IGNORED

How many of us "geezers" are down with the Retro VGS?

Austin

The Retro VGS. Do you think it is awesome? (Yes or no...)  

74 members have voted

1. 1. The Retro VGS. Do you think it is awesome? (Yes or no...)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Hey, don't blame me, so much as that Reaperman dude..

Since we're a good chunk of the target audience, how about a poll to show what percentage of us geezers are 'down' with this thing?

Or I suppose we could just let kickstarter sort that out, but that sounds like less fun.

So vote in regards to how you feel!

Oh yeah, and the "original" RVGS thread link: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/235430-how-has-this-not-been-posted-yet-retro-vgs/

• Like 1

A video game console that plays carts - of course I'm interested! However, I won't vote because none of us know enough about it yet to determine it's awesomeness. Will I be buying one? Most likely.

For someone like me who refuses to buy games digitally*, this console is perfect. I know I am missing some great games by boycotting downloadable games, and the RVGS could be the perfect outlet for devs to put their game on a physical cart so "geezers" like me can play them whenever the hell we want (now or 30 years from now).

*I did buy Pac-Man Championship Edition DX because shit, I couldn't help it. It's awesome!

Thanks--I suppose I could have done it myself, but I didn't really want to give the jaguar2 another publicity thread.

Perhaps this thing should have hid in the jag forum until it was more than a recycled case. Or at least until it decided if it was a classic or modern system.

Edited by Reaperman

CARTRIDGES! That's the whole gimmick here. So in 60 years when we're all dead, the games will still be around in physical format.

I kinda like having everything on a CF card plugged into an IDE port.

I have a cartridge that never needs swapped and the mirrored backup fits in less space than a single CARTRIDGE!

I guess I'm just not a cart fanatic.

• Like 2

At $400 I don't have the money to buy it even if I were interested in it. Not putting everything else I typically buy on hold just to save up money for it either. I'll watch the kickstarter, would be nice if despite all else it ends up succeeding but I'm skeptical. If it does have cartridge adapters for a lot of the old systems I have and plays them flawlessly then maybe at that point I'll look into it. Even if I have the original console, having a system that would hopefully have less than a 1 amp power brick to power it would still be a good thing. Plus it would be easier to the one system in rather than 10.

But regardless of those potential benefits, it's still not worth the price tag right now when I have other things to pay. If it gets produced and is still around and available a couple years from now and I have lots of cash to spend, I'll re-examine how much I want it. Prior to that, if I manage to save up 400 bucks I'll most likely end up looking at a Wii U first.

• Like 1

I will admit that it looks as if a lot of hard and quality work is going into this thing. That said, I am completely underwhelmed by it. I already have too many retro systems and choices in my living room. I don't spend enough time playing them as it is and I have true nostalgic love for them. I have almost no room or interest in a new "retro" system that doesn't tug at the old-school heartstrings.

Perhaps this thing should have hid in the jag forum until it was more than a recycled case. Or at least until it decided if it was a classic or modern system.

Hell no, we evicted the thread. When something is too shitty for Jaguar fans you know you have a sure fire winner!

• Like 3

I kinda like having everything on a CF card plugged into an IDE port.

I have a cartridge that never needs swapped and the mirrored backup fits in less space than a single CARTRIDGE!

Alright now.. let us have a little fun.

Imagine a small black box resembling any arbitrary console. Very nondescript. Generic and unassuming. Got a few red LEDs that just light up and indicate nothing but power and activity. On top is a REAL cartridge slot that accepts, well, a real cartridge. This one cartridge contains Game Programs, manuals, and notes. The system is highly configurable and emphasizes the newest display technologies. System software and hardware is user-updatable at any time at any level of granularity. 1 single individual data bit? The entire system? You can do it all. And while it has modern and old-school network connectivity, none is required for operation. It has user programmable ports for custom controllers, original classic controllers, and various other input devices. Sound? We hear you, and offer you analog + digital outputs. Developers? You're the most important part, flip through thousands of pages of theory of ops and source code. It's all there, along with a 20+ years track record of documented non-stop improvements.

The following systems and many of their peripherals are supported straight out of the box:

VCS, Intellivision, Colecovision, Vectrex, Astrocade, Odyssey^2

Atari 400/800, 5200, 7800, 520/1040ST, 130XE, 800XL, XEGS

TRS-80 Color Computer, Model I, II, III, Vic-20, C64, Microvision

Aquarius, Coleco Adam, Apple-//e, ][, ][+, ///, Timex Sinclair ZX-81

Amiga 500/1000, TI-994/A, PSX-1, SMS, SNES, NES, Genesis

X32, Macintosh 128K, Kim-1, Cosmac VIP, Gameboy, Lynx

IBM PC 8088 through Pentium class and beyond.

