IGNORED

RespeQt general discussion

Joey Z

atr to atr no problem... pc mirror not so much

I was able to save and retrieve a BASIC file to the Slot One MyDos.atr, but it's allocated as a small drive like a standard floppy. I know that atr's are a disk image, so could it be a larger disk image like something that MyDos would normally be able to access such as a physical hard drive of up to 16 Megs. If so, how would I create such an image? Or is this just wishful thinking?

- Michael

Ok I got RespeQT installed in Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon and it works like a champ, I can launch ATR files and send stuff to the printer no problem. However I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how to set-up one of the drive slots as a large MyDos partition with readable & writeable sub-directories (this would be from the Atari point of view, not from the PC). If its not too much trouble can someone either point me at a good tutorial (YouTube or otherwise), or explain it in a step by step fashion here?

I already got a MyDos4_5x.atr in Slot One for booting into DOS (works great), but I want a larger PC based drive in Slot Four to store and work on various files.

Thanks in advance for any help on this ;-)

- Michael

This is taken directly from the atarimax site FAQ for doing this with APE. http://www.atarimax.com/ape/docs/DiskImageFAQ/

Since most of the work is done on the Atari side, the same process applies with APE and RespeQt. Start out with the 'DISK' menu on RespeQt and select New Disk Image-->Custom.

RespeQt will create the blank image for you. You will use the Atari hardware and DOS to do the the actual formatting.

Select 65535 sectors, double density. This will create a 16 megabyte Atari hard disk image. MAKE SURE you have 16MB of free space on the PC to create the new ATR file.

How do I format and write DOS to a big hard disk image?

MyDOS 4.X:

1. Load the new blank hard disk image into drive 2.

2. Use the 'O' option on the Atari to configure drive 2.

3. Enter drive 2 as the drive to configure.

4. Answer no (N) to the question 'Remove Drive'.

5. Answer yes (Y) to the question 'Is Drive Configurable'.

6. Answer yes (Y) to the question 'High Capacity Drive'.

7. Enter the exact number of sectors in the disk image and press return. In the example above this number would be 65535.

8. Use the 'I' command to format the hard disk image.

9. Use the 'H' option to write DOS files to the hard disk image. You can now boot DOS from this image and use it as a hard disk.

The FAQ linked above is a good general guide for working with ATR disk images and contains details on doing the same thing with SpartaDOS.

Once you have your disk image created and setup, you are free to rename it and move it to any slot you like, number 4 or otherwise. I sometimes boot from a 16mb formatted MyDos image. I have created other 16mb images exclusively for word processing documents, pictures or games.

Edited by RodLightning
  • Like 2

SIO2PC-RespeQt newbie question :dunce:

Ok I got RespeQT installed in Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon and it works like a champ, I can launch ATR files and send stuff to the printer no problem. However I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how to set-up one of the drive slots as a large MyDos partition with readable & writeable sub-directories (this would be from the Atari point of view, not from the PC). If its not too much trouble can someone either point me at a good tutorial (YouTube or otherwise), or explain it in a step by step fashion here?

I already got a MyDos4_5x.atr in Slot One for booting into DOS (works great), but I want a larger PC based drive in Slot Four to store and work on various files.

Thanks in advance for any help on this ;-)

- Michael

I think maybe what you're looking for is the 'mount a folder image to Dx' button? RespeQt supports DOS 2.x format for folder images, which should be MyDOS compatible.

Ah, currently folder image support is read-only. I'll add write support to the todo list.

Edited by Joey Z
  • Like 3

This is taken directly from the atarimax site FAQ for doing this with APE. http://www.atarimax.com/ape/docs/DiskImageFAQ/

Since most of the work is done on the Atari side, the same process applies with APE and RespeQt. Start out with the 'DISK' menu on RespeQt and select New Disk Image-->Custom.

RespeQt will create the blank image for you. You will use the Atari hardware and DOS to do the the actual formatting.

The FAQ linked above is a good general guide for working with ATR disk images and contains details on doing the same thing with SpartaDOS.

Once you have your disk image created and setup, you are free to rename it and move it to any slot you like, number 4 or otherwise. I sometimes boot from a 16mb formatted MyDos image. I have created other 16mb images exclusively for word processing documents, pictures or games.

