IGNORED

RespeQt general discussion

Joey Z

3 hours ago, Tempest said:

I've never been able to get it to work with Ubuntu it now Manjaro.  I'll try the above instructions and see though.  I think it can't see my serial or USB ports for some reason.

Maybe something about the default permissions for the /dev/ttyUSB device or something? Have you verified your device appears there when you plug it into the computer? 

6 hours ago, Tempest said:

Not through Linux, but my serial card works just fine in Windows.  I've given ttyS0 all needed permissions and added myself to dialout and the Arch version of dialout group.

Hmm ... if you have a terminal window open showing the contents of your /dev directory, does a new entry appear when you plug in your SIO2PC-USB device? 

28 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Hmm ... if you have a terminal window open showing the contents of your /dev directory, does a new entry appear when you plug in your SIO2PC-USB device? 

I'm not a Linux expert, exactly where should I look and what should I look for?

From a terminal window, just keep climbing up out of your home directory until you get to the system root directory. So type 'cd..' without the single quotes. At each level up, type, 'ls' (also without the quotes). That will show the files and folders as climb up. Where exactly your home directory is located on the file system and how deep into the root folder it is will vary from distro to distro. 

Anyway, when you get to the root level, you're 'ls' command will show you any number of subdirectories (folders). When you see one called dev, type 'cd dev' and then 'ls' to see the contents. In Linux, everything in the computer is basically treated by the OS as a file to manipulate, including hardware devices. The dev directory will everything the system thinks it has access to. So do the 'ls' command before you plug in the SIO2PC-USB device and see what's listed, and then again afterward - you should see a new entry if the hardware is working and recognized by the PC.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Just got a Lotharek USB2SIO adapter and hooked it up and am using Respeqt.  It seems to work ok mounting disks and carts and loading/running them just fine.  My question is, I have a 1050 physical drive also hooked up to the 800XL.  How do I get Respeqt to recognize the physical 1050 drive as drive #2?  It does not seem to see it when everything is turned on.  Also, can I copy files and/or images from the PC in Respeqt to make new physical floppy disks in the 1050 drive once it is recognized by Respeqt?  The only Atari DOS version I have here on floppy is v3.0, so hopefully that is not an issue?  Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, YSG2020 said:

Just got a Lotharek USB2SIO adapter and hooked it up and am using Respeqt.  It seems to work ok mounting disks and carts and loading/running them just fine.  My question is, I have a 1050 physical drive also hooked up to the 800XL.  How do I get Respeqt to recognize the physical 1050 drive as drive #2?  It does not seem to see it when everything is turned on.  Also, can I copy files and/or images from the PC in Respeqt to make new physical floppy disks in the 1050 drive once it is recognized by Respeqt?  The only Atari DOS version I have here on floppy is v3.0, so hopefully that is not an issue?  Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

To make the 1050 Drive 2, use the drive select switches on the back. It looks like one switch, but there is a black and a white switch stacked together. Here is a key:

290584007_ScreenShot2020-02-11at6_25_48PM.thumb.png.55af3186471f0bdb14a7d016f2f49c61.png

Yes, you can create real disks. And you aren't limited to DOS you have on floppy. You can download any DOS you want and boot from it using the USB2SIO. Once booted, put a disk in the real drive, format it and write DOS to it. (Or whatever else you want.)

• Like 1

Wow, I never realized there are drive select switches on the back of my drive and I've had it since 1983.  LOL.  If I set my 1050 switches to drive #2, will Respeqt automatically see it as drive2 daisychained on the SIO with the USB2SIO also hooked up?  So I'd then use Drive#1 in Respeqt to move files back and forth between the two drives using DOS?

Respeqt is acting as (one ore more) disk drives. In the Atari world, disk drives don't see each other. The computer sees them. When data is copied from one drive to another, the computer tells Drive 1, read byte and then tells drive 2 to write the byte that it just read. 

Since the Atari is doing all the work, and Respeqt just looks like drives, the Atari will copy from one to the other as if they were real drives.

Short answer: Yes, respeqt can be drive 1, the 1050 can be drive 2 and you can move files back and forth in either direction.

Strange.  I tried using my 1050 as Drive1 and Respeqt as Drive2 and Respeqt did not see the 1050 in any way connected.  How do I get Respeqt to connect to the 1050 and 'see' it as a drive number?   I tried using DOS to Duplicate a disk from an image mounted in Drive2 Respeqt using the drive numbers D1: and D2: in DOS and it gave me an error message saying device not recognized.  So I'm assuming the Atari computer and DOS are not connected to Respeqt properly.  Which is odd because I can load and run disk images and carts from Respect to the Atari no problem.  What's going on?  Could there be a problem with my SIO ports or cable, or DOS version, formatting, or am I just doing something wrong? Thx.

Edited by YSG2020

14 minutes ago, YSG2020 said:

Strange.  I tried using my 1050 as Drive1 and Respeqt as Drive2 and Respeqt did not see the 1050 in any way connected.  How do I get Respeqt to connect to the 1050 and 'see' it as a drive number?   I tried using DOS to Duplicate a disk from an image mounted in Drive2 Respeqt using the drive numbers D1: and D2: in DOS and it gave me an error message saying device not recognized.  So I'm assuming the Atari computer and DOS are not connected to Respeqt properly.  Which is odd because I can load and run disk images and carts from Respect to the Atari no problem.  What's going on?  Could there be a problem with my SIO ports or cable, or DOS version, formatting, or am I just doing something wrong? Thx.

You've got a lot going on here. Let's break it down a bit, step by step.

