal. I can really relate to your thoughts on the matter because I have my red line too. I cannot seem to get interested in the Geneve. Sure, it runs TI software, uses a PC keyboard, but to me it's not a TI. I'm partial to that little silver console sitting on the desk. It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling to see it sitting there with all it's built-in limitations. I think half the fun for me is watching people like Gazoo, Tursi, Rasmus and so many others "WORK AROUND" those limitations and do things no one ever thought was possible.

• Like 1

I do 90% of my dev on emulation, that's why Classic99 exists. But I test on real hardware. I don't see why adding an external keyboard is any more a bastardization than plugging in a non-TI joystick, it doesn't disable the built-in keyboard. ;)

Edited by Tursi
  • Like 2

It is totally understandable that there is a feel difference when using the TI with different physical interfaces... When the TI was my only computer as a young teenager, I upgraded whatever I could. Joysticks were obvious. When I took a typing class, it was fortunate that the Rave99 PC/XT keyboard adapter was available. I had 5 years of TI keyboard experience. Now that I've set up a real system and have been playing around regularly, it is amazing how 27 years of PC keyboard training has to battle with those 5 formative years. Just as I've tried to type this post, I've hit alt-S dozens of times on my PC, and made conscious punctuation choices because my fingers appear to be dyslexic if you will. I pair program at the office, and my TI hobby is actually starting to impact my work.

I just rewatched Vectrex Roli's video review of the F18A, and had the same doubts about if it will feel like my beloved TI. He made the comment that the graphics will be crisp, clear or sharp or something (I'm not quoting him... can't find that key:) ) as clear as emulators when connected with VGA. Today, my TI is connected with a composite cable to a LCD TV, and I get all the old color bleed and week vblank issues I need to feel the 80s. :)

I don't miss the fear of damage to 5 1/4" (found it) floppies. I do miss the sound a little.

Everyone is in this hobby for different reasons, as --- Ω --- said, and it is awesome that all these options are available. You have to protect what you hold fundamental for yourself, to maintain that essence that motivates you into a hobby like this.

For me, the sights and sounds are crucial, while tactile things don't carry nearly as much weight. I'll get a pc keyboard back on my TI because it was a part of my TI history.

This thing I actually cling to the most, is black on cyan color configuration. I spent so much time in XB. That evokes the most nostalgic sense of 'home' for me. Next is those beep and honk tones.

----

Two things about the ps/2 adapter: I think I read that classic99 implements the same keyboard mapping? So, if that is the case, that is really nice, as you can still just hit fctn-9 to go back, or fctn-s for left... , correct me if I'm wrong. And has anyone found a low cost active usb-2-ps2 adapter suitable for use with a USB KVM?

• Like 3

Two things about the ps/2 adapter: I think I read that classic99 implements the same keyboard mapping? So, if that is the case, that is really nice, as you can still just hit fctn-9 to go back, or fctn-s for left... , correct me if I'm wrong.

With the PS/2 adapter you can use:

TI Key(s) PC Keys

----------------------------------------------------------------

FCTN-S ALT-S -or- BACKSPACE -or- the left arrow button

FCTN-9 ALT-9 -or- the F9 button -or- even the ESCAPE key

It comes in kind of handy! :)

• Like 1

Two things about the ps/2 adapter: I think I read that classic99 implements the same keyboard mapping? So, if that is the case, that is really nice, as you can still just hit fctn-9 to go back, or fctn-s for left... , correct me if I'm wrong. And has anyone found a low cost active usb-2-ps2 adapter suitable for use with a USB KVM?

Classic99 runs the same code as the AVR in the PS/2 adapter, yes. It just has a few tweaks to make it work with the Windows system and not interfere with the joystick emulation on the arrow keys. Even the cheat code works. ;)

I'm not aware of any USB to PS/2 adapters. I guess in theory it's not too tricky, but at the same time, AVR USB is not as hard as it was ten years ago, I could probably port the code to USB (assuming it works as well as the web pages suggest, I haven't tried it).

The only usb to ps/2 adapters that I know of (though I haven't had to research and find any in the past) are the little green ones that you plug into your older desktop or laptop that had a ps/2 port and then you could plug in a usb mouse and use it. THere may have been some versions that allowed you to use a usb keyboard, but if so I don't remember using one.

The only usb to ps/2 adapters that I know of (though I haven't had to research and find any in the past) are the little green ones that you plug into your older desktop or laptop that had a ps/2 port and then you could plug in a usb mouse and use it. THere may have been some versions that allowed you to use a usb keyboard, but if so I don't remember using one.

Those were actually only passive adapters - the mouse would detect the adapter and run PS/2 mode instead of USB.

While it would be cool to put my Model M IBM clicky keyboard to use, really have zero interest in hacking up any of my TI's. Or creating the space to place it and/or the computer somewhere. Would probably feel differently if I used the keyboard more for programming, or was a "power user", but I'm not and the TI's built in keyboard is more than just good enough. :)

Should just sell the IBM keyboard already. Aren't they worth decent coin by now? Already outfitted with a PS/2 connector if anyone's interested... (if they're not worth much, guess I'll just hang on to it)