Yep that would appear to be a working solution to what I am after, and I like the idea of setting up several boot-able versions dedicated to specific tasks. Thank you RodLightning for finding and sharing this information.

@ mytekcontrols

attachicon.gifBlank(sdx)(mydos).zip

a zip file with both sdx 16mb and MyDos blank 16mb atr.

And this makes it even easier by you providing 16 Mb formatted atr's. Thank you rdea6 for doing this.

I think maybe what you're looking for is the 'mount a folder image to Dx' button? RespeQt supports DOS 2.x format for folder images, which should be MyDOS compatible.

Ah, currently folder image support is read-only. I'll add write support to the todo list.

Hi Joey, yes that was the problem I was running into, not being able to write to those folders. Adding write support would be terrific, and really make this feature much more complete. BTW, thanks for taking on this project and seeing that it continues to be improved.

- Michael

• Like 1

The ultimate would be to read and write using Sparta file system to PC-Mirror.

Once again please excuse my ignorance, but I am still coming up to speed on all of this. So if I understand this correctly, a PC-mirror means that both the Atari or the PC, can write to, copy, or move files that are stored in a PC folder? If this is correct, then this would be the ultimate way to handle things, since I presume that the PC (Windows, Linux, or MAC) could use its built-in explorer to manipulate files.

Currently this is only an APE ability?

Also wondering if it is currently possible to use something like BobTerm to somehow tie into Gmail (or other email client) via RespeQt? Would this be something like an R: device bridge to the internet? Because out of all the possible uses for such a bridge, email really makes the most sense due to its mainly text oriented aspect. Browsing the internet not so much, since it relies heavily on javascript support, html5 video or flash, and high resolution color graphics.

- Michael

So if I understand this correctly, a PC-mirror means that both the Atari or the PC, can write to, copy, or move files that are stored in a PC folder? If this is correct, then this would be the ultimate way to handle things, since I presume that the PC (Windows, Linux, or MAC) could use its built-in explorer to manipulate files.

That's the idea, but in practice it's quite complicated to handle writes from the A8 end of things. DOS 2.5, MyDOS, etc, use quite predictable sector write strategies, so it's possible for APE to intuit a sector write's intended purpose and react accordingly. Quite a lot of people are using SpartaDOS X nowadays, however, and access DOS 2.x and MyDOS volumes via the ATARIDOS.SYS driver. Now, SDX doesn't write sectors in quite such a predictable fashion (since it employs an efficient caching system), even when writing to older file systems. If the directory, for example, happened to be modified last (after the last data sector of a file was written), it would be challenging to interpret the data stream as the creation of a new file.

I suspect a nice arrangement down the line would be raw r/w access to a 32MB FAT volume on the PC, using a file system driver on the A8. SDX already has a read-only FAT16 driver, and once that has write capability, read/write transfers between the PC and the Atari will be quite simple.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 2

I encounter something odd when booting from a MyDos 4.53-4.atr and also similar stuff on other DOS variants. here is the log showing what happens...

[Disk 1] Mounted 'MyDos Work Drive1.atr' as '65535 sector DD HardDrive (16383k)'."
Serial port speed set to 19200."
Emulation started through standard serial port backend on '/dev/ttyUSB0' with DSR handshaking."

[Disk 1] Get status."
[Disk 1] Read sector 1 (128 bytes)."
[Disk 1] Read sector 2 (128 bytes)."
[Disk 1] Read sector 3 (128 bytes)."
[Disk 1] Read sector 4 (256 bytes)."
[Disk 1] Read sector 5 (256 bytes)."
[Disk 1] Read sector 6 (256 bytes)."
[Disk 1] Read sector 7 (256 bytes)."
[Disk 1] Read sector 8 (256 bytes)."
[Disk 1] Read sector 9 (256 bytes)."
[Disk 1] Read sector 10 (256 bytes)."
[Disk 1] Read sector 11 (256 bytes)."
[Disk 1] Read sector 12 (256 bytes)."
[Disk 1] Read sector 13 (256 bytes)."
[Disk 1] Read sector 14 (256 bytes)."
[Disk 1] Read sector 15 (256 bytes)."
[Disk 1] Read sector 16 (256 bytes)."
[Disk 1] Read sector 17 (256 bytes)."
[Disk 1] Read sector 18 (256 bytes)."
[Disk 1] Read sector 19 (256 bytes)."
[Disk 1] Read sector 20 (256 bytes)."
[Disk 1] Read sector 21 (256 bytes)."
[Disk 8] command: $53, aux: $0015 ignored." [x28]
[Disk 7] command: $53, aux: $0015 ignored." [x28]
[Disk 6] command: $53, aux: $0015 ignored." [x28]
[Disk 5] command: $53, aux: $0015 ignored." [x28]
[Disk 4] command: $53, aux: $0015 ignored." [x28]
[Disk 3] command: $53, aux: $0015 ignored." [x28]
[Disk 2] command: $53, aux: $0015 ignored." [x28]