We've established that your Atari can "see" your RespeQt virtual drives when connected via your SIO2PC device. So that's the first step.  Now, first question: are you 100% sure your drive select switches are set properly? And have you cleaned them with electrical contact cleaner? If you haven't moved them in 37 years, it's quite possible they've oxidized a bit and your drive might not be properly ID'ing itself as D2:

Once you've verified the above, do the following: put a DOS ATR into the D1: slot in RespeQt and boot your Atari. With the DOS of you choice booted and ready, put a known-good, DOS formatted disk into your 1050 with it set to D2: Verify that you have nothing loaded into the D2: slot in RespeQt. Now from the Atari try to access the floppy in your 1050. Read a directory, load a file, whatever. If things are setup correctly and your 1050 drive select switches are set correctly, you should have no trouble.

• Like 2

OK.. Making progress.  Got it to work with the 1050 on drive D2:  :)  I can read the file directory, etc. on D2: on the 1050 , with Atari DOS3.0.atr loaded in D1: on Respeqt, but when I try to copy or duplicate another .atr or .atx  file or disk image from D1: (respeqt) , to the 1050 D2: I get an "Error 176 Format Incompatible" dos error and cannot proceed.   Also, if I mount something in D3: for example in Respeqt, Atari DOS3.0 cannot read this drive # and I get a drive number error.  Is my DOS version 3.0 possibly the problem here?  Should I use a newer one that perhaps supports more drives and different formatting?  Is that possibly the problem here?

Edited by YSG2020

Maybe a dumb question, but is there a 'universal' DOS that will read and write all DOS version formats so I can copy disks using Respeqt?  Also, will Respeqt and/or DOS copy ATR/ATX disk images back to floppy disk, or do I have to format these files first somehow before they will write to a floppy?  Obviously I'll have to reformat the disk in the 1050 drive to the correct DOS version format too I'm guessing before I do any copying?

Not really. DOS 3 never really caught on, so I doubt there is much out there that is compatible with it.

I was always partial to myDos. It will likely read any .ATR you mount in Respeqt, but if the disk is a double-density disk, the 1050 will not be able to write it.

.atx files have copy protection built into them, so if they even work with Respeqt, you will not be able to use them when written to the 1050.

But, really for copying like this, you probaby don't want to use DOS. Better to use a disk copy program.

Here are some disk copy programs:

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, toddtmw said:

.atx files have copy protection built into them, so if they even work with Respeqt, you will not be able to use them when written to the 1050.

This is true with a stock 1050 but not with a modified 1050 (Happy / Super Archiver).

RespeQt 4.3 supports emulation of ATX protection so you can boot an ATX on your Atari and play your game.

But it also allows you to read protected disks from a real drive to create an ATX on RespeQt.

And the other way: create a real protected disk from an ATX mounted in RespeQt.

To read or create a protected disk, you must have a 810 or 1050 with the Chip/Super Archiver or Happy because a stock 1050 won't be able to read or write a protected disk.

And depending on the 1050 mod you have, some protections can not be read or written. For example you can not generate fuzzy sector with Happy.

So to be clear, if your drive with Super Archiver or Happy can copy the real protected disk, then it can also create the same disk from an ATX using RespeQt.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

hi all, first post on AA..

I've unboxed all my 8-bit Atari stuff recently, and have RespecQT 5.3 running on my Ubuntu machine

with a SIDE2 and SIO2USB from Lotharek.

I see the option for atarisio0 in the RespecQT options. TTYUSB0 is working right now, but I have to wonder what

special goodness one gets from atarisio?

And, where does one find atarisio?

thanks!

Steve

4 hours ago, svhovater said:

I see the option for atarisio0 in the RespecQT options. TTYUSB0 is working right now, but I have to wonder what

special goodness one gets from atarisio?

/dev/atarisio0 is for using 16550/16C950 UARTs (on-board or on PCI/PCIe) with the AtariSIO kernel driver. If you are using a USB SIO2PC adapter it's not relevant to you. If you use a 16550/16C950 UART that driver will in general work better than the /dev/ttySx support in AspeQt/RespeQt (and result in lower system load).

I've created AtariSIO almost 20 years ago, when "real" serial ports were the norm and USB adapters were exotic, and still support it.

In the meanwhile it can also deal with USB adapters and other serial ports and you can also use it with eg a Lotharek dual 1050-2-PC/SIO2PC USB adapter or a Raspberry Pi to directly access a 1050 or XF551 in 1050-2-PC mode.

You can find more info about AtariSIO and download it here: https://www.horus.com/~hias/atari/#atarisio

so long,

Hias

• Like 4

• 6 months later...

Thanks ! Those "Githubs" are driving me crazy.

It's a system where everyone expects to know how it works....and I'm too stupid LOL

However: "This release has a known bug that can brick The!Cart when you try to flash it using an ATR." oops....I'll wait a bit :)

I'm having trouble getting my SIO2PC cable to play well with my 1050 disk drive. Whenever the cable is connected to both the 8-bit through the 1050 and the pc, my 600xl will always try to send commands through the cable and completely ignore the 1050 if it is set to drive #1, even if I don't have RespeQt running. When I set my 1050 to drive #2, the 600xl will seemingly send commands to both the pc and the disk drive, but will otherwise ignore the 1050.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2021 at 9:19 PM, The Mr. Video said:

I'm having trouble getting my SIO2PC cable to play well with my 1050 disk drive. Whenever the cable is connected to both the 8-bit through the 1050 and the pc, my 600xl will always try to send commands through the cable and completely ignore the 1050 if it is set to drive #1, even if I don't have RespeQt running. When I set my 1050 to drive #2, the 600xl will seemingly send commands to both the pc and the disk drive, but will otherwise ignore the 1050.

need to now your Respeqt version, need to know your setting in Respeqt, need to see your sio2pc cable and it's wiring, also need to make sure you don't have any drive populated in conflict with your real drive as there are options that allow for this