IGNORED

Catalog madness

KylJoy

Aaaargh!!! Think Kirk or even Ren from the "Space Madness" episode of Ren and Stimpy...

*** BEGIN KIRK/REN IMPRESSION MODE ***

Can't... find... info......................... Must... Fight..... urge............... to............. FREAK.............................

*** END KIRK/REN IMPRESSION MODE ***

This information MUST EXIST SOMEWHERE!!!

Question is... Which Mattel catalogs came with which cart? I only collect original releases (first print box with cart, etc.), at least, that is my ultimate goal, and I can not seem to find a list anywhere of which Mattel catalogs came with which cartridges. Heck, I'm not sure a catalog came with every original release. For instance, did the Poker & Blackjack that came with the console have a catalog in its box?

Why, oh why, is this information not on the INTV Funhouse site!?!?!?

How do others here deal with this? Do others put catalogs in their cart boxes?

HOW ON EARTH ARE OUR COLLECTIONS COMPLETE IF NOT!?!?!?

HOW CAN WE GO ON LIVING WITHOUT THIS?!?!?!?

IS THIS THE VERY END OF ALL THINGS GOOD AND HOLY?!?!?!?

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whew...

My obsessive-compulsive disorder is giving me fits on this one. I haven't even got to third party stuff yet. :)

My wife hates me...

• Like 3

There are a few reasons you can't really have a good mapping of catalog to game release:

• The likelihood of having original catalog in original game box after 30+ years for opened games is extremely low, generally speaking
  • We have little to no knowledge of how the manufacturing process worked
  • Sometimes games didn't include a catalog at all
  • Doubt many will open their existing shrinkwrapped games to tell us ;)

The same game could have had several different catalogs, depending on when it was sealed up for shipping. I.e. would they use up the 'blue' catalogs before switching to the latest printing, or toss them out? Who knows? But it could have been that the SNAFU cartridges coming down the conveyor belt had a blue catalog at 11:38:12 AM and at 11:38:22 AM the stack of catalogs in the hopper hit the new black covered ones. Hell, there might even be more blue ones in the hopper, too!

Maybe cmart could tell us whether the specific catalog in the box should qualify as a variation. Get out the X-Ray machines to examine those sealed boxes, boys! I seem to remember some TRON carts had extra stuff in them. Or was it put there by someone who picked up a TRON flyer at the store when they bought the game and just put it in the game box because it was a convenient storage spot?

IMO, the *oldest* games probably didn't have a catalog at all. My gut feel is that maybe late 1980 or early 1981 the catalogs started coming along w/ the games, since there was enough released content, in addition to a full pipeline. But, at least in the US, were there ever any Mattel catalogs included w/ games that had the ECS stuff? I can't recall...

• Like 2

Get out the X-Ray machines to examine those sealed boxes, boys! I seem to remember some TRON carts had extra stuff in them. Or was it put there by someone who picked up a TRON flyer at the store when they bought the game and just put it in the game box because it was a convenient storage spot?

Yyyyes! Let's take up a collection to buy an x-ray machine! Where will we store it? :)

I've got 25 games that were bought new (three of these I bought later as an adult). I've kept all the catalogs in their original boxes, except for three. I have one each of G1/G2/G3 that I must have kept separate for reference. I've also bought some used games but they never had the catalog. Maybe they were lost by the previous owner, or maybe the seller pulled the catalog.

Six of the 25 are Canadian (bilingual) games and don't have catalogs. Canadian instructions were often thick and there wasn't much room for extras. This includes Burgertime (its box is a little different).

These five games came with catalog 00073350-G1:

Space Battle, NASL Soccer, NHL Hockey, NBA Basketball, NFL Football

Star Strike came with catalog 0007-3350A.

These thee games came with catalog 0007-3350-G2:

Triple Action, Lock 'N' Chase, B17 Bomber

These three games came with catalog 0007-3350-G3:

USCF Chess, Vectron, Masters of The Universe

Tron Solar Sailor came with catalog 0151-240

This leaves six of my games missing catalogs:

LV Poker and Black Jack, Sea Battle, Tron Deadly Discs, Shark! Shark!, Bomb Squad, Bump 'N' Jump

I do have three extra catalogs but I'm a little surprised to be still missing two or three. I'm guessing the G3 goes with Bump'N'Jump, and the G1 goes with Sea Battle, its impossible to be certain. The other odd thing is that my Poker&BJ is the American version but the Inteliivision it came in is the Canadian bilingual version.