[Disk 1] Get status."
[Disk 1] Get status."
[Disk 1] Read sector 361 (256 bytes)."
[Device $4f] command: $40, aux: $4f4f ignored." [x28]
[Device $4f] command: $40, aux: $0000 ignored." [x28]

[Disk 1] Get status."
[Disk 1] Read sector 22 (256 bytes)."
[Disk 1] Read sector 23 (256 bytes)."
[Disk 1] Read sector 24 (256 bytes)."
[Disk 1] Read sector 25 (256 bytes)."
[Disk 1] Read sector 26 (256 bytes)."
[Disk 1] Read sector 27 (256 bytes)."
[Disk 1] Read sector 28 (256 bytes)."
[Disk 1] Read sector 29 (256 bytes)."
[Disk 1] Read sector 30 (256 bytes)."
[Disk 1] Read sector 31 (256 bytes)."
[Disk 1] Read sector 32 (256 bytes)."
[Disk 1] Read sector 33 (256 bytes)."
[Disk 1] Read sector 34 (256 bytes)."
[Disk 1] Read sector 35 (256 bytes)."
[Disk 1] Read sector 36 (256 bytes)."
[Disk 1] Read sector 37 (256 bytes)."
[Disk 1] Read sector 38 (256 bytes)."
[Disk 1] Read sector 39 (256 bytes)."
[Disk 1] Read sector 40 (256 bytes)."
[Disk 1] Read sector 41 (256 bytes)."
[Disk 1] Read sector 42 (256 bytes)."
[Disk 1] Read sector 43 (256 bytes)."
[Disk 1] Read sector 44 (256 bytes)."
[Disk 1] Read sector 45 (256 bytes)."
[Disk 1] Read sector 46 (256 bytes)."
[Disk 1] Read sector 47 (256 bytes)."
[Disk 1] Read sector 48 (256 bytes)."
[Disk 1] Get status."
[Disk 1] Read sector 360 (256 bytes)."

Pretty strange stuff, and the funny part is that the DOS seems to work fine after completion of the load.

Should I be concerned?

- Michael

The ultimate would be to read and write using Sparta file system to PC-Mirror.

It's on the todo list.

Yep that would appear to be a working solution to what I am after, and I like the idea of setting up several boot-able versions dedicated to specific tasks. Thank you RodLightning for finding and sharing this information.

And this makes it even easier by you providing 16 Mb formatted atr's. Thank you rdea6 for doing this.

Hi Joey, yes that was the problem I was running into, not being able to write to those folders. Adding write support would be terrific, and really make this feature much more complete. BTW, thanks for taking on this project and seeing that it continues to be improved.

- Michael

No problem, the todo list is ever growing though. I'd really appreciate any help people can provide in terms of implementing features or fixing bugs.

Once again please excuse my ignorance, but I am still coming up to speed on all of this. So if I understand this correctly, a PC-mirror means that both the Atari or the PC, can write to, copy, or move files that are stored in a PC folder? If this is correct, then this would be the ultimate way to handle things, since I presume that the PC (Windows, Linux, or MAC) could use its built-in explorer to manipulate files.

Currently this is only an APE ability?

Also wondering if it is currently possible to use something like BobTerm to somehow tie into Gmail (or other email client) via RespeQt? Would this be something like an R: device bridge to the internet? Because out of all the possible uses for such a bridge, email really makes the most sense due to its mainly text oriented aspect. Browsing the internet not so much, since it relies heavily on javascript support, html5 video or flash, and high resolution color graphics.

