IGNORED

RespeQt general discussion

Joey Z

yes, atari8warez's SIO2PC-USB is just an FTDI chip with special VID/PID. The drivers on his site may be too out of date to work with windows 10, but if you can make the normal FTDI drivers work, then you will probably have no issues.

That is, assuming the FTDI drivers work on windows 10.

You may be able to use the FT_PROG utility located here: http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Utilities.htm

It should be possible to De-Ray it by reprogramming the original FTDI signatures to the chip.

Hopefully, it has a true FTDI chip on it and not one of the chinese counterfeits that made the news not long ago.

As I recall, signed drivers will fail to work on those, or even worse disable the chip.

I guess he doesn't change the PID's & stuff for the Mac version. I think I saw that somewhere while reading through his support page.

Anyway, I do *NOT* want to promote Ray in any way, but he explains how to un-do his damage at the bottom of this page here: http://atari8warez.com/support.html

Why would he want to prevent Windows from getting the driver automatically, and, in the case of recent 64 bit versions, not working at all?

I believe he is an egomaniac, and has to have his own custom version of everything. He is nothing but a script kiddie. (IMHO). :)

• Like 1

Ok Im going to try another way here. I installed the Atarimax USB drivers and got my Atarimax USB drive to work with APE Trial so I know my Win10 system can utilize my device. I cant get RespeQt to see my Atarimax USB device though. It seems to want a COM port and I cant figure out what COM port my Atarimax USB device is using.

Bumping this thread for the SpartaDOS 3.2 'tdline.com' y2k issue. I found a corrected version of the program at

Boot Factory BBS files section. It works well.

http://bf.amfband.com/bffiles.html

The Y2K issue had been fixed with SpartaDOS 3.2G in 1994.

Legacy versions are not comptabile with the tdline from 3.2G.

SpartaDOS 3.2G and tdline for it had been fixed to work properly for PAL systems.

Moving this over to the new thread...

I just verified that the day/date issue is indeed present with my copy of SpartaDOS 3.2G. Today is Sunday, the line displays 'SAT'.

Nothing is wrong with APETIME.COM when used with RespeQt. TDLINE.COM program just calculates the day wrong (minus 1).

The TDLINE.COM version available at the above link will display the correct day.

post-15209-0-52769200-1441585857_thumb.jpgpost-15209-0-36345700-1441585882_thumb.jpg

Ok Im going to try another way here. I installed the Atarimax USB drivers and got my Atarimax USB drive to work with APE Trial so I know my Win10 system can utilize my device. I cant get RespeQt to see my Atarimax USB device though. It seems to want a COM port and I cant figure out what COM port my Atarimax USB device is using.

Right click on ThisPC on the Win10 desktop, get properties and select 'device manager'. Plug in your device and look for 'Ports (COM & LPT)'in the list.

One of those "should" be the correct port assigned to the device. On my XP pc, it's COM9. On my Windows 10 system, it's COM3.

You do have to manually type in the COM# port number into RespeQt tools->options. 'i.e COM3'.

You also need to set the right handshake method, probably RI (ring indicator) or CTS (clear to send) depending on what your hardware uses.

I just verified that the day/date issue is indeed present with my copy of SpartaDOS 3.2G. Today is Sunday, the line displays 'SAT'.

Nothing is wrong with APETIME.COM when used with RespeQt. TDLINE.COM program just calculates the day wrong (minus 1).

The TDLINE.COM version available at the above link will display the correct day.

attachicon.gifimage1.jpgattachicon.gifimage2.jpg

Hm, all I can say is, the original shareware distribution SD 3.2G/Gx files work correct on real hardware. I still use Aspect 0.8.8 on Win /Linux and FTDI 232R breakout boards from Sparkfun. See the images attached please:

post-18804-0-26056500-1441607770_thumb.jpgpost-18804-0-16468400-1441607783_thumb.jpgpost-18804-0-70491600-1441607830_thumb.jpgpost-18804-0-46325300-1441607858_thumb.jpgpost-18804-0-44093700-1441607877_thumb.jpg

Booted the image from original SD 3.2G/Gx share distribution as shown on above images. The only difference is that X32G.DOS and TDLINE.COM had been POKEd by me to run properly on 50 Hz systems.

Right click on ThisPC on the Win10 desktop, get properties and select 'device manager'. Plug in your device and look for 'Ports (COM & LPT)'in the list.

One of those "should" be the correct port assigned to the device. On my XP pc, it's COM9. On my Windows 10 system, it's COM3.