My Trons don't have any other extras. My Masters of The Universe is the only one with a warranty card (and the comic). My USCF Chess has a warning card and a correction sheet. None of my games are the old originals with the full colour instructions. Space Battle (blue box) is the oldest game I have and it has a catalog. Actually my NHL hockey is old (the box refers to the keyboard component) and it has a catalog.

When I open a box that has no catalog, I've always felt like something is missing but I don't know if I consider it incomplete. But consider if someone has a game but is just missing the instructions; then they find a loose copy to include but it's actually the wrong version of the instructions for that box/overlay/cart set. I would consider that incomplete.

Good luck cataloging the catalogs!

• Like 1

Aww, I typed a big response on my phone, but lost it before posting :(

So, much of the content my original erased post was covered by Steve...mostly comments about how it would be difficult considering all of the known variants and how entities with large inventories can mix and match parts to upgrade CIB copies or make completes from spare parts. Then there's how the original owners stored them. My original NES collection got jumbled up tons of times over the years. I eventually tried to CIB them, but who knows.

A quick comment about catalog storage, though. I remove all of my catalogs from my Intellivision games. They add extra thickness that can warp the gatefold boxes. Thick manuals are bad enough (you hear me, NFL?). I've actually considered storing my manuals and overlays apart from the boxes, but decided against it. Maybe just the NFL playbooks ;-) Just my two cents.

Edited by JasonlikesINTV

Sears had at least one flyer, and of course there were the ginormous yearly catalogs, but other than that, I'm not sure. Don't think I.I. ever did anything -- they probably just used up whatever was left over from Mattel -- if that. Leaving out the extra weight of the catalog, when shipping thousands of units -- could have saved some decent change.

Games I opened [serial on box] : Mattel catalog number

Armor Battle [1121-0710 G1] : 0007-3350A

Auto Racing [1113-0710 G1] : 0007-3350A

Boxing [1819-0810] : 00073550

Horse Racing [1123-0910] : 00073350-G1

Las Vegas Poker & Blackjack [2611-0910 G1] : 00073350-G1

Las Vegas Roulette [1118-0910-G1] : 00073350-G1

Night Stalker [5305-0910] : 0007-3350A

Sea Battle [1818-0910] : 00073350

US Ski Team Skiing [1817-0910-G1] : 00073350

Space Battle [2612-0910-G1] : 0007-3350A

Star Strike [5161-0910] : 00073350-G1

Tron Maze-A-Tron [5392-0910] : 0007-3350G3

Edited by TestaOn
  • Like 1

Games I opened [serial on box] : Mattel catalog number

Armor Battle [1121-0710 G1] : 0007-3350A

Auto Racing [1113-0710 G1] : 0007-3350A

Boxing [1819-0810] : 00073550

Horse Racing [1123-0910] : 00073350-G1

Las Vegas Poker & Blackjack [2611-0910 G1] : 00073350-G1

Las Vegas Roulette [1118-0910-G1] : 00073350-G1

Night Stalker [5305-0910] : 0007-3350A

Sea Battle [1818-0910] : 00073350

US Ski Team Skiing [1817-0910-G1] : 00073350

Space Battle [2612-0910-G1] : 0007-3350A

Star Strike [5161-0910] : 00073350-G1

Tron Maze-A-Tron [5392-0910] : 0007-3350G3

Your Star Strike has a catalog that Star Strike is not in. My Star Strike and Space Battle catalogs are reversed to yours.

I've attached my part numbers.

intelli cats2.xls

edit:

00073350 (USA) and 00073350-G1 (Hong Kong) are identical catalogs. Looks like they go with the Hong Kong or USA source of the box/game.

I think 00073350-G2 (Hong Kong) and 0007-3350A (USA) would do the same.

Edited by mr_me

• 2 weeks later...

I also try to match original catalogs and warranty cards to all of my complete games as well. Since there are multiple versions of each game released at different times you can end up with versions of the same game that came with different catalogs depending on that particular copy's release date. To simplify, and because this is one of things that we will likely never know for certain, I just use the list on the back of the catalogs as a reference. So the blue covers are the oldest (0073350) followed by the black 0007-3350A then the 0007-3350G. Since the game list grows with each release I just go with the oldest listing on the blue as the games that need that version and so on. In effect...

Blue 00073350 (-G1) Games

NFL Football

US Ski Team Skiing

Major League Baseball

Auto Racing

Boxing

Tennis

PBA Bowling

NBA Basketball

PGA Golf

NASL Soccer

NHL Hockey

Armor Battle

Sea Battle

Snafu

Triple Action

Las Vegas Poker & Blackjack

Las Vegas Roulette

Horse Racing

ABPA Backgammon

Checkers

Dungeons & Dragons

Math Fun

Word Fun

Space Battle

Astrosmash

Space Armada

Black 0007-3350A

Night Stalker

Sub Hunt

Frog Bog

Tron I (Deadly Discs)

Tron II (Maze A Tron)

Space Spartans

Bomb Squad

B-17 Bomber

Royal Dealer

Utopia

Reversi

Space Hawk

Star Strike

**Pinball is listed on this catalog but was delayed until 1983 yet does not appear on the more recent G3 version of the catalog.