- Michael

PC-mirror is read only for now, and yes it's basically what you have described. As far as R: stuff, I'm working on getting telnet going, but we're constrained by my free time (or lack thereof).

I encounter something odd when booting from a MyDos 4.53-4.atr and also similar stuff on other DOS variants. here is the log showing what happens...

[Disk 1] Mounted 'MyDos Work Drive1.atr' as '65535 sector DD HardDrive (16383k)'."

Serial port speed set to 19200."

Emulation started through standard serial port backend on '/dev/ttyUSB0' with DSR handshaking."

[Disk 1] Get status."

[Disk 1] Read sector 2 (128 bytes)."

[Disk 1] Read sector 3 (128 bytes)."

[Disk 1] Read sector 4 (256 bytes)."

[Disk 1] Read sector 5 (256 bytes)."

[Disk 1] Read sector 6 (256 bytes)."

[Disk 1] Read sector 7 (256 bytes)."

[Disk 1] Read sector 8 (256 bytes)."

[Disk 1] Read sector 9 (256 bytes)."

[Disk 1] Read sector 10 (256 bytes)."

[Disk 1] Read sector 11 (256 bytes)."

[Disk 1] Read sector 12 (256 bytes)."

[Disk 1] Read sector 13 (256 bytes)."

[Disk 1] Read sector 14 (256 bytes)."

[Disk 1] Read sector 15 (256 bytes)."

[Disk 1] Read sector 16 (256 bytes)."

[Disk 1] Read sector 17 (256 bytes)."

[Disk 1] Read sector 18 (256 bytes)."

[Disk 1] Read sector 19 (256 bytes)."

[Disk 1] Read sector 20 (256 bytes)."

[Disk 1] Read sector 21 (256 bytes)."

[Disk 8] command: $53, aux: $0015 ignored." [x28]

[Disk 7] command: $53, aux: $0015 ignored." [x28]

[Disk 6] command: $53, aux: $0015 ignored." [x28]

[Disk 5] command: $53, aux: $0015 ignored." [x28]

[Disk 4] command: $53, aux: $0015 ignored." [x28]

[Disk 3] command: $53, aux: $0015 ignored." [x28]

[Disk 2] command: $53, aux: $0015 ignored." [x28]

[Disk 1] Get status."

[Disk 1] Get status."

[Device $4f] command: $40, aux: $4f4f ignored." [x28]

[Device $4f] command: $40, aux: $0000 ignored." [x28]

[Disk 1] Get status."

[Disk 1] Read sector 22 (256 bytes)."

[Disk 1] Read sector 23 (256 bytes)."

[Disk 1] Read sector 24 (256 bytes)."

[Disk 1] Read sector 25 (256 bytes)."

[Disk 1] Read sector 26 (256 bytes)."

[Disk 1] Read sector 27 (256 bytes)."

[Disk 1] Read sector 28 (256 bytes)."

[Disk 1] Read sector 29 (256 bytes)."

[Disk 1] Read sector 30 (256 bytes)."

[Disk 1] Read sector 31 (256 bytes)."

[Disk 1] Read sector 32 (256 bytes)."

[Disk 1] Read sector 33 (256 bytes)."

[Disk 1] Read sector 34 (256 bytes)."

[Disk 1] Read sector 35 (256 bytes)."

[Disk 1] Read sector 36 (256 bytes)."

[Disk 1] Read sector 37 (256 bytes)."

[Disk 1] Read sector 38 (256 bytes)."

[Disk 1] Read sector 39 (256 bytes)."

[Disk 1] Read sector 40 (256 bytes)."

[Disk 1] Read sector 41 (256 bytes)."

[Disk 1] Read sector 42 (256 bytes)."

[Disk 1] Read sector 43 (256 bytes)."

[Disk 1] Read sector 44 (256 bytes)."

[Disk 1] Read sector 45 (256 bytes)."

[Disk 1] Read sector 46 (256 bytes)."

[Disk 1] Read sector 47 (256 bytes)."

[Disk 1] Read sector 48 (256 bytes)."