You do have to manually type in the COM# port number into RespeQt tools->options. 'i.e COM3'.

You also need to set the right handshake method, probably RI (ring indicator) or CTS (clear to send) depending on what your hardware uses.

Thanks for the input - I found the Atarimax Device shows up on the list as its own item. In Win10 I dont have a 'Ports' section under Device Manager. None of the Property tabs showed what COM port the Atarimax device was using, though it did say Port 8 Hub 1 - Maybe that meant COM8?. Anyhow, I tried COM1 - COM9 with RI and CTS still with no luck. It works fine with APE.

attachicon.gifimage1.jpgattachicon.gifimage2.jpg

Hm, all I can say is, the original shareware distribution SD 3.2G/Gx files work correct on real hardware. I still use Aspect 0.8.8 on Win /Linux and FTDI 232R breakout boards from Sparkfun. See the images attached please:

attachicon.gifSD1.jpgattachicon.gifSD2.jpgattachicon.gifSD3.jpgattachicon.gifSD4.jpgattachicon.gifSD5.jpg

Booted the image from original SD 3.2G/Gx share distribution as shown on above images. The only difference is that X32G.DOS and TDLINE.COM had been POKEd by me to run properly on 50 Hz systems.

Now took the time to download and test RespeQt for this issue. It is as tested earlier today with the old AspeQt version: SpartaDOS X 4.48 and SpartaDOS 3.2G/Gx do set time and date called from RespeQt properly. ASPECL.COM as well as APETIME.COM work correct on real hardware. So if this is not working properly in Altirra I'd suspect the bug is hiding somewhere else.

post-18804-0-42452900-1441639566_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the input - I found the Atarimax Device shows up on the list as its own item. In Win10 I dont have a 'Ports' section under Device Manager. None of the Property tabs showed what COM port the Atarimax device was using, though it did say Port 8 Hub 1 - Maybe that meant COM8?. Anyhow, I tried COM1 - COM9 with RI and CTS still with no luck. It works fine with APE.

And this, I think, is why the Atarimax SIO2PC USB doesn't work with RespeQt. I don't know if the Atarimax one is yet another FTDI or not, but maybe it installed the D2XX drivers instead of the VCP (virtual COM port)? It's definitely not showing up as a COM port, and that's absolutely critical to making it work with RespeQt at this time.

If it's just another FTDI chip, then it's likely the only change is a different VID/PID, but if it's a totally different device, then you're probably screwed. This is why I don't like Atarimax, because they do things like this and make the product proprietary.

Anyway, on the other hand you have the a8w SIO2PC, right? http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm <-- those are the drivers you want for the a8w SIO2PC-USB, but you'll need to edit the .inf for the different VID/PID or otherwise you need to fix the VID/PID in the a8w chip to be what it should be. This is why I suggest sloopy's SIO2PC-USB, nothing weird about it, the thing is just a normal FTDI that uses normal FTDI drivers, works on literally any system. But I know you already have the hardware now, so you're stuck with it.

attachicon.gifSD1.jpgattachicon.gifSD2.jpgattachicon.gifSD3.jpgattachicon.gifSD4.jpgattachicon.gifSD5.jpg

Ok, I figured out what's going on for those interested, as this is NOT a RespeQt issue, only a SpartaDOS 3.2g anecdote.

There is a ATR copy of 3.2g available 'around the internet' that I suspect has version 3.2f or earlier utility files bundled on the boot floppy. This is interesting in as much that some of us were using that disk, myself and DrVenkman at least.

I grabbed all the SpartaDOS disks I could find at ftp.pigwa.net tonight and found the corrected TDLINE.COM is indeed on the fte boot and utility disk for version 3.2g.

Anyone wanting SpartaDOS 3.2g disk sets can find them at this ftp.pigwa.net address: http://tinyurl.com/oxk82l6

Avoid the file 'Spartados 3.2g.ATR'. That's the one with older version utilities on it.

Hey, I'm also using a FTDI 232 breakout board from Sparkfun, great little piece of hardware! :)

• Like 1

Ok, I figured out what's going on for those interested, as this is NOT a RespeQt issue, only a SpartaDOS 3.2g anecdote.

There is a ATR copy of 3.2g available 'around the internet' that I suspect has version 3.2f or earlier utility files bundled on the boot floppy. This is interesting in as much that some of us were using that disk, myself and DrVenkman at least.