Black 0007-3350G3

Lock 'N' Chase

(Tron) Solar Sailor

USCF Chess

All of the 1983 releases came with the G3 catalog as well even though they do not appear on the back cover. This includes Pinball from the Black A catalog.

Vectron

Sharp Shot

Shark! Shark!

Burgertime

Mission-X

Buzz Bombers

Pinball

Loco Motion

AD&D Treasure of Tarmin

Bump 'n' Jump

Motocross

Kool-AId Man

The Power of He-Man

Scooby Doo's Maze Craze

Mind Strike

Melody Blaster

The Jetsons Ways With Words

Mr. Basic Meets Bits 'N Bytes

World Series Major League Baseball

Again, we will never know for sure how accurate this is and I'm certain there were games on this list that were released with more than one version of the catalog at different times. But I think it makes sense if you are going for earliest, first run release of each game to pair them with the catalog in which they first appear on the back listing.

Edited by the1hatman
  • Like 1

You can be certain. If you buy the game new and open it, you know what catalog it came with. There are problems with assumptions. Tron Solar Sailor (box 5393-0910 US) came with brochure 0151-240 and no catalog. Lock'N'Chase (box 5637-0910-G1 HK) came with the G2 catalog. The 'G2' catalog is the Hong Kong equivalent of the US 0007-3350A catalog.

Looks like up to 1983, the Hong Kong catalogs went with the Hong Kong boxes and the US catalogs went with the US boxes. It also looks like the original games with blue catalogs when reproduced with updated trayless boxes also got an updated catalog. I wonder if the earliest games made in 1979/80 came with catalogs.

You can be certain. If you buy the game new and open it, you know what catalog it came with. There are problems with assumptions. Tron Solar Sailor (box 5393-0910 US) came with brochure 0151-240 and no catalog. Lock'N'Chase (box 5637-0910-G1 HK) came with the G2 catalog. The 'G2' catalog is the Hong Kong equivalent of the US 0007-3350A catalog.

Looks like up to 1983, the Hong Kong catalogs went with the Hong Kong boxes and the US catalogs went with the US boxes. It also looks like the original games with blue catalogs when reproduced with updated trayless boxes also got an updated catalog. I wonder if the earliest games made in 1979/80 came with catalogs.

I have to disagree. I have opened the same game and seen multiple versions of the catalog. It all depends on the date of the particular run for that game. For instance my mint Lock'N'Chase came with the G3 version. Now is it possible some A versions were still in stock early in the run for some games? Sure, but it can never be certain as to what was originally packed with each original release. For my collection I will default to the catalog list and go with the version where each game is listed for the first time (with the known exception of Pinball).

if you can, please provide part numbers/country for boxes and catalogs of the games that you've opened.

I haven't really kept records on such a thing, just used an example I knew from the top of my head. I can keep an account going forward though. We should probably keep up a database on such a thing for research if nothing else. Many of us like to have everything in our collections be as original as possible with all items available at the time of release so such information would be very valuable for the community as a whole.

Could be that the USA Lock'N'Chase came with the G3 catalog and the Hong Kong version came with the G2 catalog. As far as I know there was no Hong Kong catalog equivalent to G3, so maybe G2 was the latest version catalog printed in Hong Kong.

That's another possibility. My copy was a US release with the USA marked G2 catalog. Cracked the shrinkwrap myself and never changed out the contents as they were all still mint with the small exception of the overlays leaving a slight impression on the front of the manual. You have to hold it up to the light at just the right angle to even notice it though.

My guess is either there are US releases with both the G2 and G3 catalogs that changed from one to the next as time went on or a very limited run was produced with leftover G2 books at the very beginning of L'N'Cs release just to use them up. We will likely never know for sure. I really believe there is merit on keeping a checklist of newly opened games and their contents by serial number, when possible.

There are three versions of the catalog and five different part numbers (as far as I know).

v1 (1981 blue): 00073350 (USA), 00073350-G1 (Hong Kong)

v2 (1982 black): 0007-3350A (USA), 0007-3350-G2 (Hong Kong)

v3 (1982 black): 0007-3350-G3 (USA)

And then there is brochure 0151-240 (rather than a catalog) that came with Intellivoice games made in the USA.