[Disk 1] Get status."

[Disk 1] Read sector 360 (256 bytes)."

Pretty strange stuff, and the funny part is that the DOS seems to work fine after completion of the load.

Should I be concerned?

- Michael

perfectly normal, the first part is DOS polling other disk drives, and getting no response from RespeQt as there is no image mounted in the drives being polled. The second group is the OS doing a POLL for other devices to load their handlers, if present on the SIO bus. Again, as RespeQt does not currently support any of these devices, it's not responding, which is the correct behavior. Nothing to worry about at all.

• Like 2

Hi Joey and Jon,

Thank you for all the great explanations to my inquiries. I wish I could help you with the code changes, but this is currently way outside of my scope as far as programming experience is involved. As for the features I talked about, since I have a work around thanks to rdea6's 16 Mb atr images, and I just discovered the built-in explorer of RespeQt, that pretty much satisfies my current needs nicely. The R thing would be extra fluff on an already great program, and although nice, certainly not a deal breaker for me.

Thank you,

- Michael

BTW for those that might be interested, the version of RespeQt that I used in Linux Mint 17.2 was the Debian 64-bit build available -here- in the RespeQt GitHub Repository. Can't say it would work out-of-the-box without dependencies, since I had already installed QT5 from the Software Manager before running this build. However with that said, the step-by-step worst case scenario to get this running under Linux Mint 17.2 would be...

1. Download RespeQt_r2_debian.8.2_x86_64.tar.gz
  2. Extract the files, and place the extracted RespecQt folder wherever you want it (my home folder worked well for me)
  3. Run RespecQt from that folder
  4. If you see any errors relating to missing dependencies, close the program, go to the Software Manager, do a search for QT5 and install it
  5. That should do it, now just go to Tools>Options to set-up your SIO2PC device (for SIO2PC-USB set port to: /dev/ttyUSB0)

If you are using an SIO2PC-USB such as the one made by Sloopy or Lotharek then its likely that you will also need to add yourself to the dialout group by going to the Linux terminal and entering the following line (replace $USER with your username and when requested, enter your password). You'll need to log-out and back in to have the changes take effect.

sudo usermod -a -G dialout $USER

If you want a desktop shortcut (launcher) create a text file on your desktop (see below) using either notepad or gedit giving it the name RespeQt.desktop (replace "username" with your own, and adjust the paths to match your setup).

[Desktop Entry]
Version=2
Name=RespeQt
Comment=Atari Disk Emulator
Exec=/home/username/RespeQt/RespeQt
Icon=/home/username/RespeQt/main-icon/RespeQt.png
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Accessories;

Note: Not sure about Sloopy's device but the Lotharek SIO2PC-USB also requires that the handshake method be specified as DSR.

- Michael

Edited by mytekcontrols

That's a good reference. Aside from the sector size considerations, few people run the OS from FAT these days, so checking that the target volume isn't NTFS, HFS+, etc, should provide an extra level of safety. VHDs would be a good idea too, although in practice it's difficult to get concurrent access since Windows appears to like exclusive access to a mounted image.

Thanks for this wonderful piece of software. Note that I currently don't have a SIO2PC USB yet, I've just recently acquired an Atari 800 (NTSC) again with a 810 drive, I've been using Atari 8-bit (PAL) computers "back home" since 1984.

Just a quick question; for win32 which would currently be the better one to use (for PC to Atari only, not the reverse): AspeQt preview 7 or RespeQt v2? I checked the thread and it's all about Mac OS X and win32 seems to be a little ignored.

As well, will there be a feature request thread? I'd like to see --if at al technically possible, and far out into the future-- VAPI support, so you can use .atx images, and --again if technically possible, and of course taking the Mega Speedy route for the ROMs-- enhanced drive emulation, so you can for instance use disk images created by the Happy Compactor, or use Happy copier that checks if you have an enhanced drive. So for instance you can have your real Happy 1050 as D1 and the emulated Happy 1050 as D2 and copy back and forth, allowing you to have your backups on your PC. To make sure, it's not about the speed but about the enhanced functions that allow archiving of original Atari disks.