I grabbed all the SpartaDOS disks I could find at ftp.pigwa.net tonight and found the corrected TDLINE.COM is indeed on the fte boot and utility disk for version 3.2g.

Anyone wanting SpartaDOS 3.2g disk sets can find them at this ftp.pigwa.net address: http://tinyurl.com/oxk82l6

Avoid the file 'Spartados 3.2g.ATR'. That's the one with older version utilities on it.

Ehm, the shareware disk from former FTe is double-sided. A: SpartaDOS 3.2F (with its known bugs) and all utilities, B: SpartaDOS 3.2G/Gx only with those utilities that differ. Reading through the text files on that disk might brighten up minds.

The disk is available from ABBUC Public Domain Service, #0772. #0773 carries the last version of the SpartaDOS Toolkit from FTe (former ICD).

Hey, I'm also using a FTDI 232 breakout board from Sparkfun, great little piece of hardware! icon_smile.gif

Yep, they are fine. Its a pity that the tiny version fitting a SIO plug is no longer available.

Though I don't think it's a good idea to mix everything about RespeQt here in one thread I'll transfer my question because I've been asked to:

no precompiled version for linux yet, maybe never (depends if I get enough time). It's very easy to compile once you get the Qt5 libs and dev files installed.

Also please use the RespeQt general discussion thread: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/242422-respeqt-general-discussion/

Using Linux Mint just as a ready to run GUI I have no clue about such things. A portable version without any installing issues is needed. Would be nice if somebody familiar with such things could provide it.

Though I don't think it's a good idea to mix everything about RespeQt here in one thread I'll transfer my question because I've been asked to:

Using Linux Mint just as a ready to run GUI I have no clue about such things. A portable version without any installing issues is needed. Would be nice if somebody familiar with such things could provide it.

it really is as simple as googling 'How to install Qt5 development files <insert distro here>' and then following everything in compile.html in the source archive (literally ends up being 3 commands in the terminal, one 'cd <RespeQt-source-dir-here>' and then qmake then make.

Anyway, I do understand your point, but I simply don't have time right now. If anyone wants to give a try at building RespeQt statically for IA-32 and/or AMD64, and they succeed, I'll put up the release on the github page.

Also, it doesn't make any sense to post in the R2 thread, since the question does not specifically pertain to R2. My main goal here is to not clutter up the main Atari 8 bit forum with a bunch of posts about RespeQt. Perhaps it would help to have a sub-forum, if Al would set it up?

Edited by Joey Z

virtual com ports are a part of ape as of the last registered version, you would have to wait for the apedemo to be updated for the vcp support to be added to that as well

Last summer I used the APE demo version and my a8w SIO2USB device to image all my old floppy disks from back in the Ferg (*). I was running it through CrossOver/WINE on my Mac at the time. The way I handled the com port issue was to create a symlink from /dev/ttyusb-nnnnnnn (my SIO2USB device itself) to the folder where CrossOver creates all the support files it needs to run the APE software, which is ~HOME/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/apetrial.exe/dosdevices/ I named the symlink "com3." When running the APE trial, I selected "COM3" which of course points to the symlink back to where my SIO2USB device actually mounts on my Mac's filesystem. I then imaged ~90 disk sides into .atr files.

Being able to do this with RespeQt or some other truly freeware solution that runs natively in OS X would be ideal to me, but having done it already with the APE demo, it's not something I lose sleep over.

(*) If you listen to the Atari 2600 Game By Game Podcast, you know what I mean. :)

• Like 1

omg memories of using port redirection on linux to send xwindows thru the serial port and then to redirect it back again on another computer sprang into my head!

I have no idea why m$ windows makes the simplest things so darn hard! oh yeah you could purchase a port redirector blah blah but you shouldn't have to!

M$ don't forget to pay us money to 'sign' your drivers or it won't be allowed to run! unless you use a difficult workaround!

Edited by _The Doctor__

• 2 weeks later...

SIO2PC-RespeQt newbie question :dunce:

Ok I got RespeQT installed in Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon and it works like a champ, I can launch ATR files and send stuff to the printer no problem. However I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how to set-up one of the drive slots as a large MyDos partition with readable & writeable sub-directories (this would be from the Atari point of view, not from the PC). If its not too much trouble can someone either point me at a good tutorial (YouTube or otherwise), or explain it in a step by step fashion here?

I already got a MyDos4_5x.atr in Slot One for booting into DOS (works great), but I want a larger PC based drive in Slot Four to store and work on various files.

Thanks in advance for any help on this ;-)

- Michael