All of them and so much more.

Some systems can make use of special performance enhancing options not available anywhere else. There's more. If you happen to own a traditional classic system you can use the powerful utility kit (included free) to enhance your experience of your original hardware. But wait. We're not done yet. It supports authentic, genuine, classic arcade games! By God with a miracle, and Jesus on a motorcycle, did you say arcade games? Yes, we said "arcade games". In all their original glory. Working on State-of-the-Art reliable 21st century hardware. Can you imagine that? Raster radiance or vector vibrancy, we see it both ways. You will too. Think of the possibilities! The endless waves of fun! The good times! It's all here!

Build your own full-size arcade cabinet.

Reminisce in the sights and sounds of a bygone era.

Play anywhere, any time.

Save and preserve the art of the videogame for generations to come.

Program the next multi-million best seller.

Relax to an evening of solo (or multiplayer) gaming.

Curate your own personal videogame library.

Whatever you want to do - this powerhouse has you covered. Ladies and Gentlemen..

PRESENTING

THE

<=> KVGS <=>

ONE SYSTEM..

ONE CARTRIDGE..

TO RULE THEM ALL !!

• Like 1

Alright now.. let us have a little fun.

Imagine a small black box resembling any arbitrary console. Very nondescript. Generic and unassuming. Got a few red LEDs that just light up and indicate nothing but power and activity. On top is a REAL cartridge slot that accepts, well, a real cartridge. This one cartridge contains Game Programs, manuals, and notes. The system is highly configurable and emphasizes the newest display technologies. System software and hardware is user-updatable at any time at any level of granularity. 1 single individual data bit? The entire system? You can do it all. And while it has modern and old-school network connectivity, none is required for operation. It has user programmable ports for custom controllers, original classic controllers, and various other input devices. Sound? We hear you, and offer you analog + digital outputs. Developers? You're the most important part, flip through thousands of pages of theory of ops and source code. It's all there, along with a 20+ years track record of documented non-stop improvements.

The following systems and many of their peripherals are supported straight out of the box:

VCS, Intellivision, Colecovision, Vectrex, Astrocade, Odyssey^2

Atari 400/800, 5200, 7800, 520/1040ST, 130XE, 800XL, XEGS

TRS-80 Color Computer, Model I, II, III, Vic-20, C64, Microvision

Aquarius, Coleco Adam, Apple-//e, ][, ][+, ///, Timex Sinclair ZX-81

Amiga 500/1000, TI-994/A, PSX-1, SMS, SNES, NES, Genesis

X32, Macintosh 128K, Kim-1, Cosmac VIP, Gameboy, Lynx

IBM PC 8088 through Pentium class and beyond.

All of them and so much more.

Some systems can make use of special performance enhancing options not available anywhere else. There's more. If you happen to own a traditional classic system you can use the powerful utility kit (included free) to enhance your experience of your original hardware. But wait. We're not done yet. It supports authentic, genuine, classic arcade games! By God with a miracle, and Jesus on a motorcycle, did you say arcade games? Yes, we said "arcade games". In all their original glory. Working on State-of-the-Art reliable 21st century hardware. Can you imagine that? Raster radiance or vector vibrancy, we see it both ways. You will too. Think of the possibilities! The endless waves of fun! The good times! It's all here!

Build your own full-size arcade cabinet.

Reminisce in the sights and sounds of a bygone era.

Play anywhere, any time.

Save and preserve the art of the videogame for generations to come.

Program the next multi-million best seller.

Relax to an evening of solo (or multiplayer) gaming.

Curate your own personal videogame library.

Whatever you want to do - this powerhouse has you covered. Ladies and Gentlemen..

PRESENTING

THE

<=> KVGS <=>

ONE SYSTEM..

ONE CARTRIDGE..

TO RULE THEM ALL !!

Pics or it didn't happen. :D

• Like 2

I kinda have an irrational hatred towards the Jaguar based solely on how it pushed the more promising Lynx out of the market only to fail spectacularly so it will be a cold day in Phoenix before I have anything that looks like it in my house.

I like the idea of a new retro-style console but this particular "geezer" is way past his bulk-collecting days and is getting ready to sell off a significant chunk of his collection. There's simply not enough time to play and enjoy all of these games. Adding another console to my mix is a tough sell. If I can't find time to enjoy actual retro games what chance does this have?

Not only that, a new console needs to have quality exclusive games out of the gate or else it will be DOA. Super 3D Noah's Ark? Are they serious? I see no reason to buy their console when most of their launch titles are (or will be) available elsewhere. Whet our appetites with a tech demo that shows off what the console is capable of. Show us something that an existing retro console can't do. All I'm seeing are games that look like they could be ported to the SuperNES or Genesis, systems I already own and would rather buy games for.