Thanks for this wonderful piece of software. Note that I currently don't have a SIO2PC USB yet, I've just recently acquired an Atari 800 (NTSC) again with a 810 drive, I've been using Atari 8-bit (PAL) computers "back home" since 1984.

Just a quick question; for win32 which would currently be the better one to use (for PC to Atari only, not the reverse): AspeQt preview 7 or RespeQt v2? I checked the thread and it's all about Mac OS X and win32 seems to be a little ignored.

As well, will there be a feature request thread? I'd like to see --if at al technically possible, and far out into the future-- VAPI support, so you can use .atx images, and --again if technically possible, and of course taking the Mega Speedy route for the ROMs-- enhanced drive emulation, so you can for instance use disk images created by the Happy Compactor, or use Happy copier that checks if you have an enhanced drive. So for instance you can have your real Happy 1050 as D1 and the emulated Happy 1050 as D2 and copy back and forth, allowing you to have your backups on your PC. To make sure, it's not about the speed but about the enhanced functions that allow archiving of original Atari disks.

you can start a new thread for any feature requests you have. Keep in mind, I have limited time to work on this though, and it could be quite awhile before a feature gets worked on.

As far as which version to use, RespeQt r2 is the most up to date. r2 contains support for the ApeTime protocol. I don't believe I've made any changes to the actual program which affect the windows version yet, other than that, but there's no reason *not* to use the latest version (RespeQt r2)

it really is as simple as googling 'How to install Qt5 development files <insert distro here>' and then following everything in compile.html in the source archive (literally ends up being 3 commands in the terminal, one 'cd <RespeQt-source-dir-here>' and then qmake then make.

Anyway, I do understand your point, but I simply don't have time right now. If anyone wants to give a try at building RespeQt statically for IA-32 and/or AMD64, and they succeed, I'll put up the release on the github page.

Thank you AtariXLE for providing the linux versions. The 64 version is running fine without the hickups we had with the AspeQt versions. Thanks, absolutely great, it helps to leave the Win platform. ;-)

Also using Linux Mint 17.2 64-bit and the RespeQt version compiled by AtariXLE. But being a driver and no mechanic I found it pretty easy to set it up directly from the very nice desktop provided with Mint.

If you want a desktop shortcut (launcher) create a text file on your desktop (see below) using either notepad or gedit giving it the name RespeQt.desktop (replace "username" with your own, and adjust the paths to match your setup).

[Desktop Entry]
Version=2
Name=RespeQt
Comment=Atari Disk Emulator
Exec=/home/username/RespeQt/RespeQt
Icon=/home/username/RespeQt/main-icon/RespeQt.png
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Accessories;

Actually, this is much easier to do. Just do a right click on an empty desktop spot and choose the respective option to create a desktop shortcut. Follow the guidance - done. Should be easy for "drivers" migrating from Win. This way it can also be placed in the menu.

Note: Not sure about Sloopy's device but the Lotharek SIO2PC-USB also requires that the handshake method be specified as DSR.

Tested all 3 options dsr, ri, and cts with the breakout boards from sparkfun. Works fine.
  • Like 2

for this I had to create a .deb file containing RespeQt and the additional information about the needed QT-files, and the Desktop/Startmenu Icon.

Unfortunatelly I don't know how to do that.

Some years ago, it was possible to extract > modify > pack a deb file (using this way I was able to install a newer version of wine on debian 6). Nowerdays this doesn't work anymore (at least for me).

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some confirmation here: AspeQT DOES NOT work with the atarimax SIO to USB adapter ONLY with the serial adapter version, correct?

I believe that the Atarimax SIO to PC USB version does not appear as a normal USB serial adapter to the PC. Since this is the case, it does not work with RespeQt or AspeQt, or anything other than the AtariMax APE software.

If you require a USB version, I recommend you order one from Lotharek if you are in Europe, or from a user here, Sloopy, if you are in North America. On the other hand, you can use serial versions with an FTDI USB to serial converter, or you can build your own out of a FTDI USB to TTL-level serial converter, if you are handy with a soldering iron. Beware of fake FTDI chips. They can work totally fine (or not), but the issue is that FTDI drivers on windows are designed to 'brick' the fake chips. If it seems too cheap to be true, then it probably is.

Edited by Joey Z